Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Neon Demon (Refn, 2016) Movie • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by WordsfromaSong, Apr 14, 2016.

1. alex miller

Regular

The entire opening sequence is very restrained. The violence throughout the entire movie is brutal but it's swift and to the point. It doesn't linger for overt shock value.

Have you seen TND yet? Drive will look pretty damn subtle after you do..

2. Morrissey

Trusted

A lot of the violence was for shock value. That is why Joan gets her head blown up, a guy gets tortured in a strip club, and a guy is stomped to death in an elevator. Shock and a lack of nuance was what so many people loved about it; the main character is nameless and has a scorpion on his jacket.

I have not seen the Neon Demon. I will probably not see it until the end of the year, but I came dangerously close today when the beach was too crowded to enjoy peace. I was going to be seven minutes late to the theater so I decided not to. I really wanted popcorn and of all the films available in my area it seemed like the Neon Demon would at least make me feel something. The shark movie was the original pick but a PG-13 shark movie is not really worth seeing.

alex miller likes this.
  3. alex miller

Regular

I absolutely agree with you that the violence in Drive was for shock value but The Neon Demon takes that to deafening levels. When I say "subtlety and nuance," I mean how it pertains to the films of Nicolas Winding Refn... not generally speaking. I can't really explain any more until you see the movie for comparison. All of the violence and gruesomeness felt justified in Drive and the filmmaking itself was restrained in comparison to his latest movies.

The marketing of The Shallows has been pretty damn good. The TV spots have me hooked every time they come on. It is a shame it's PG-13. I'll still probably check it out though

4. Liz

Ew, David

I loved it. It didn't really have a plot but, weirdly enough, that didn't bother me. I though it was beautiful & disturbing. Also I can't stop thinking about the ending

5. angel paste

grey hairs, get out of me zoots! Prestigious

this movie really reminded me of Beyond The Black Rainbow which I really like, it was just such a beautiful thing to watch and that's what pulls you in even though it's really slow and none of the characters ever really blow you away or really even have an interesting conversation lol. Which is why I think it's pretty interesting that the movie gets harder to watch as it goes on, the movie seems like one idea expanding on itself until it's pushed to it's extreme. In that regard I guess I wished it got a little more extreme? It did in the subject matter of what was being shown but it showed it in the same way still? I don't know what I'm trying to say.

6. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

I just got out of it. It's gonna take some time to fully process my thoughts, but I didn't hate it.

alex miller likes this.
  7. alex miller

Regular

Yeah. It's one of those movies you can appreciate for being so bold and absolutely beautiful to look at. No doubt.

8. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I feel like a lot of the criticism tossed at the last two Malick films are way more fitting from the last two Refn films. He's become style over substance more than ever, but I do think this is infinitely better than Only God Forgives. As an audio/visual experience it's aces. The last half hour is pretty much dialogue free, which helps.

I'd really like Refn to try two things. First, I'd really like him to do straight up horror. He's flirted with the genre with the last two films, but I'd like him to go all or nothing sometime. I also would love to see him do a film that's dialogue free. I love the style of his films, but the hack dialogue is where he loses me a lot of the time.

I seem negative, but I ended up really liking this by the end. Part of me wants to believe it's Showgirls level satire, because it honest to god has the same vibe to it, but I'm all but certain that satire is not in Refn's interest with this film.

9. angel paste

grey hairs, get out of me zoots! Prestigious

the style is the substance for refn I feel, but can we really complain when we barely ever get movies this visually stunning?

I would like to see a film without dialogue too, his scripts are kind of hard to love with the exception of Bronson and his storytelling is mostly visual anyway so I think it could work.

10. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

been re-watching some Refn before I see this and damn is Drive a different movie now that I'm not 17

11. dash64

This is my design

Watched this last night and I think I'm the only person in my showing that didn't hate it. It had my attention the entire time, and I wouldn't have minded if it had been a little longer.

12. angrycandy

The more I think about this movie, the more I like it, and I don't really like any of his other films that much.

13. Saw this last night. Completely indulgent for better and worse. Not recommended for the morally conscionable. I enjoyed this quite a bit, but haven't seen NWR's other films in a while so I can't compare really.

EDIT: The soundtrack was fantastic. Need to look it up.

14. dash64

This is my design

It's definitely more accessible than Only God Forgives.

15. Really wanna see this. I hate how it's not showing anywhere near me though. As usual. Bleh.

16. ForestOfAllusion

Old Aesthetic Prestigious

just watched, enjoyed. For those looking for another Drive, nope. For those disappointed by Only God Forgives, see this.

17. Still one of my favorite movies of the year.

18. Liz

Ew, David

Its out on dvd in the US September 27th

19. Refn's new series Too Old To Die Young premieres on Amazon Prime June 14.

dash64 likes this.
  20. angrycandy

looks so good

21. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Trailer was so boring I couldn't even get through it. I really dislike Miles Teller. I might still give it a shot. Refn is WAY more miss than hit for me, but I do find him interesting.

22. angrycandy

in what world is that trailer boring

23. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

yeah that was wild

angrycandy likes this.
  24. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

The trailer didn't do anything for me and I'm not a fan of Miles Teller either, but I love Refn's style, so I'm sure I'll check it out.

25. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Did anyone watch Too Old to Die Young? Heard it’s pretty awful