Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The National Band • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Deathco_019, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Paddy

// _ _ _ _ _ _ _ //

I was thinking yesterday, I hope there's another Cherry Tree/Virginia/High Violet Bonus Tracks Edition this time around.

2. Emperor Y

Jesus rides beside me Prestigious

"walrus dick jewelry for everyone in America"

3. Paddy

// _ _ _ _ _ _ _ //

4. EngineDown

formerly known as chill yoshi

5. Kyle is hk

Not Kyle Shanahan Prestigious

never listened to JM but that was quite good

6. Emperor Y

Jesus rides beside me Prestigious

I'm always struck by how mean Matt'a lyrics could be. "You wouldn't want an angel watching over you / surprise surprise they wouldn't wanna watch" is just wilting.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  7. EngineDown

formerly known as chill yoshi

you sure have wilting on the mind today, huh

Jose and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  8. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

their album cody is one of my favorites from this year. it's only 26 minutes, check it out!

Aj LaGambina likes this.
  9. Importer/Exporter

he’ll live forever in the sound of broken glass Supporter

Well. New album is about to be weird as fuck. Good.

Contender likes this.
  10. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

it's either going to be really good or really bad, hah

11. Importer/Exporter

I feel like it'll be the kind of album that most people hate but I love lol which tbh is probably what they need to become not lame.

cwhit likes this.
  12. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

yeah i can see that. i can see the 4.0 on pitchfork already

13. PAVEMENT?? IS THAT YOU???

14. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

It's kinda crazy that they're writing faster stuff like this. Matt's voice really struggled with the older, more energetic stuff when I saw them live this summer and it's pretty clear in this video too. I'm very excited to hear a studio version of this song though.

15. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Yeah, I think Matt sounds like he's struggling in that video to keep up, but that's definitely got my attention

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  16. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

it will be good

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  17. DaydreamNation Jan 25, 2017
    (Last edited: Jan 26, 2017)
    Even Steven Malkmus got bad at being Steven Malkmus eventually.

I don't listen to this band as much these days, but what I still enjoy of their catalog is not the older rowdier material to which that live vid seems to harken back. I'm really not interested in a record that rehashes the mental space of Sad Songs or Alligator, which seems to be what they're gearing up for. Maybe it's just my personal past experience with those records, but I heard Alligator for the first time in a few years in December and some of it made me wince. On-the-nose sexual frustrations of the barely post-adolescent male don't really resonate with me too much anymore.

However, I would love another record from them like HV with its broad and measured strokes, and warm-sounding dread. That one and Boxer still hold up for me.

18. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

I listen to the last 5 very regularly. Sad Songs deserves to sit alongside the rest imo. It's got some great material.

Alligator and High Violet are tied for my favorites and they both contain my two favorite songs by the band (Conversation 16 and City Middle).

I'm so excited for this next record. While they've done a good job of mixing things up a little bit between records, i look forward to a big departure and weirder song ideas.

angrycandy likes this.
  19. adamlikesdogs

@meaninglessritual

I love this band so much sometimes it actually hurts. Alligator is a top album for me and sometimes I think All of the Wine is a top 5 song of all time ever.

Their last album was nothing super amazing, but I'm pretty excited for the new album, especially if it's got some more energy in it like some of the live videos seem to hint at.

20. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Still need to listen to HV. Love Alligator, and Boxer.

21. josh-

Twitter: @joshcaraballin

Trouble will find me is their best album though.

KennedyBN and Aj LaGambina like this.
  22. Importer/Exporter

Trouble Will Find Me and Alligator are both the best National albums, for very different reasons.

fame likes this.
  23. tucah

not champ Prestigious

High Violet is my favorite.

24. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I just cycle through Boxer, Trouble Will Find Me and Alligator. All I know is HV or the two early records aren't my number 1.

25. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

Boxer

Kyle is hk likes this.