Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The National Band • Page 19

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Deathco_019, Mar 15, 2016.

1. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

TWFM
    Boxer
    SWB
    High Violet
    IAETF
    Alligator
    Sad Songs
    The National

Yes I know I said IAETF is top tier but tbf the top 5 albums are all relatively close for me.

FrankieThe4th likes this.
  2. Jim

Trusted Supporter

Boxer
    HV
    Alligator

IAMETF
    TWFM
    SWB

Sad Songs
    The National

The top three and middle three change for me like hourly

3. Cameron Jul 30, 2020
    (Last edited: Jul 30, 2020)
    Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Alligator and Boxer will always be my favs

4. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

Alligator is good but I pretty easily prefer every single album that came after it

Leftandleaving and zmtr like this.
  5. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

The good songs on IAETF are definitely some of their best, but it’s way too long and there’s a lot of boring stuff

Crisp X likes this.
  6. Signifire

Headphones blaring three stacks Prestigious

This is largely how I feel. I probably need to revisit it, the songs I love I really love. It’s just a bit of a chore to listen to it all the way through.

7. mintplusplus

Do You Remember?

I’m all about SWB & IAETF. Their control over their music is masterful right now. They’ve figured out how to make single notes, a brief guitar flash, and a quick drum flourish hit harder IMO than the cacophony of strings/horns/guitars.

The last two albums have also sounded the most human and warm, despite their colder sonic palette. They’re my favorite band but their recordings have been a bit flat and pieced together in the studio at times.

That said, a big part of why people like them, especially High Violet heads, has been de-prioritized. Less clever Matt lyrics, less shimmering guitars, less epic/bombastic climaxes, etc. And it IS boring and slow. So, no judgment if the IAETF songs aren’t doing it for you.

For me, only the interludes are a problem. I’d be ok with them being gone. Everything else I’m really into and I find it exciting that they can keep morphing slightly into a third decade with quality releases.

8. Importer/Exporter

he’ll live forever in the sound of broken glass Supporter

Thought it was interesting in Matt’s interview with Phoebe where he talks about not liking the lyrics on Sad Songs tracks. Definitely a lot of angry white guy stuff happening on those first three records+cherry tree. I love a lot of it, but i get feeling uncomfortable with yourself having written those lyrics.

9. Gianni

Trusted

Threw on Alligator randomly this evening because out of their 6 most recent records it’s the one I’ve heard the least (became a fan starting with Boxer) and fuck what a great record. The last 5 tracks starting with “all the wine” are an amazing transition into the “classic” era of The National. What a band.

josh-, navidson, Surfwax and 2 others like this.
  10. josh-

Twitter: @joshcaraballin

All the wine is always in my summer playlists.

Gianni28 likes this.