Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The National Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Deathco_019, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Deathco_019

Drummer

The National is an American indie rock band from Cincinnati, Ohio, formed in 1999. Currently based in Brooklyn, the band consists of Matt Berninger(vocals), Aaron Dessner (guitar, keyboards), Bryce Dessner (guitar), Scott Devendorf (bass) and Bryan Devendorf (drums).

Founded by Berninger, Scott and Bryan Devendorf, and Aaron Dessner, The National released their self-titled debut album, The National (2001), on Brassland Records, an independent record label founded by Dessner and his twin brother, Bryce. Bryce Dessner, who had assisted in recording the album, soon joined as a full member, participating in the recording of its follow-up, Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers (2003).

Leaving behind their day jobs, The National signed with Beggars Banquet Records and released their third studio album, Alligator (2005), to widespread critical acclaim. The band's fourth and fifth studio albums, Boxer (2007) and High Violet (2010), increased their exposure significantly. In 2013, the band released its sixth studio album, Trouble Will Find Me. It was nominated in the 2014 Grammys for Best Alternative Album.

In an interview published in November 2015, Berninger expressed the band's desire to play their new songs in a live setting before recording them: "Over the summer of 2016 we're going to do a lot of shows with the new stuff and then record the next National album."

2. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

I love how they experimented with odd time and rhythm on the last album. Curious to see where their sound is headed.

3. Deathco_019

Drummer

Very excited for their next album. TWFM has become one of my favorite albums of all time since I started listening to this band back in 2013.

4. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Bought passes to see them headline Field Trip in June. Super excited because I didnt think I'd see them this year. And taking my girlfriend to see them for her first time! Can't wait to hear the new songs they said they'd be playing this year.

5. Meerkat

I'm really curious if Bryce's classical music ventures will sneak into the new music at all

6. phaynes1

Regular

he's been into that for a while, i doubt it

7. Meerkat

I mean, I mostly meant "will we hear added instrumentation on the next record" more than anything. I'm not expecting any major injections of it

phaynes1 likes this.
  8. Signifire

Headphones blaring three stacks Prestigious

Probably my favorite band. Need new music this year please

9. phaynes1 Mar 30, 2016
    (Last edited: Mar 30, 2016)
    phaynes1

Regular

they have a song on that grateful dead comp that dessners put together

10. tucah

not champ Prestigious

They've already said no new record this year, though I guess we can hope for a single and there are the Grateful Dead covers.

11. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

They have a few actually. One of them is out already.

12. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Found this lengthy post by IWasaCamera about "Slow Show" around the time I got into the band (late May '09) that I thought was worth saving:

Didn't actually read all of this but will later.

Nick likes this.
  13. Emperor Y

Jesus rides beside me Prestigious

I've read at least Matt and I think Aaron say that they are hoping to make the next record a little more stripped down. I'd love if they took some of the reverb off the vocals. I love their last two records, but I always liked Matt's voice better in the SSFDL / Cherry Treee / Alligator era.

14. Paddy

// _ _ _ _ _ _ _ //

I was hoping they'd be changing the live set up a bit more but it's still extremely High Violet-heavy. It's time they just cherry-picked the best tracks off that and lost the rest.

15. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

first time i heard Boxer was one of my favorite moments ever.

16. Jesse Atticus

Newbie Supporter

If I've never gone front to back with an album by these guys, where is a good place to start? This is a band through casual listening I've enjoyed but for sure want to digest properly.

17. Kyle is hk

Not Kyle Shanahan Prestigious

Feel like High Violet is the easiest entry to the band.

18. Tim

I think Boxer is both the best and as good a starting point as any.

Zac Djamoos and KennedyBN like this.
  19. Kyle is hk

Not Kyle Shanahan Prestigious

That is probably the right answer since Boxer is the best album of all time. Just feel like HV is more accessible in general.

Tim likes this.
  20. Tim

I dunno. The production on that album is pretty muted, which might make it harder, depending on tastes. What's a better first impression, "Terrible Love" or "Fake Empire," y'know? If anything, maybe Trouble Will Find Me is the most accessible, but Boxer is still close enough and more than excellent enough, I think.

21. Paddy

// _ _ _ _ _ _ _ //

I would start with Trouble Will Find Me actually. Then Boxer. Then Alligator.

22. MrNvmbr

High Violet or Trouble Will Find me as a starting point. It took me a long time to get in to The National, but High Violet is what did it. Boxer is their best album imo but again that took me a while to fully appreciate it. It is absolutely worth the investment for songs such as Guest Room and Green Gloves though.

23. tucah

not champ Prestigious

High Violet was what got me obsessed, so that's what I'd start with.

24. Tim

I seriously find it so weird that people are recommending High Violet as the starting point when Boxer, Trouble Will Find Me, and Alligator all seem more accessible to me.

Still a good album, of course. Just don't personally think it's as catching upon first listen.

25. Deathco_019

Drummer

I'd start with Trouble Will Find Me and just go backwards honestly. Their last four albums are all great though.