Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The National to Release New Album in September • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 10, 2017.

1. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

1) I think "Slow Show" is one of the best songs in their discography, and Boxer is a great album. Took me a few tries to really love it though.

2) I don't think he's limited vocally. I think from HV to TWFM was a great stretch for him in the way he reached for that higher register. I really dig it.

2. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Trust me, I've tried Boxer dozens upon dozens of times. It's just never clicked.

It's not necessarily just vocal range. He also just seems like a very one note singer to me in terms of color, emotion, and phrasing. A lot of their songs sound similar to me, and it's mostly because of him. He has a very pleasing baritone, and I like him in small doses--especially his lower range--but he's one of those singers that loses me over the course of a record.

3. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

Is 4 months really so long to wait? I feel like it was really common to know album release dates months and months in advance, the only difference was that promotion and presales for it didn't happen the same way through social media, and nobody did sudden, surprise album drops like sometimes happens now. Maybe I'm just misremembering, but it feels like (some) people lately imply there's a trend towards long waits, when in fact it feels the same as it's always been.