Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The National - I Am Easy To Find (May 17, 2019) Album • Page 48

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by username, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Please stop bringing up U2 when discussing this incredible band

2. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

welp there it is, surprised it took so long honestly

Cameron likes this.
  3. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I like both a lot, but I think Songs of Experience is one of their five best albums ever. It’s so gripping and personal, and so much deeper than just about anyone gave it credit for. I love it.

Honestly, I don’t think they’ve ever made a bad record. But that one really surprised me by how great I thought it was.

EDIT: I like No Line too, but the mid-section is not great.

Rowan5215 and contra11mundum like this.
  4. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

Can’t believe U2 ripped off The National

Jim, Joe4th, Craig Manning and 4 others like this.
  5. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

I love U2 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

6. Rowan5215

yeah, Boots -> Comedy -> Fez is a really rough stretch of songs, haha, but I adore the rest. cannot believe a band that deep into their career, and out of their artistic peak pulled off something like "Moment of Surrender". incredible song

I love "Best Thing About Me" and "Little Things Give You Away" off Experience a lot. there's actually a lot of underrated stuff on there too, like "Red Flag Day" and "American Soul", but it feels a little uninspiring to me. I love them taking risks

Craig Manning likes this.
  7. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

You know, I kinda want to be the one eating chocolate chip pancakes next to a charity swimming pool

8. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I'm not super fond of "I'll Go Crazy..." either. I actually like "Boots" more, of those two singles. But yeah, the first three tracks and the last three tracks on that album are next-level. "Moment of Surrender" is staggering.

Musically, Experience is definitely squarely in their wheelhouse. But I think it's the most dialed-in lyrically they've been in ages. Bono's "near-death experience" or whatever made for some interesting grappling with mortality. Plus, I think the political writing on that record, with "Summer of Love" and "Red Flag Day," is surprisingly effective.

I'd like a riskier record next time, now that they seem a little less hellbent on chasing another "Vertigo" moment. The biggest issue with Innocence is that they produced it like they still expected to land a top 40 hit. They should have stripped it back and let it be raw, like War or Boy. I think the reception to it would have been completely different if they'd done that.

Rowan5215, Mary V and Brother Beck like this.
  9. Rowan5215

I definitely have issues with the production on both the latest. Innocence sounds very washed out, but has some really cool sounding moments (the bass intro to Volcano! Raised by Wolves!). Experience is maybe better overall but still has some moments that don't land as powerfully ad they should (I'm thinking of Little Things especially which could have been one of their best). I don't hate either album by any means but they could be improved easily, to my ears

anyway I've straight up hijacked this and turned it into a U2 thread lol apologies all

10. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

I drove around for 5 hours around sunset and into darkness yesterday listening to this on repeat. I’m all about it now. It clicks. Life is good again.

11. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

after some difficulties, I finally got a playable copy of this on vinyl (the previous one had some super loud surface noise/pops on "Not in Kansas")

I've spun it so many times I haven't touched my other records

zmtr and wisdomfordebris like this.
  12. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Man there are so many great moments on this, but I keep forgetting how perfect So Far So Fast is.

13. socklord

Trusted

Need to spend time with this, obviously, but this didn't do a whole lot for me on first listen

14. IMG_20190527_214819.jpg

Oh hai.

zmtr, Rowan5215, coleslawed and 3 others like this.
  15. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

That is glorious! Mine hasn't arrived yet.

16. y'know, if anyone wants the short film soundtrack, shoot me a message :eyes:

jordalsh likes this.
  17. smowashere

Trusted Supporter

The vinyl is so beautiful.

Aregala likes this.
  18. There really is very else in this band's catalog like the version of "So Far So Fast" that ended up on the record. And I mean that in the best possible way.

19. zmtr

Trusted

This is quite easily my AOTY so far. Followed by TTMOE and Julia Jacklin’s record. Still can hardly listen to anything else lol

Cameron, Nyquist and wisdomfordebris like this.
  20. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

1) The National
    2) Big Thief
    3) Nilufar Yanya
    4) Ceres
    5) Tallest Man On Earth

But I’m on my second listen of the new Cate Le Bon record and I think it’s gonna climb up to this list FAST.

zmtr likes this.
  21. 1) Big Thief
    2) The National
    3) Vampire Weekend
    4) Strand of Oaks
    5) No clue, too many options...Sharon Van Etten/Josh Ritter/Better Oblivion Community Center/Craig Finn...

zmtr and coleslawed like this.
  22. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Super easily my AOTY, yea.

zmtr and Nyquist like this.
  23. mintplusplus May 28, 2019
    (Last edited: May 28, 2019)
    mintplusplus

Do You Remember?

IAETF
    Nilufer Yanya
    Better Oblivion