Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The National - First Two Pages... & Laugh Track Album • Page 83

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Carrow, Aug 16, 2022.

1. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

It's pretty much equal to Frankenstein in that department for me, only it's 16 minutes longer, and I really feel each of those 16 minutes when I try to listen to the whole album. Laugh Track beats them both there for me.

2. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

My favourite aspect of The National was when each part of a song would be another hook. Pink Rabbits is the perfect example. I don't get that feeling from most of the new stuff.

VanderlyleCrybaby likes this.
  3. Carrow Sep 24, 2023
    (Last edited: Sep 24, 2023)
    THEY PLAYED GEESE OF BEVERLY ROAD AND MISTAKEN FOR STRANGERS (DEDICATED TO SCOTT HUTCHISON) AND LAUGH TRACK AND ABOUT TODAY AND VANDERLYLE

I AM IN PIECES

PERFECT SHOW

4. Signifire

Headphones blaring three stacks Prestigious

That’s fair and I should probably do that. I tend to not delete songs from albums, as that isn’t how the artist intended for the music to be hard. But yeah with Easy To Find I might do it cuz them interludes are bad.

SteveLikesMusic likes this.
  5. Michael Belt

metadata incarnate Supporter

6. SuddenUrgeJoey

queer as fuck. Supporter

Or at the damn grocery, as I experienced today.

Contender and Michael Belt like this.
  7. Friendjamin

Regular Supporter

I know you’re being sarcastic but I sometimes forget I can skip tracks lol. I mostly listen to albums all the way through and I get on autopilot

8. Chcurry182

Trusted Supporter

Michael Belt and Carrow like this.
  9. Michael Belt

metadata incarnate Supporter

few complaints about the list, the biggest being the omission of Pink Rabbits, and potentially Nobody Else Will Be There (since i once made a meticulously-crafted, 4 hour narrative-driven playlist that featured the song during one of the more moody moments, lmao)

10. Dog Fish

Mutt

Sleep Well Beast is one of my best preorder decisions in recent memory that I can remember. I think I’m getting to a point where I have been whelmed by so many albums that I need to hear the thing first before purchasing.

Michael Belt likes this.
  11. SuddenUrgeJoey

queer as fuck. Supporter

I've spent the last week basically listening to nothing but this new record--it hits everything I love about this band and I'm not finding a single song that I find skippable.

12. Paddy

// _ _ _ _ _ _ _ //

After Leeds on Saturday I am absolutely in love with both of these now.

I still think it’s a real shame about the production on Frankenstein because the songs are unbelievable. Having seen them live they now exist in this strange hybrid studio/live in my head.

WanderingSquall and Carrow like this.
  13. VanderlyleCrybaby

Regular Supporter

14. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

becoming a daily ritual for me to decompress to Turn Off the House after work

15. Chcurry182

Trusted Supporter

I can't get enough of Laugh Track. Have played it every day since it came out.

16. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Same.

17. Importer/Exporter

he’ll live forever in the sound of broken glass Supporter

Feels good to love a new National record.

18. Dinkleberg

Go birds Supporter

Just finished my first listen to Laugh Track and my initial thoughts are that it’s good and that Space Invader is the best song they released this year

19. hollowmines

Regular

Gave both albums another listen. nothing on either would make a National Top....30, even

20. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

nah. Turn Off the House is top 10

21. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

There’s a handful in contention for my top 30…eucalyptus, laugh track, turn off the house, space invader, hornets, smoke detector.

22. Importer/Exporter

he’ll live forever in the sound of broken glass Supporter

Turn Off the House and Smoke Detector are both already top 15 National tracks for me.

23. Dinkleberg

Go birds Supporter

Turn Off the House was another one that stood out to me

SuddenUrgeJoey likes this.
  24. SuddenUrgeJoey

queer as fuck. Supporter

Crumble & Laugh Track are the best songs with features on these albums.

Contender likes this.
  25. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Can’t wait to make my EOTY list and be the only person with Frankenstein one slot above Laugh Track. The best tracks on this absolutely hit, though, especially “Smoke Detector.”

I made a playlist that’s just these two albums that I’ll listen to on shuffle, and while the two albums have their own clear identity, they also work great as companions. Easily the most I’ve liked listening to this band since Boxer knocked me down all those years ago.

Contender and SteveLikesMusic like this.