Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The National - First Two Pages... & Laugh Track Album • Page 79

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Carrow, Aug 16, 2022.

1. VanderlyleCrybaby

Regular Supporter

To each their own, but Guest Room is one of my favorites on Boxer. Fantastic writing, great aggressive drumming, and wonderful lead guitar. Certified grade A banger in my book.

mr_november likes this.
  2. didn’t wanna be
    your ghost
    didn’t wanna be
    anyone’s ghost

3. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

Does the title track remind anyone else of Invisible String?

4. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

My 10/10 combined album is something like:

Poolside
    Deep End
    Eucalyptus
    Turn Off The House
    Alien
    Space Invader
    The Alcott
    Grease In Your Hair
    Dreaming
    Hornets
    Laugh Track
    New Order T Shirt
    Smoke Detector

Gotta think about it harder but that’s pretty solid

5. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

This album is really good.

Kyle is hk likes this.
  6. SteveLikesMusic

Phoebe is utilized in a really cool way on laugh track, singing in a kind of different mode / register for her.

Ronald. and Kyle is hk like this.
  7. mintplusplus

Do You Remember?

Yeah. I would have no idea that was her and it’s a perfect tone against Matt’s voice.

SteveLikesMusic likes this.
  8. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

really liking Dreaming on my second run-through. glad they finally gave into their instinct to just make a U2 song

9. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

i don't really like this record that much but it's marginally better than the last one and Deep End is a great track

Surfwax likes this.
  10. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Ok

Jim, aspeedomodel and Maddy like this.
  11. mr_november

Trusted Supporter

Knee jerk first reaction is that this is damn near flawless. It doesn't take a ton of chances, or reinvent the wheel. It does hit the itch for me though, especially the lyrics. Matt really hit the spot with those this album.

Dreaming, hornets, and smoke detector knock it out of the park.

12. PepsiOne

Formerly PepsiOne Supporter

Full body gentle shutdown
    So many people to let down
    Don’t even think about me

SteveLikesMusic and Rowan5215 like this.
  13. Neon Light

rage and love

Yep, would love to see her explore this more on her next solo album.

Ronald. likes this.
  14. Ronald.

House of Protect Ron.

Not the biggest National Fan, but I immediately connected with this album. Killer listen from front to back. Love that they got a feature from Phoebe that isn't her classic moody verse contribution.

15. this is the best of the three phoebe features easily. the other two were low points on frankenstein (not because of phoebe, really, just not the most interesting songs)

16. Still think "Your Mind is Not Your Friend" is a total knockout, don't really understand the lukewarm response to that one

17. Maddy

Regular

Can't help but think of this Nathan For You sketch when I see a song called Smoke Detector:

Surfwax, JoshShulkin and Aaron Mook like this.
  18. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

Your Mind is Not Your Friend is one of the stronger cuts on Frankenstein for me, but tbf they've gone to that piano ballad quite a lot in their late career and I get people cooling on it

19. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

It's another one for me where the album version is excruciatingly boring but it's a great song when they've played it live.

WanderingSquall likes this.
  20. SteveLikesMusic

“At least I’m not on the roof anymore.”

Sal Paradise likes this.
  21. On second listen, I do think Laugh Track is slightly better than FTPOF, but I'm still not as sold as everyone else. I really think the best from each album would make for an all-timer, though.

22. VanderlyleCrybaby

Regular Supporter

Laugh Track is definitely better than Frankenstein but it still drags in the second half with too many mid tempo ballads (and also no shade to people who like it but I find Weird Goodbyes to be very lame still). Crumble is cool though I feel like it’s different for them it sounds kind of like 90s alt rock. Agreed that if you take the best songs from this and Frankenstein it’d be a spectacular album. Smoke detector just came on again as I type this and my god I love this fucking song lol.

23. i gotta say tropic morning news is incredible to me and i love it so much

24. you vandal

Regular

I gotta say I agree with you. Probably my favorite song between the two albums.

25. ScubaSteve182

Regular

Their best song since SWB imo