Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The National - First Two Pages... & Laugh Track Album • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Carrow, Aug 16, 2022.

1. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I was very surprised to learn that a lot of people don't like Not In Kansas. It always struck me as very characteristically 'them' in a way that much of the rest of the album purposely / purposefully isn't. I don't think it is a top-tier The National song or anything, but I definitely enjoy the hell out of it whenever it comes on when I'm listening to this album.

Then again, I don't really care for Light Years much at all, and a lot of fans seem to really love that one.

2. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Not in Kansas is like someone cosplaying as the national. It’s not good.

3. Dog Fish

Mutt

I just hate that “when the moon hits your eyes” part by the guest singer. Drags on and on and on and on.

the rural juror likes this.
  4. sort of odd because i think not in kansas has more in common with less typical national songs (sleep well beast) than the archetypal ones

5. SuddenUrgeJoey

queer as fuck. Supporter

Agreed. Also, it shouts out a severely, underrated R.E.M. song which makes it a winner

6. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

This is my biggest problem with it too. Really brings the energy down, and it wasn’t exactly a high energy song anyway.

7. Jim

Trusted Supporter

Probably my favorite REM song if I had to pick

Mary V and SuddenUrgeJoey like this.
  8. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

lifes rich pageant really is a perfect album

CarpetElf, Mary V, Jim and 2 others like this.
  9. I’m sorry but WHAT

10. Jim

Trusted Supporter

Listened to that this morning and bought my kid a shirt with the bear from the monster cover on it haha

11. Importer/Exporter

he’ll live forever in the sound of broken glass Supporter

REM would have a strong case for best American band ever if not for the last like decade of their career.

Not in Kansas would be good but too many corny ass lyrics that take me out of it.

12. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, I really have no idea why the song kinda strikes me like that - all I can come up with is that it has several uninterrupted minutes of just Matt singing until the guests come in on the Moon Hits Your Eyes parts, which I don't really care for and would lose if I could.

I've really tried many, many times and I just find the song to be somewhat boring and uninteresting and very, very low energy. I'm sure it doesn't help that it comes at the end of a *very* long album that is in general much slower and lower energy than I typically enjoy from these guys. I don't think it's terrible or anything.

DaydreamNation likes this.
  13. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Not in Kansas is great. Album as a whole is great and it's also my least favorite since Sad Songs.

14. Basically agree with that but it also has probably 3 of my top 10 National songs

15. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

well. you know what you just started lol

16. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

1. I'll Still Destroy You
    2. Bloodbuzz Ohio
    3. England
    4. Gospel

5. Apartment Story
    6. Slipped
    7. Lemonworld
    8. Not in Kansas

9. City Middle
    10. Fake Empire

5-8 can change order. 9 and 10 can switch out for like 20 other songs.

17. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

You get it

I agree

CarpetElf likes this.
  18. I'm not ranking my favorite National songs rn (too hard) but I can tell you that "This Is the Last Time" is my number one

19. SuddenUrgeJoey

queer as fuck. Supporter

Mine too

Aaron Mook likes this.
  20. mintplusplus

Do You Remember?

No time to properly rank but Humiliation is top 3.

Aaron Mook and gonz (Alex) like this.
  21. I regret nothing!!

Gonna hash out my list in a bit but we have the same #1 :)

CarpetElf likes this.
  22. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

my number one is pink rabbits. i’ll probably not rank but that’s fairly easy.

Jim and gonz (Alex) like this.
  23. 1. I’ll Still Destroy You
    2. Fake Empire
    3. Light Years
    4. Mr. November
    5. Bloodbuzz Ohio
    6. So Far So Fast
    7. About Today
    8. Slow Show
    9. Day I Die
    10. Quiet Light

Honorable mention to I Am Easy to Find, Geese of Beverley Road, Apartment Story, Lemonworld, Mistaken for Strangers, Terrible Love, Empire Line, Graceless, Demons, Lit Up, Lucky You, etc etc etc…..

imthesheriff and Craig Manning like this.
  24. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

chris what do you have against trouble will find me

Aaron Mook and DaydreamNation like this.
  25. Was wondering when someone would notice

the honest answer is that I was incredibly into it for the year after it came out, that year was an absolutely awful one for me lol, and I’ve just never connected with it the same way since

phaynes12 likes this.