Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The National - First Two Pages... & Laugh Track Album • Page 13

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Carrow, Aug 16, 2022.

1. Boxer then TWFM then Sleep then IAETF

fredwordsmith and imthesheriff like this.
  2. ScubaSteve182

Regular

England is a great song

3. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

SWB came out when I was going through a ton of personal shit and didn’t listen to it until like a year or so after it came out and it never clicked with me.

4. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

My hot take is that the production on Alligator is ass

5. SuddenUrgeJoey

queer as fuck. Supporter

6. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

7. mintplusplus

Do You Remember?

For the 15th time in this thread, my hot takes are that 1) HV, despite juggernauts like Bloodbuzz and Terrible Love, was an identity misstep that they smartly course-corrected with TWFM and 2) people who joined the National love train with HV are a special breed who still view that identity misstep as the National’s actual, true identity (and subsequently tend to hold sometimes wild opinions about the records that came before and after).

fredwordsmith and bradpetrik like this.
  8. imthegrimace

them making an album they wanted to is an "identity misstep"? speak on that

9. mintplusplus

Do You Remember?

Are you asking how it’s an identity misstep or are you stating that you disagree and that, if it’s an album a band intended to make, then it can’t be an identity misstep? Or both?

10. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues Supporter

end run of alligator is the peak

11. imthegrimace

how is it an identity misstep?

Phantoms, Aaron Mook and AgonizingFir like this.
  12. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

SuddenUrgeJoey likes this.
  13. FrankieThe4th

things have never been stranger Prestigious

There is no TWFM or SWB without HV.

14. Dog Fish

Mutt

The only misstep on HV was not using the alt. version of Terrible Love

15. mintplusplus

Do You Remember?

The sound of the recordings on HV is punchier and more immediate. Some of the songs are underdeveloped and simpler in comparison to their albums that came before and after. After HV, TWFM explored the same terrain but it was done with a more subdued, thoughtful approach that is closer to the kind of slow-build, long-term band they are.

Another way of saying it is that HV is a lot like the record most bands understandably make when they blow up but the difference is that most bands make that record 2-3 times and the National made it once. So, it’s a mini-outlier that can be pointed out and not part of a big decline malange.

Surfwax likes this.
  16. mintplusplus

Do You Remember?

I agree. IMO, TWFM is what HV would have sounded like if it was just a quiet follow up to Boxer with no expectations and the usual subtle growth they show between records.

17. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues Supporter

As a relative hv hater (it’s good just not classic!!), I’ve always had trouble squaring that it’s both kind of obnoxious in its grandiose swings (England) but also pretty downtrodden and dark even for them (not much upbeat outside of bloodbuzz). It somehow has always felt to me like they picked the weirdest possible combo of retreading some of boxer, trying to become more arena friendly, and exploring something more artistically adventurous in its darker songs. It’s kind of a miracle it all kind of works, for the most part - at the end of the day I have a hard time saying if it’s that it feels a little off overall that holds it back for me, or it’s just that it’s kind of short on what I consider top tier National songs.

bradpetrik likes this.
  18. imthegrimace

I disagree but this is an interesting way of thinking about HV

19. mintplusplus

Do You Remember?

Also agreed. When they debuted the song on Fallon, I believe before it had been played live or at least shared online, it was magical. It was weird that they used such a different take.

Brother Beck likes this.
  20. bradpetrik

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah, it’s an odd take that I wouldn’t necessarily expect but respect.

21. Real weirdo hours in the National thread. HV is top three

22. ScubaSteve182

Regular

[​IMG]

23. Importer/Exporter

he’ll live forever in the sound of broken glass Supporter

The national records are prolly all between like a 7.5 and an 8.5. But there’s so many incredible songs, and their live shows rock, so they get to be kind of the platonic idea of a mid-oughts to mid-10s indie rock band.

24. mintplusplus

Do You Remember?

HV 7.4

25. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

High Violet is my favorite followed by I Am Easy to Find. I don't know if their the "best" albums but they are the two I return to the most by far.

imthesheriff likes this.