Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The National - First Two Pages... & Laugh Track Album • Page 11

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Carrow, Aug 16, 2022.

1. smowashere

Trusted Supporter

Just drop it

angrycandy likes this.
  2. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

Great news about Weird Goodbyes - I know a lot of people around here liked it but it’s truly a bottom five National song for me.

Surfwax likes this.
  3. bradpetrik

Trusted Prestigious

No way they're dropping it when B&S is doing that this Friday.

4. stepstr

From what I see, the attention towards B&S decreases yearly. So The National might just kill them at all.

bradpetrik likes this.
  5. Who or what is B&S am I being dumb

stepstr likes this.
  6. Nvm yes I was lol figured it out

stepstr likes this.
  7. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

I’m dumb what is it

AgonizingFir likes this.
  8. AgonizingFir

Currently Distracted Supporter

9. AgonizingFir

Currently Distracted Supporter

Or Belle and Sebastian, depends on the context

10. stepstr

I missed being here since Foxing's Draw Down the Moon roll out lol

coleslawed and AgonizingFir like this.
  11. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues Supporter

yup, instantly more optimistic about this record if that got cut. definition of going through the motions

12. radiodead

Trusted

One of the great bands of the last 15 years but imo they need a swing on this record.

coleslawed, neo506, Phantoms and 5 others like this.
  13. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues Supporter

It's kind of weird, because for me SWB was hugely refreshing after a run of albums that were starting to feel repetitive and I'm higher on IAETF than most here, but I agree. I think the Taylor albums are a big contributor - I haven't even listened to the BRM albums in full, but I'm pretty Dessnered out at this point after now 5 years of music from them that all feels pretty samey. Weird Goodbyes and High Infidelity are Dessner bros by the numbers and were kind of the straws that broke the camel's back for me. I'm looking forward to this record, but I'm really crossing my fingers that the majority of songs here don't feel musically interchangeable with SWB, or Folklore, etc

14. Importer/Exporter Jan 10, 2023
    (Last edited: Jan 10, 2023)
    Importer/Exporter

he’ll live forever in the sound of broken glass Supporter

I’m kinda struggling with the band too, but it’s less the Dessners for me, it’s Matt’s lyrics and vocal delivery. Feel like the lyrics have become really saccharine or at times self-parody, and i feel like he always sounds tired when he sings. They were my absolute favorites for so long, and there are days where i think SWB is their best record, so I’ll definitely still check out anything they release. I just want to feel surprised by this band.

15. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

There were some big names on IAETF already, like I couldn't really hear Sharon Van Etten having a considerable vocal feature. Though here it's already on the tracklist, should mean more than background vocals.

WG was just ok, but I still might miss Bon Iver being on the record, just cause I like guest appearances hahh.

16. Maddy

Regular

Im with this take....definitely a bit of saturation with their music since SWB

17. stepstr

Exactly, SWB has been the last one that shook me in a good way. IAETF turned out a bit too vague for my taste.

ScubaSteve182 likes this.
  18. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

it sounds like exactly what it is to me: a collection of songs that weren't good enough to be on SWB

19. hollowmines

Regular

IAETF not my fave but I do love the title track, "Quiet Light", "So Far So Fast" and "Not In Kansas". I don't think the hit/miss ratio is much different from the previous album tbh, it's just too damn long.

20. stepstr

I hope the new record will have some raw sound, no overproducing. Because WG was surely overproduced. The Dessners' recent collaborations with TS backfired a lot.

21. Importer/Exporter

“Weird goodbyes”? More like “weird…. I haven’t thought of that track since it dropped. Goodbye!”

Rowan5215 and Surfwax like this.
  22. SimpleMath1979

Regular

Album of the year loading…

23. SimpleMath1979

Regular

Blasphemy

24. Importer/Exporter

I’m being prolly too difficult on the band. Even bad, they’re good. I just want them to sound energized. Luckily most of the new tracks weren’t piano-driven, so there’s that at least.

25. SWB rivals their best (TWFM) and IAETF is very good, even if it doesn't quite reach those heights