Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The MP3 Isn’t Dead

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 16, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The MP3 format is about to have the patents surrounding it expire. Here’s Jason Snell, writing at Six Colors on what that means:

One of the companies who held patents covering some uses of the MP3 format has terminated its licensing program because its patents have run out. What this means is not that the MP3 format is about to evaporate, but rather, that lots of audio software that previously avoided encoding files into MP3 will now be free to support it without paying a tithe to Fraunhofer.

This is great news for everyone. I’ve spoken to several developers of audio and MP3-related software who have been watching the clock run out on MP3 patents so that they could release MP3 features into the world—both in brand-new apps as well as existing ones—without buying into Fraunhofer’s expensive licensing regime.

And Marco Arment:

Until a few weeks ago, there had never been an audio format that was small enough to be practical, widely supported, and had no patent restrictions, forcing difficult choices and needless friction upon the computing world. Now, at least for audio, that friction has officially ended. There’s finally a great choice without asterisks.

MP3 is supported by everything, everywhere, and is now patent-free. There has never been another audio format as widely supported as MP3, it’s good enough for almost anything, and now, over twenty years since it took the world by storm, it’s finally free.

I still remember the first MP3 I downloaded (it was The Simpsons’ theme song) and not understanding how it was such a small file. I was blown away.

Kingjohn_654 and Raku like this.
  2. Schooner

Trusted

First illegal download was prob
    Marilyn Manson - Dope Show
    Or Harvey Danger - flagpole sitter
    Or Korn 1998

Fucking Dustin likes this.
  3. TerrancePryor

https://mp3sandnpcs.com/ Prestigious

It's dead, though. All hail AACs, our new savior.

4. Jason Tate May 16, 2017
    (Last edited: May 16, 2017)
    Nope and nope, though. Joking aside: Seriously read the articles, they're good and explain why the patents on file formats (like AAC) suck!

Raku likes this.
  5. Raku

Regular

So maybe in the future this means the MP3 will improve now that it's now its own thing, and not own by anyone?

Either way, I'm glad this won't negatively effect the MP3. I know it isn't the best format out there, but it is my favorite (Just based off of convenience though).

6. joey-wan kenobi

Happiness is a warm gun mama

I think my first few illegal downloads were :

LTJ- sugar in your gas tank
    Assorted Jelly Beans - no brain
    Dashboard Confessional - again I go unnoticed [ was actually a super raw demo that I've never heard since :( ]

Ps. I sincerely hope this turns into a thread about all our first napster downloads

Schooner likes this.
  7. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

My first one was probably Slipknot's "The Heretic Anthem"

joey-wan kenobi likes this.
  8. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

And my last illegal download was a Hatsune Miku album from wowaka so life changes fast

9. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

My first was probably an old Cash Money or No Limit song.

Fucking Dustin likes this.
  10. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

I THINK mine was some The Early November/Yellowcard/Taking Back Sunday/Juliana Theory stuff, haha.

11. Michael Schmidt May 17, 2017
    (Last edited: May 17, 2017)
    Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

My first mp3 files in 1999 were:
    Blink 182 - What's My Age Again B-)
    Creed - Higher :-|

Mr. Serotonin and coleslawed like this.
  12. Behind the Barricade

https://www.behindthecade.com

I think Uncle Fucker from the South Park movie was my first in 99 I want to say?

13. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

Does anyone have a good AAC version of the LAME-encoded V2 or V0 MP3's? Honestly, that's half the reason I stick with MP3.

14. Hugo G.

FKA whiterussian Supporter

Linkin Park - half the songs off HT. Only heard Pushing Me Away like several years later.

15. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

this is great news tbh. interesting reads

Raku likes this.
  16. Schooner

Trusted

Actually you know what. That could've also joined my 3 or so. And maybe that Star Wars weird al American pie song

17. pbueddi

Trusted

Mine might have been "my way" by limp bizkit.