The Mountain Goats Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by nothingsforeverdude, Mar 6, 2016.

1. nfdv2

sailboatthief.bandcamp.com/album/walls Supporter

The Mountain Goats were formed in Claremont, CA in 1991 as a lo-fi solo project and are currently based in Durham, NC as an indie-folk band. They have over 500 songs and all of them are amazing. You should listen to some of them. Start with The Sunset Tree.

2. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

"You Were Cool" >>>>>

Really, really want that on an album

3. nfdv2

my favorite non-album TMG song is You're in Maya

hope to hear it live someday

4. sponsor
  5. TheVandyMan

Please stop deleting my custom title Prestigious

I was about to make a thread about the band before I realized there was one already! Not sure any artist has had a run as prolific and incredible as John Darnielle. The man is just a flat-out amazing writer.

6. iCarly Rae Jepsen

no tears left to cry Prestigious

7. nfdv2

life of the world to come is such a stunning and touching record. might be my #2 or 3 tmg release. the refrain of isaiah 45:23 is one of the most heartbreaking things i've ever heard.

8. PepsiOne

Formerly PepsiOne Prestigious

I neglected that album when it was released because I didn't feel it stacked up to everything else he'd done, but it's one of my favorites now. John 4:16 is a perfect song.

9. kbeef2

I did it for the money Prestigious

Yep, that might be my favorite Mountain Goats song.

10. T.K.

Prestigious Browser Supporter

I get why people weren't sold on that album, but I loved it. This is one of the most heartbreaking songs that they've ever done.

11. PepsiOne

Formerly PepsiOne Prestigious

I think mostly I was just stupid in 2009 and wrote it off as TMG doing a bible album. Much like people tend to write off Beat the Champ for being a wrestling album. As always with him, there's much more to it.

12. Matthewconte

Regular

I think my favorite TMG song is "Best Ever Death Metal Band in Denton."

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  13. nfdv2

two years ago today i heard the sunset tree for the first time and it changed my life

T.K. and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  14. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-Aggressive Prestigious

All Hail West Texas and Sunset Tree changed my life in the best way

T.K. likes this.
  15. jordalsh

jordalsh.wordpress.com Prestigious

16. iCarly Rae Jepsen

no tears left to cry Prestigious

17. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

If I really liked the Sunset Tree, where do I go next? I've listened to that album for something like three or four years and never really listened to anything else. I usually go chronologically but he has a lot, so

18. TheVandyMan

Please stop deleting my custom title Prestigious

I'd say go to Tallahassee and All Hail West Texas next, and probably We Shall All Be Healed, too. Everything before Sunset Tree is a little more lo-fi from a production standpoint, but I think really gets to the heart of some of his best storytelling.

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  19. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

thanks, this is what i'll do. That's really the aspect i like best about the mountain goats (the sunset tree) anyway, don't mind a little bit of a drop in production quality.

20. CarpetElf

should probably be doing something else w/ my life Prestigious

Tallahassee is perfect.

21. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Just finished All Hail West Texas, that was great, I maybe fell for this one faster than I did the Sunset Tree, though I had the lyrics right in front of me this time. Some of the lyrics remind me of Jawbreaker at times, that sort of wistful, kind of melancholy songwriting but still hopeful at the edges. I liked it a lot, will do Tallahassee soon

22. CarpetElf

should probably be doing something else w/ my life Prestigious

All Hail West Texas was my second vinyl purchase haha.

I'm from Tallahassee so that album gets me.

23. trevorshmevor May 9, 2018
    (Last edited: May 9, 2018)
    trevorshmevor

and use a pretty font Supporter

Was anybody in here aware this existed? I had no idea, maybe I’m just out of the loop though.

I Only Listen to the Mountain Goats by Night Vale Presents on Apple Podcasts

Edit: Ah, I see it was brought up in the Goths album thread. Damn the coexistence of band/album threads!

24. owlwolfpossum

I started a video series on The Mountain Goats discography, if that sounds vaguely interesting you should check it out.

25. sponsor