Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Mountain Goats - In League With Dragons (April 26, 2019) Album • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by ItsAndrew, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Importer/Exporter

he’ll live forever in the sound of broken glass Supporter

??

Matthewconte likes this.
  2. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

He's actually a pretty great singer. Probably just hoarse there because it's a loud, live performance after he just recorded an entire talk show.

Importer/Exporter likes this.
  3. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Holy shit I cannot express how much fun these guys are live. Stellar show, and the Dragons material slapped.

Importer/Exporter likes this.
  4. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  5. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

god bless him

6. me again for like the past three weeks ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

7. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

any records in particular that you've been hitting? anything feel like a rediscovery?

8. I listened to Heretic Pride quite a bit! still not among my favorites, but I realized that "San Bernardino" is definitely one of their best songs and I listened to that one over and over again. I also love "Sax Rohmer #1" (which they played the first time I saw them and was so fun), "Lovecraft in Berlin" (which rocks), and "Michael Myers Resplendent" (which I think really predicts some of the amazing orchestral stuff they'd do on Transcendental Youth, which is the one I listened to the second most and I've decided is in my top 3 of their records).

Also I think I decided on a TMG tattoo that has one of the demon faces from the Transcendental Youth cover with the title of the album (from the liner notes in i think John's handwriting).

cherrywaves and EmmanuelSCastle like this.
  9. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

same!

jordalsh likes this.
  10. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Heretic Pride definitely rose in esteem for me the last time I did a discog deep dive a few months ago, that and Get Lonely. I'd probably place Heretic Pride near the top of the 4AD records, maybe only second to Tallahassee. Transcendental Youth is a good one too, I just wouldn't say it's as well arranged as more recent stuff? and I feel like that's the "attraction" in a lot of ways. it's hard to say though cause his songs have gotten weirder as he's focused on piano as a songwriting tool and it seems like different needs are addressed there

11. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

also you should show this off whenever you get it done, I think you were the one w the In Reverie tattoo yeah? and that turned out super sick

jordalsh likes this.
  12. Importer/Exporter

Heretic Pride is really top-heavy. Title track is my favorite TMG i think.

jordalsh likes this.
  13. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

I’ve been listening to the Extra Lens album a lot lately. I think it’s right up there with some of his best TMG albums.

unbornwhiskey and cherrywaves like this.
  14. I also have been listening to a few tracks off of Get Lonely a lot, especially "Maybe Sprout Wings." I have to give it to Sunset Tree for 4AD, but Tallahassee is definitely up there for me too.

Yeah I get that but I do feel like the arrangements support the songs on TY and I think also it's just one of my favorites from him lyrically. I would put "Lakeside View" up very very high, like maybe top 3.

I also have been getting caught up on the podcast, really fun stuff. the Mal Blum episodes are especially great

15. I think I'd agree, the first three tracks and the last track are my favorites. Feels largely transitional and not as cohesive as the later albums would get

16. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

oh I have kind of a weird relationship w the Sunset Tree. it was my first MG record but didn't really like it at ~15 (or w/e) that much and didn't get into the band for a while as a result. it's a weird hang up that has persisted even though tMG have made some of my favorite records ever. I'm always hoping my discog dives will elevate it for me but I'm stuck on "I like this" for it ig.

yeah for sure, the arrangements aren't bad at all and they definitely fit, I think it'd be more accurate to frame it as a preference for when they contribute to the lushness of the textures like they have for In League with Dragons and Goths, maybe just because it's a slightly more exploratory side of his music

jordalsh likes this.
  17. Importer/Exporter

Think ‘Best the Champ’ is their best post-AED, which I feel wrapped up a really good run of albums. ‘Goths’ and the new one are fine but I’ve never gone back to them. ‘Transcendental Youth’ is beautiful and has some heartbreaking songs but I saw the show he premiered those songs at in NYC with Anonymous 4 and I never wanted different arrangements of those songs, so it’s hard for me to enjoy it as much. The songwriting is there though.

18. Sunset Tree, All Hail West Texas, Tallahassee, Transcendental Youth, and Beat the Champ would be my top five favorites in no order.

19. Doomsday

Trusted Prestigious

Hmm. Picking a top 5 is incredibly difficult. I usually go on a discography run for John in the mid/late Spring but I might bump it up a bit.

I don't think I could order a top 5 but all I know is I think his best records are Tallahassee, Sunset Tree, All Hail West Texas, All Eternal's Deck and Heretic Pride

I'm also not as big into Transcendental Youth as you guys but Lakeside View is a good contender for top 10 tracks

jordalsh likes this.
  20. cherrywaves

Trusted

The Sunset Tree
    Transcendental Youth
    Get Lonely
    All Eternals Deck
    Tallahassee

jordalsh likes this.
  21. I have yet to really get into All Eternals Deck but I absolutely love Liza Forever Minnelli.

I also love Sweden and Coroner's Gambit

22. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I'm partial to the lofi stuff. all hail west Texas, coroner's Gambit, Sweden, we shall all be healed, Tallahassee probably make up my top five. in no order except that all hail west Texas reigns supreme

jordalsh likes this.
  23. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

i have always wanted to cover "dogs of clinic 17" as if it were a jawbreaker song

kbeef2 likes this.
  24. "Riches and Wonders" is my favorite TMG song some days

I am healthy
    I am whole
    I have poor impulse control
    and I wanna go home
    but I am home

the rural juror likes this.
  25. Doomsday

Trusted Prestigious

Fuck it, it's storming outside and I have the day off work. Going to do a little bit of cleaning and run through his discography

jordalsh likes this.