Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Mountain Goats - Goths (May 19, 2017) Album • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by neo506, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Staypositive83

Regular Supporter

Just wish he would get away from the concept albums. I mean I guess some old stuff was loosely based around a theme but it wasn't as in your face as the last two. Always appreciated the subtleness

2. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

John is so delightfully weird

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  3. iCarly Rae Jepsen

4. Importer/Exporter

he’ll live forever in the sound of broken glass Supporter

New EP is out

5. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

6. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

Was just about to post this. I read through the whole thing and while I agree the fanbase needs to cool it on the hero worship, it doesn’t seem like JD actually did anything wrong other than oversharing? And the whole post is...strangely written.

7. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

It’s kind of overshadowed now, but this EP is really fucking good

Mustache_Band likes this.
  8. Importer/Exporter

Based on what info we have I would say that John definitely, at the very least, needs to consider that power dynamic going forward. It doesn't necessarily seem like he crossed a clear or agreed-upon line, but it is a ton of uncool, weird pressure to put on someone who is a fan of your music.

9. unbornwhiskey Sep 7, 2018
    (Last edited: Sep 7, 2018)
    unbornwhiskey

Trusted

there are a lot of things that bug me about the op, mostly the continual appropriation of language of sexual abuse and restorative justice to describe... a minor emotional non-sexual boundary transgression in twitter dms? i read it yesterday and was trying to be as empathetic as possible toward the perspective but idk this is an interpersonal conflict not a scandal or even really a pattern (the other ppl who brought up john's weirdness towards fans were only faint echoes of what was principally addressed in that post)

10. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

I thought this might be the best place to ask, since there is such a huge (and intimidating) discography - what order would you guys recommend listening to TMG records?

I chose The Sunset Tree first (because I recognised a song on there) and loved it. Just listened to Tallahassee now and liked that too, but really want to dive in. Are there any other must listens in the discography? Ones that might be best saving till I've heard a bit more of the sound?

11. zmtr

Trusted

"Get Lonely" is my favorite record of theirs. One of the few records that I find so sad at some times that I can't even listen to it.

12. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

I'll get that ready for the commute to work tomorrow then. Thanks!

13. PepsiOne

Formerly PepsiOne Supporter

Can be good to work backwards with tMG, too. You can listen to All Hail West Texas, which is his best album imo, and then that’ll bridge the gap into the older, rougher low-fi stuff which a lot of people prefer.

14. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

If you’re looking for older, less-polished stuff, I’d recommend All Hail West Texas. If you’re looking for newer, more-polished stuff, Transcendental Youth is my favorite of their recent albums.

I’m one of the weirdos who prefer the newer stuff. I don’t think you can go wrong with any of their last five albums tbh.

15. Importer/Exporter

So much of my favorite mountain goats music isn’t up streaming lol it’s a drag

16. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Importer/Exporter likes this.
  17. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Aregala and the rural juror like this.
  18. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Underrated album

troyplaysbass and Aregala like this.