Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Monkees Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cshadows2887, Feb 21, 2019.

1. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

[​IMG]

The Monkees are an American rock and pop band originally active between 1966 and 1971, with reunion albums and tours in the decades that followed. They were formed in Los Angeles in 1965 by Bob Rafelson and Bert Schneider specifically for the American television series The Monkees, which aired from 1966 to 1968. The musical acting quartet was composed of Americans Micky Dolenz, Michael Nesmith, and Peter Tork; and the English actor and singer Davy Jones. The band's music was initially supervised by producer Don Kirshner, backed by the songwriting duo of Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart.

bd007h likes this.
  2. cshadows2887

I've always loved The Monkees. After the news about Peter Tork today, I decided to finally listen to Head, and if you view it as an EP, it's fucking tremendous.

"Porpoise Song" and "As We Go Along" are gorgeous. Peter Tork contributes maybe his two best songs (especially on "Do I Have to Do This All Over Again (Long Title)" where Stephen Stills melts faces). And Nesmith is as reliably Nesmith as ever.

bd007h likes this.
  3. bd007h

chorus.fm's resident Meg Myers fan #GoSabres/Bills

The Monkees were my first concert as a kid, when I was 10. Their 30th Anniversary tour in 1996. So sad about Peter :(. Davy Jones' death in 2012 hit me harder than most celebrity deaths, and this one is right up there as well :worried:

cshadows2887 likes this.
  4. cshadows2887

They were my first concert in 2001 as well. No Mike on that tour, but still.

bd007h likes this.
  5. bd007h

Yeah Mike wasn't there in 1996 either. Glad I at least got to see Davy and Peter before their passing though.

6. bd007h

Speaking of Head, ever see the movie? The reason for it's title is quite humorous :crylaugh: The movie itself makes literally zero sense, but that's kind of the point haha