Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Moderators • Page 7

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Jason Tate, Feb 16, 2016.

1. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

I'm sure there are pswb photos of you somewhere. A young Jason with puka beads.

2. And bleached blonde hair tips.

3. I posted this in the mods group message, but I feel it is applicable here as well.

I'm not entirely sure what is happening in this thread, nor which thread had to be closed, but if it was in the general forum, I'd like to apologize for my absence. I tend to frequent the music forum much more often, but I realize that is not an excuse and I should be perusing the general forum at least a few times a week.

It's clear that something needs to be fixed regarding moderation of the site, but I do believe that communication is a large part of it, and that is fixable. It may be a process. I've already admitted to slacking, though I do try to take care of anything that gets reported while I am online. And I do feel we do do a fine job of taking care of things on that end. But we also need to hear users out when they come to us with certain recurring issues.

It should be noted, also, that I have blocked a couple of users that are sometimes involved in these reports that I feel have come after me personally in the past and whom make me very uncomfortable. I thought it best I divulge that in case I miss something in the future. I know that may seem inconvenient, but I often read blocked content if something seems wrong, and I hope that's understandable.

I'm not entirely sure where to go from here, but again, I apologize for slacking, and I promise to keep a better eye out from this point forward.

4. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

huh?

5. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

didnt we kill the poll forum on ap because it got basically zero foot traffic? i dont know what the point of the general forum is if not "random chit chat about everything and anything," especially now that we keep every album thread in the music forum.

ChaseTx, Nick and ChiliTacos like this.
  6. St. Nate

7. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

8. St. Nate

I would honestly like to know what was the issue with that thread.

9. It was a pointless thread created as a joke. If you genuinely want to post photos of white boys sulking, the photo thread already exists. Going out of your way to then post about the thread being closed in like ten other threads just exacerbates the issue — all you're doing is spamming the board.

To answer Ryan's earlier question, I don't really think of the General forum as "random chit chat about everything and anything." That's what the chat thread is for, but otherwise I think of it as a home for discussions that just don't pertain to music, film, television, or politics (e.g. the fashion thread, the photography thread, the parenting thread, etc). While those topics collectively are "everything and anything" to a degree, they're not just random chit chat. They're still discussions just as we have in the other forums, just discussions on topics outside of the other categories.

And if the follow-up question is "what about the polls," I also think those are dumb, but Jason has already said he's going to be creating a subforum so we can clean up the main board for the larger discussions I mentioned above.

Penguin and lightning13 like this.
  10. St. Nate

you would of been King in that thread, Scott.... A Mother Fuckin' KING!

ChaseTx likes this.
  11. ChaseTx and St. Nate like this.
  12. St. Nate

Anyway, I will fight for that thread until I die, am banned, or this site dies. Whichever comes first.

13. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

this is what the literal purpose is though when you hover over "general forum" in the forum list

:chin:

ChaseTx likes this.
  14. "Random chit-chat" (the chat thread) and "general discussion about anything" (the broader topic threads). That's the way I interpret it, anyway. Obviously chatting happens everywhere and I'm not trying to stop that, but I also don't want the board cluttered with things like "like every post in this thread" because it's literally just spam, but that's just me. ;-)

Henry and lightning13 like this.
  15. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

DarkHotline and scott like this.
  16. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

that thread literally made the like system absolutely useless, lol

17. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I tried to chat in that like thread the other day and it makes this place utterly unusable with the amount of notifications you get.

I'd have locked that a long time ago

18. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Yeah would have no problem if that thread went away, tbh.

Henry likes this.
  19. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Just to clarify, is the problem that it's the "like" portion of said thread, or that it's genuinely turned into a separate user group chatting in the same place than the user group that chats in the general chat thread? Because we had multiple chat threads for different groups of users on AP all the time and it was never an issue.

Yeah, I'm in the user group that chats in the like everything thread, but to deem normal conversation between users that are friends as spam because you're ascribing meaning to a meaningless ranking system is so pointlessly demeaning it's ridiculous.

20. Henry

Moderator Moderator

We can like all of your posts in any thread though. How is it any different?

The thread is seriously just a chat thread. Sure, some people abused the system at one point, but now we are just as boring as any other thread.

My girlfriend and I had our own chat thread on AP at one point. No one bothered with that. lol

Garrett L. likes this.
  21. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

my main problem is that my friend feed and the recent activity pages are completely unusable for a good portion of each day because they're filled up with likes from that thread.

also poses a question on what is and isn't counted as spam. if @St. Nate 's thread was closed because there's a similar thread already, why does the likes thread live when there's already the general chat thread. they're my problems with it.

again, no problem with multiple chat threads but things should be consistent and the likes fuck up the site from a usability point of view. for me anyway.

Aaron Mook, scott, AelNire and 2 others like this.
  22. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

Yeah its not bad because people get likes it's because it makes certain portions of the site unusable. Idk how that's demeaning

Aaron Mook, Dominick and AelNire like this.
  23. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

Notable Members • forum.chorus.fm

some of the post to like counts are obscene because you obviously know where it is
    if likes didn't show up on a profile i would care less but since they do it's basically killed the concept of that in the first place

Fucking Dustin likes this.
  24. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

very valid feedback, so thank you. as i don't use either of those pages, i've never come across that issue and like I said to Ben below (typed my response to him first and too lazy to make it line-up chronologically), no one has mentioned that in the two months of the thread's usage before. @Henry and i talked about it and we're switching to a new thread shortly (he may even get it up before I hit reply, who knows).

I personally didn't think the #pwsb thread by @St. Nate was spam. I think it had a lot of potential to get very offensive, and that's where any issues I would've had with it lie, but I wouldn't have locked it until it reached that point. The multiple mentions of it and creating other threads about it afterwards as spam, though, sure. But, to me, things like that happen in general. I wasn't on when that all went down, so I can't really explain the actions taken by the mod at the time.

this is the first time this has ever been mentioned now between you and nick. and i agree, this is a valid issue with the thread. every time it's been reported or mentioned elsewhere, it's always just been "spam" or the like, when in the last few weeks it's just been another chat thread. so we're getting a new one set-up currently for that group of users.

Nick and Aaron Mook like this.
  25. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

wait, sorry, how would that thread be offensive?