Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Millennial Whoop

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Quartz has posted a video describing a new pop music trend they are referring to the “millennial whoop.” I’m pretending that name isn’t a thing, but I still found the video interesting.

2. simplejack

I wish I could say something but silence is fine.

was Quartz thinking about blink's California?

3. LionInMyPocket

I was born in a swamp, born with no clothes on

"Jesse Lacey from the band Brand New calls it the “mom calling you inside from the porch interval.” " - The Guardian.

I find it funny that Jesse makes comments about "The Millenial Whoop" but can't update us on his music...

4. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I don't know if he made a comment or just casually mentioned it

5. AgonizingFir

Currently Distracted Supporter

As interesting as this is, the name is horribly stupid. I mean there are examples from songs released a long long time ago in the video itself. Nothing millennial about it.

Carmensaopaulo likes this.
  6. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

There seems to be this weird desire within the media to categorize things as millennial regardless of how distant the connection to millennials is.

7. elphshelf

100% made of farts Supporter

"Millennials are killing music"

8. Muzick

Hahahahahahahahahaha
    Thank you for sharing.

9. joey-wan kenobi

Happiness is a warm gun mama

Whoop! There it isssss

Schooner and Carmensaopaulo like this.
  10. Yellowcard2006 Aug 31, 2016
    (Last edited: Aug 31, 2016)
    Yellowcard2006

Trusted

It's always weird to see types of things in songs cut out and pasted together. Never really notice it.

Come to think of it

Fireworks did it before it was cool

11. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

12. Schooner

Trusted

When did Gen Y start being called Millenials?

13. efp722

Regular

is it honestly a bad thing? I've noticed it in a bunch of songs before this video. Never said to myself, "man this needs to stop".

Feels like they are just trying to pick something out and turn it into a negative thing by slapping "millenials" on it.

Schooner likes this.
  14. Guys Named Todd

Regular Prestigious

That seems to be a pretty healthy trend amongst every blog/news outlet latetly. Historically the youngest generation on the planet (probably) always gets scrutinized for being different that the last few, but all these millenial generalizations are getting obnoxious.

Schooner likes this.
  15. bodkins

Trusted

I figured it got the millennial tag because it started popping up, ya know, this millennium? Idk. Watched the video originally haven't read the article.

16. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

It didn't though. Dates back at least to 1983 and probably way before then.

17. NationalPhenomenon

Regular Prestigious

Seems like they're just pointing out how many (pop) songs it appears in nowadays. Obviously, it's not a new phenomenon.

bodkins likes this.
  18. bodkins

Trusted

Lemme correct my statement: became more prominent in this millennium. I'm sure it's been around since semitones, but in terms of popular music the video points to it being mostly a thing that became a trend this century.