Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Midnight Gospel (Netflix, 2020)

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by xapplexpiex, Mar 16, 2020.

1. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

Description from Netflix’s Facebook post:
    ”The creator of Adventure Time has co-created a new series called The Midnight Gospel that explores existential questions about life, death and everything in between.”

RyanPm40 and soggytime like this.
  2. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

Anyone see this yet?

3. Fenji

Yeah I'm a few episodes in, and I'm drunk as a skunk. Kinda feels perfect. Though 5 minutes into episode 4 all I can think is the word simp.

4. Fenji

I'm not sure if it's ironic yet, but I just feel this desperation for female attention in episode 4. Still watching, episode 1 was kinda engaging. Not sure what to think of it yet.

5. Fenji

Yeah no. Episode 4 is simp the animation.

6. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

“desperation for female attention”? Wtf.

7. Fenji

So you felt it differently, to me I just got this vibe of looking up at this female celestial being and trying to appease her for an interview. Kinda bothered me.

8. Fenji

Kinda sparked some anger

9. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Interesting thread

10. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I only watched the first episode so far and I was pretty high. Really enjoyed the artwork/design (big fan of Ward and Jesse Moynihan, not surprised). The actual animation is pretty rough.

I've never listened to Duncan Trussel's podcast, so honestly I spent most of the episode wondering how this actually works. Does his podcast actually have the weird improvs about zombies attacking and giving birth, or do they just do the prolonged drug talk and then record some extra shit exclusively for the show?

11. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

this is my favorite thing I’ve watched in a long time. I watched it coming down from an acid trip and, as you might imagine, it was kinda perfect lmao.

Christian Romero and Contender like this.
  12. MysteryKnight

Prestigious Prestigious

How high were the creators when they made this show

13. nohandstoholdonto

My theory is the animations and the conversations were both done separately and while the respective parties were on ridiculous amounts of psychedelics, with a general guideline about plot provided but not strictly adhered to? Haha. I also came to this conclusion coming down from an acid trip, so I mean,:shrug2:

14. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

it's not a theory, that's the synopsis of the show. The audio is from Duncan Trussel's Family Hour podcast, they animate to the pre-recorded podcast audio

15. nohandstoholdonto

Oh word glad I guessed right then, I managed to somehow not look into it and just run w my assumptions lmao

16. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

This show is strange yet there’s something very appealing about it. I’ve only seen the first episode and yes I’m high but I’m not sure I love how the audio and visual components of the show feel divorced from each other and a large majority of what’s happening onscreen goes unspoken. Maybe that’s kind of the point, like “accept reality/become the observer” but i dunno- I want this to reach the level of profundity id expected and the format is throwing me off/making me feel like its all ironic and not meant to be taken seriously??

17. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I finished this show last week and it really came through in the end. Amazing stuff. I've also been listening to the podcast. Some really fascinating conversations and great guests.

18. Finished this last night. As a huge fan of Huge fan of Adventure Time and Pendleton Ward, this did not disappoint. Loved the visuals and creativity. Some of the dialog/podcast stuff felt like nonsense, albeit still interesting, but I thought the final ep was actually beautiful. I really hope they can make more. As abstract as the show is, the world they created seems to have a lot of interesting lore they could explore.

Christian Romero likes this.
  19. Just finished this. The last episode really ends on a high note. An episode or two in the middle didn’t do much for me, but most of this was really incredible. Some of the best things I’ve watched in a long time.

20. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I miss this show. Hope they do a second season eventually.