Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Metal Thread Genre • Page 519

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

His favorite Throwdown breakdown, and his fav from any other band

Also, what’s been the craziest show the band ever performed, and what happened?

2. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

Ask him if he thinks that Baby Got Back was a mistake.

3. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

I think I'm getting a bit of metal burnout, at least with harsh vocals atm. Gonna jump into some heavy/trad stuff to fill the void

Nate_Johnson and inspectorkemp like this.
  4. inspectorkemp

a literal succubitch

Definitely been feeling the same as of late. Truth be told I think I've been burned out for a long time which is why my net consumption of music took a nosedive in the past year. It's only just now starting to lift because I'm actually only just now learning to finally appreciate music outside the massive world of metal that I didn't grow up with and thus have a nostalgia connection to.

For context, I had a weird musical taste journey and for the majority of it I've listened to metal so exclusively that even when I tried to diversify it in the past nothing else seemed to stick. It was like I was so used to riffs and screams that nothing else made an impact and I'm glad that's changing.

This got rambly but you get what I mean.

5. lost

Best of 2020 so far for me:
    Paradise Lost - Obsidian
    My Dying Bride - The Ghost Of Orion

6. theagentcoma

Yeah it happens every so often for me. Usually what I try to do is explore some nonmetal stuff that I know I'd like, or try out different subgenres to expand my horizons.

7. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

I usually cool off on my metal listening, with some exceptions, as the weather warms up.

If you haven't already, I'd recommend checking out the Freeways album that came out a while back.

swboyd, theagentcoma and Nate_Johnson like this.
  8. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Congrats. That's awesome!

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is if there are any plans for the 20th anniversary for Haymaker? Maybe a tour (obviously that's all up in the air right now, but it's still 2-3 years away for the 20th anny) or possibly a reissue, or re-recording some of the songs...

And maybe what current bands he's digging in both hardcore/metal and in other genres

theagentcoma and Nate_Johnson like this.
  9. theagentcoma

Will do. I've been enjoying the new Jess Williamson album too, and of course Phoebe keeps dropping bangers

KidLightning likes this.
  10. swboyd

If anything for me, I've been listening to less metal generally recently because I've had the baby at home for the past few months. It's a lot easier to listen to punk and more alternative stuff around him and my wife than it is metal. Probably more part of being married to someone who hates all of the metal and hardcore that I listen to than anything else.

Once I get back into the office and have time on my commute to check out music on my own time, things will get back to normal. I've got a pretty big backlog on things I need to really dive into.

11. inspectorkemp

a literal succubitch

Starting a new job that allows me to listen to music again means I currently have a 34-hour playlist of 2020 releases to catch up on to dive into as well as a currently 12-hour playlist of general "check out later"-isms. I will probably be reporting back on a lot of this.

12. theagentcoma

Link to the playlist?

Also thanks for that Freeways rec, great album.

KidLightning likes this.
  13. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

Just record his response to this

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  14. theagentcoma

I know we've been slacking on the playlist but that will not stop me from submitting three songs for THRASH METAL THVRSDAY.

1. Surgical Strike - Part of a Sick World - "Failed State" - it's been a big year for thrash with Testament, Warbringer, and Havok all releasing albums. Consequently, this album flew under the radar when it came out back in January. German death/thrash.
    2. Heathen - Victims of Deception - "Fear of the Unknown" - slightly on the power/thrash side, this one is just a classic.
    3. Metal Church - The Dark - "Over My Dead Body" - everyone knows the first album but this one has some bangers too. A lot of thrash albums from the 80's had that one ballad followed by a fast song to swing the pace the other way. This is the song after the album ballad.

Richter915 and riotspray like this.
  15. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

Filthy:

16. swboyd

17. swboyd

Contender for grindcore album of the year.

Weird LiBrary likes this.
  18. inspectorkemp May 24, 2020
    (Last edited: May 24, 2020)
    inspectorkemp

a literal succubitch

I'll do you one better! This is a new metal releases playlist maintained by one of the folks over at Shreddit. They update it I think weekly or so and add a ton of stuff every time, it's where I get most of my news on new releases from.

To The Teeth | New Metal, a playlist by To The Teeth on Spotify

I can't embed this for some reason, RIP.

It's better than mine because I move things in and out of that playlist pretty much daily so it'd be hard for anybody else to follow but from here I basically just follow the links from each individual artist to their new albums on Spotify and then save the whole album to a "catch-up" playlist. Except in my case I spell it "Ketchup" because I think I'm funny.

19. theagentcoma

Ha! I was thinking this might be the one. I follow this one too, in addition to the newsletter. What are the odds haha

inspectorkemp likes this.
  20. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

riotspray likes this.
  21. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I really loved Killing With a Smile era PWD.

22. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

This is my favorite album by them:

DaydreamNation and Blainer93 like this.
  23. Nate_Johnson May 25, 2020
    (Last edited: May 25, 2020)
    Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

What does everyone think of the debut album by Make Them Suffer? Melodic Deathcore? It is interesting for sure. Were there any bands at the time (2008) doing this same thing?

I ask because I am reviewing their new album coming out and they have had a very interesting career.

riotspray and inspectorkemp like this.
  24. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

I was obsessed with PWD when I was 16-18. First two albums still enjoyable from a nostalgic view but wow their two newest albums sucked

25. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

I don’t think they “sucked“ per se. Its the next step for them. They took a huge risk alienating a lot of their fans but they are still doing really well for themselves.

I actually listen to Ire all the time.

riotspray and theagentcoma like this.