Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Metal Thread Genre • Page 430

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

After buying a house and planning for a baby, I can relate to this way too much at the moment. I wouldn't be at the show I'm at tonight if I paid full price for tickets ($25). I'm at least grateful moving away from a major city makes it easier to curtail my spending on activities like shows and bars while actually being able to afford a mortgage.

Aka being a real adult sucks.

2. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Can confirm, I miss going up shows without looking at my bank account or thinking about priorities

theagentcoma likes this.
  3. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I totally get it man. Blood Incantation was insane the last time I saw them. Definitely a good choice.

Nate_Johnson and theagentcoma like this.
  4. riotspray Sep 16, 2019
    (Last edited: Sep 17, 2019)
    riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I recently got out of a long term relationship that tied up all my money, time and sanity for years. Now that I have the ability, I'm going to whatever I can, but I still hunt for discount tickets and have to skip some of the bigger, more expensive shows.

5. inspectorkemp

a literal succubitch

I don't go to as many shows as I otherwise would because I live in the middle of bumfuck nowhere as far as tours are concerned. Next to nobody comes out here, and one of our major metal venues just closed up shop. Due to that pretty much any show means at least an hour of driving on the to and return trips, to say nothing of merch and what have you. As a result the ticket price usually ends up quadrupled whatever it was on entry, assuming something is close to the usual 20-30 dollar price range, plus gas and merch money since bands usually make dick from ticket sales AFAIK.

It might be easier given that I'm post-college and lucky enough to not have to worry about rent due to living with relatives, but I'm still plenty busy between frantic job searching and other obligations. Oh well. At least I'm not totally broke 24/7 anymore.

6. DarkHotline

Where you live at?

inspectorkemp likes this.
  7. inspectorkemp

a literal succubitch

I won't give specific cities because I'm paranoid, but eastern Iowa. I lived in western Illinois until recently and that area isn't much better for tours. In Illinois most bands only go to Chicago and the surrounding area and in Iowa they either go to Des Moines which is a long ass drive for me, or they skip the state entirely (can't blame them).

8. DarkHotline

Man that’s rotten, I feel for ya there

inspectorkemp likes this.
  9. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Revisited the last Krallice album yesterday. Man I need more from that band.

coleslawed and Haruni like this.
  10. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah I'm pretty fortunate to live in a city that gets tons of tours. The problem is that I listen to so much stuff that there's often times 2-3 (or more) shows in a single night that I'm interested in.

Nate_Johnson, Richter915 and swboyd like this.
  11. swboyd

The Quad Cities and Iowa City ain't a bad area for tours from what I've gathered depending on where exactly you live. Closet Witch is pretty damn sick if you haven't checked them out.

inspectorkemp and Texas Flood like this.
  12. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

I've already seen them twice and they're amazing. I hope they play more new stuff!

riotspray likes this.
  13. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

I look back at all the concerts I have gone to and wouldn’t take it back for the world, but at the same time that phase of my life is over pretty much except here and there. Having kids, a house, a job and going on trips, etc. trump seeing bands any day.

14. DarkHotline

This is seriously great

currytheword likes this.
  15. inspectorkemp

a literal succubitch

Those are the exact two areas that I've seen most of my shows in, as it turns out! Lol. I've seen Closet Witch live once and hung out with their vocalist after the show for a bit, super nice person. They're not bad for sure but anytime a tour at all comes through is something of an event as opposed to bigger cities where shows every weekend or so is business as usual. That's what I mean.

16. inspectorkemp

a literal succubitch

The biggest exception was when I made a three and a half hour drive to and from Des Moines several years ago just for Nekrogoblikon.

Worth it.

Richter915 likes this.
  17. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

theagentcoma, swboyd and Nate_Johnson like this.
  18. Elder Lightning

19. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

inspectorkemp and KidLightning like this.
  20. Elder Lightning

One-man project from a member of Blasphemous. Per the Bandcamp page: "For fans of Hate Eternal, early Gorguts, early Decapitated and early Ulcerate."

21. Horrorca

Trusted

KidLightning likes this.
  22. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

KidLightning and riotspray like this.
  23. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

KidLightning likes this.
  24. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Lots of cool stuff out tomorrow... Exhumed, Exhorder, #12 Looks Like You, Monolord, Coffins, The Agonist

theagentcoma and Nate_Johnson like this.
  25. swboyd

fuck yeah.