Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Metal Thread Genre • Page 397

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. currytheword

Trusted

This is the best take.

Richter915 and DarkHotline like this.
  2. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Ok so I'm wrapping up my 5th (6th?) listen of Nemesis Divina right now (Satyricon's 3rd album).

I think I can understand why it stands at 97% on the archives. It's just overall more intense, more mature, and more polished than the first two albums. That's not very descriptive, but the urgency is immediately felt with Satyr's proclamation of "This is Armageddon!" as the first line to the opener "The Dawn of a New Age" which is an absolute mammoth of a song. That's basically the bar being set for the rest of the album, which is just full of dynamic riffs. The incorporation of a grand piano here and there is a nice touch. The aggression is more in line with stuff I tend to lean towards. It's less straightforward blast beats and tremolo picking and more movement and atmosphere. Also, IGN named it as one of the 10 best black metal albums so that's got to count for something, right?

I don't really know what to expect for the next album. It sits at 61% on the archives (which are definitely not the end-all be-all of scores/reviews) and has the difficult task of following up this album. I'll try to keep an open mind, but I'm not sure what I'll be walking in to.

Richter915 likes this.
  3. theagentcoma

Also here's a quick demo from a French thrash band Baphomet that came out last week. Only two songs, but a fun listen. Looking forward to what they do next.

coleslawed and Richter915 like this.
  4. Horrorca

Trusted

@theagentcoma

really been enjoying your reviews of Satyricon!

excited to hear your opinion on the next two

my take is that ND, RE & Volcano are tier 1 records but the two latter ones suffered from classic baseless black metal fan backlash - they are massive & very powerful

Richter915 and theagentcoma like this.
  5. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

[​IMG]

Woah

6. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

He has this weird obsession with remaining underground. I don't particularly care for that but it's risky, especially in regards to retaining good band members.

For example, geert to this day remains my favorite vocalist in any hardcore act...yet the band lost him and he's doing some boring acoustic thing back in the Netherlands (it's actually pretty good). I can't blame that on fox entirely but I doubt much was done to keep talent in the band.

7. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

I think Chad is still my favorite vocalist they had but Geert is a very close second.

Richter915 likes this.
  8. theagentcoma

I'm biased towards Chad because I love NFG lol

Richter915 and Nate_Johnson like this.
  9. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Riff city!

Richter915 and currytheword like this.
  10. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Definitely feels like a nice follow up to Incarnate and Disarm the Descent. Jesse sounds good as well post surgery.

I’m not sure it was the best single since it’s more of a ballad but I’m still excited to hear what they have been working on.

currytheword likes this.
  11. Argus

Of sugar and ice I am made

12. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

wowwwww

13. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Richter915 and LightWithoutHeat like this.
  14. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

15. currytheword

Trusted

One of my best friend's was in a band in which their vocalist had a connect that set him up to do vocals for Shai at one point. He was deterred by some who knew Fox and said "expect to be told to shut up on tour, not take interviews and to be told what you're gonna sing and not have any input whatsoever on the band." He turned it down because of this. Fox is a super talented guy, but also an insane control freak and a real dickbag to many talented guys that wanted to work with him because of their love for Shai Hulud.

Richter915 likes this.
  16. currytheword

Trusted

Pretty damn good! This is honestly the closest that I think Jesse has sounded to emulating Howard on the mic.

17. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

late getting around to it but holy heck the full of hell album is great

18. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

I don’t think he is trying to sound like him...

19. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

20. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  21. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

One of my faves so far this year

phaynes12 likes this.
  22. currytheword

Trusted

No definitely not! That wasn’t how I meant it. Jesse 100% does his own thing, this is just the first time where a song he’s done since being back in the band reminded me heavily of Howard.

riotspray and Nate_Johnson like this.
  23. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

24. Argus

Of sugar and ice I am made

Is it not showing up anymore? Alcest announcing that their new album is titled Spiritual Instinct, and that it's out on October 25th via Nuclear Blast. Single and more details still forthcoming.

25. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

The new Killswitch Engage single is alright. Glad to see they're still doing their thing after almost 20 years even though they don't hit as hard for me as they used to.

riotspray likes this.