Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Metal Thread Genre • Page 394

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. cherrywaves

Trusted

Good live band

riotspray likes this.
  2. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Good to hear.

I guess I should give their first record a spin too. Never even knew they existed until the newest album dropped.

3. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

First new Sacred Reich album in 23 years coming in August and produced by Arthur Rizk (Power Trip, Code Orange, Turnstile):

riotspray and Nate_Johnson like this.
  4. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Yes!!!

Davjs, riotspray and KidLightning like this.
  5. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Well I've listened to The Shadowthrone (1994) - Satyricon's second album - at least 5 times now. It's safe to say I like it better than the debut, which was also released in 1994 (recorded in the fall of '93). That's definitely not an indictment of Dark Medieval Times, I just prefer the more polished approach on the sophomore album. Polished as in, tighter and better songwriting/execution, not in terms of production. This is 2nd wave Norwegian black metal, after all.

The first seconds of the album consists of vocalist Satyr shrieking in his native language, which translates to "The fight against God and Christ has begun" or something like that, don't quote me. Perfect opening to an album that is somehow more primal and evil sounding than the debut. Better use of synths, timely implementation of acoustic/soft passages, and chanted vocals give this album the classic wintry black metal atmosphere, with the trademark medieval touch I'm coming to associate with this band. I really like those chanted clean vocals. Go listen to the beginning of "Vikingland" and tell me that's not catchy.

As I've mentioned numerous times, black metal isn't really my thing. I find it to be too repetitive, simple, and overly reliant on atmosphere - especially the 2nd wave. That's an oversimplification of a genre that has come a hell of a long way since the early 90's to where it might not seem impressive anymore, but these guys were on the forefront of the genre back then. I can respect and appreciate that.

I enjoyed this album and didn't find it a chore to get through. I'm also enjoying my time with this band so far, which is making me retroactively appreciate the genre more. I'm interested to see how I feel about the other releases when I revisit them after this little rabbit hole.

But first, I'm on to the next album Nemesis Divina, which sits at an impressive 97% on the archives. This is the big one, isn't it?

swboyd likes this.
  6. theagentcoma

As for some non-Satyricon stuff, here are a couple of fun things I've spun this week.

Italian black/speed/thrash that's full of riffs. Probably been posted already since it came out a few weeks ago:

And for some super cheesy epic/heavy speed metal, I present to you Skelator from San Diego. Album came out last week. Look at that cover art and listen to the first song. That's all you need to know.

Richter915 likes this.
  7. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

Best cover art I've seen in a long time.

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  8. Davjs

Trusted

Man I am so pumped for this. I'm a minority, but their last album was my favorite of theirs. I can't believe a band this old is still going so strong.

9. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I should probably give the last (couple) KSE records another spin. Didn't immediately click with me when they came out but AOJB is my favorite of theirs and while I love Howard, I was excited to hear Jesse back.

Davjs and Nate_Johnson like this.
  10. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

The last two with Jesse are great.

Davjs and riotspray like this.
  11. Davjs

Trusted

I saw them live not too long after Incarnate was released and man, Jesse killed all Howard's songs and his own. I am a Jesse > Howard dude now even though I can't say anything negative about either.

This is the first song I heard that I realized Jesse could maybe overshadow the old stuff.

Nate_Johnson and currytheword like this.
  12. currytheword

Trusted

I like both guys a lot with the band. I think Jesse takes the edge.

riotspray, Nate_Johnson and Davjs like this.
  13. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

They're both fantastic vocalists and front men. In a perfect world they'd both be fronting KSE and dueting on vocals.

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  14. Davjs

Trusted

Haha that'd be nuts. I'd love it though. Howard is guesting on this new one I think.

riotspray likes this.
  15. theagentcoma

holy shit first PNW Eternal Champion show and it's in CANADA. I gotta my damn passport/enhanced driver's license

swboyd likes this.
  16. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

It’s also helps they are super nice guys and their live show is insane.

riotspray likes this.
  17. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

This is one of my favorite songs off Incarnate. The band is just firing on all cylinders.

riotspray likes this.
  18. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

Them + Idle Hands and Oxygen Destroyer would be a nice treat to behold.

theagentcoma likes this.
  19. theagentcoma

Nate_Johnson and swboyd like this.
  20. swboyd

FFO crust with a Holy Roar recs lean and proletariat politics

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  21. swboyd

FFO TRVE HEAVY METAL AND DUNGEONS & DRAGONS

22. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Holy Roar is pretty diverse.

swboyd likes this.
  23. swboyd

It's in line with stuff like Rolo Tomassi, Ithaca, and Svalbard IMO.

24. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Ok. So sort of atmospheric metalcore. I’ll take it!

25. swboyd

Wouldn't go for far as to say atmospheric metalcore per say, but it does have that metal/hardcore/crust blend that those acts have. It was the first thing that came to mind for me when I was writing that even if it probably isn't the most apt comparison. LoL.

Nate_Johnson likes this.