Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Metal Thread Genre • Page 393

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Horrorca

Trusted

sorry for the late reply - I just have a comp & that’s all I know about them but I understand it is more of a splits / demo band than lp band

2. SuperCoolFool

I have to tell you something....I eat lightbulbs

shit forgot austerity program is a thing, gonna jam this b4 work

3. Jon

Regular

I will be doing writeups later I don't have time right now but I wanted to post my ranking of the Blut Aus Nord discography before I forget. Stellar band, I loved the albums, I heard before this challenge, but I love even more, I love 8 of them, strongly like 3 of them, and my least favorite isnt even that bad.
    Brief Recaps coming later, fathers activities are about to happen

1. Blut Aus Nord - The Work Which Transforms God (2003)
    2. Blut Aus Nord - MoRT (2006)
    3. Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta III: Saturnian Poetry (2014)
    4. Blut Aus Nord - 777: Cosmosophy (2012)
    5. Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta II: Dialogue With the Stars (2009)
    6. Blut Aus Nord - Ultima Thulee (1995)
    7. Blut Aus Nord - 777: Sect(s) (2011)
    8. Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta I: Fathers of the Icy Age (1996)
    9. Blut Aus Nord - 777: The Desanctification (2011)
    10. Blut Aus Nord - Deus salutis meæ (2017)
    11. Blut Aus Nord - Odinist - The Destruction of Reason by Illumination (2007)
    12. Blut Aus Nord - The Mystical Beast of Rebellion (2001)

coleslawed, Richter915 and swboyd like this.
  4. Horrorca

Trusted

whoah that was fast

riotspray likes this.
  5. currytheword

Trusted

Is the bad names talk limited to metal acts? If not then Dislocated Boner is definitely the worst name i've ever heard used. Do yourself a favor and don't look up their music.

riotspray likes this.
  6. inspectorkemp

a literal succubitch

Begging For Incest actually kinda slap though, unironically.

7. Horrorca

Trusted

anyone interested in a vinyl copy of Sulphur Aeon’s last album (color 2xlp)?

I just can’t get into it & would like to trade for anything I like... doesn’t have to be metal but don’t hmu w/ crap lol

8. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

swboyd and theagentcoma like this.
  9. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

theagentcoma likes this.
  10. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

Eh. This just makes them a lot easier to write off for me honestly. They were one of those bands that I always respected their talent, but couldn't get into their music all too much because of songwriting. Terminal Redux was about 20 minutes too long.

11. swboyd

theagentcoma likes this.
  12. swboyd

coleslawed and Mo Bounce like this.
  13. Mo Bounce

Mo bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce

Dave Mustaine diagnosed with throat cancer.
    From his Instagram account:

14. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

dude is absolutely out of his gourd but that’s sad

swboyd likes this.
  15. swboyd

[​IMG]

This looks fun.

riotspray likes this.
  16. Horrorca

Trusted

Katatonia - Dance of December Souls (1993)

Katatonia’s first full length only preceded by the Jhva Elohim Meth demo.

Understanding this dark & melancholic record does not require much context - it’s monumental coldness & sorrow speaks (screams!) for itself, but there are a few interesting bits of information around the album / this era of the band worth exploring - after all, music, & especially underground music like some punk & metal, can transcend the music aspects & philosophy / context can very much become part of the art (& this is coming from a separate art from artist guy! food for thought!); at the very least, we all know people into underground art are fascinated by detail so let’s go!

Katatonia at this stage were Renkse (drums, vocals) & Anders Nyström, who composed most music & played guitars & bass - two odd kids from Stockholm obsessed with music & death who liked to hang out in graveyards and forests blasting Hammerheart through their headphones

after fucking around for a while they managed to pinpoint their influences & come up with an artistic map to be followed to the Katatonia destination - the melody & pace of Paradise Lost & the atmosphere & spirit of black metal, more specifically, gods Bathory & their pummeling sound

after originally being presented as black metal by their label, due to their bearing of corpse paint among other things, much has been debated on the www as to what genre DoDS actually belongs to... a futile exercise yet an intriguing one for metal fans... the world seems to have settled for death doom and for a long time I agreed w/ that (slow plodding pace) , yet after going through interviews & listening intently to the record this week, I’m ready to reassess & say I can clearly feel the spirit of black metal here - musically v different to the early 90’s bands from Norway that came to define the sound, but the intent & atmosphere are definitively pulling strongly towards black metal to the point where it would be hard to call it anything but that

in musical terms, this sound was developed in part due to their technical limitations at the time, particularly Renske’s drumming, who was incapable of playing faster parts reliably; as a result the band was convinced by certain up & coming metal producer (none other than soon to be legend Dan Swanö!!!) to focus on the slower parts, which would also help create a more unique vision - at least in his estimation - the band eventually agreed

certain studio decisions (and some mistakes) resulted in the cold, icy sound, of the demo & it worked wonders to emphasis the Scandinavian melancholy on display... as such, they would follow the same path in the full length

Blackheim’s compositions show several influences besides the aforementioned Bathory & Paradise Lost, stuff like the Fields of Nephylim & Sisters of Mercy, which gives the music a unique melodic approach & results in the incorporation of elements from music outside metal sub-genres (something the band always intended... as an interesting little bit, there are many stories floating around about Anders admitting to purposely stealing The Cure melodies & incorporating them into songs almost note by note! haven’t found a direct quote tho!) - the result was a special, incomparable sound that hasn’t been cloned successfully by any band

on top of the monumental sound and Anders’s clear ear for exquisite sorrowful melody, we have one of the most passionate & tormented vocal performances in history - listening to Renske’s vocals here sends chills down my spine! in fact, he went so hard that he permanently damaged his vocal chords, prompting a change in style that would push Katatonia to the metal rock anthems we all know... interesting to think what would have happened if Renske didn’t fuck his throat!!!

rounding the sound, Dan Swanö sprinkled some synths here and there adding a bit of a gothic touch - funny enough you can find some label fliers around touting Katatonia as a gothic black metal band! ha!

all in all, this is a bleak, slow, melodic & supremely sorrowful affair with a very distinct & powerful atmosphere!! total masterpiece!! if you haven’t you need to check this out

Richter915 and theagentcoma like this.
  17. CellarGhosts

Trusted Prestigious

yeah, the news about mustaine is sad. regardless of his insane beliefs, I've always liked the guy, and no one (well, almost no one) deserves to get that kind of news or go through that battle.

Mo Bounce likes this.
  18. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

This Gift is a Curse is just pure brutality. Nonstop punishment from the moment you hit play. Reminds me a lot of some 90’s era metallic hardcore with some black metal thrown in.

KidLightning likes this.
  19. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

20. swboyd

i'm intrigued. hopefully it'll be better than the coldcock whiskey that kerry king has been trying to get us metalheads to drink consistently.

21. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

I think that's why I enjoyed them, usually I get bored with long albums but terminal redux kept me hooked.

Ah well, guys in metal and rock are just shitty people, shouldn't surprise me.

inspectorkemp and swboyd like this.
  22. Mo Bounce

Mo bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce

23. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

First listen of The Shadowthrone, really enjoy it so far.

24. swboyd

KidLightning and Richter915 like this.
  25. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Listening to that Spirit Adrift album again right now and I'm really into it. Probably gonna try to catch their show this weekend.