Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Metal Thread Genre • Page 392

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Horrorca

Trusted

I’m not the one to ask about metallic hxc to be honest... Earth Crisis?

anyway, I suggested a sludge band because of yr other comment on that post... on that vein I don’t know how familiar you are with eyehategod (now that someone else brought them up re: bad band names (I like the name tho ha)), but they are sick

2. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

A few suggestions for "metallic hardcore-ish" bands that have enough records to make this interesting...

Shai Hulud, Dillinger Escape Plan, Harms Way, Zao, All Out War...

This is just a list of bands I need to explore more outside of the 1-2 albums I'm familiar with.

3. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

Do misery signals

4. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Goddamn you can't go wrong with Shai Hulud, Mis Sigs, and Zao

5. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

This album is still insane:

6. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

7. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

do it with weight you cowards

coleslawed likes this.
  8. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

Haha I am very familiar with Eyehategod - they're one of my favourite 'first wave' sludge bands next to Crowbar and Acid Bath. But all good - sludge and metallic hardcore are just my two preferred genres so if you know anything else in any other realm I'll try it.

coleslawed likes this.
  9. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

I may try Zao - I've heard those two albums on Ferret they released but I haven't dug into the older stuff so kaboom, I got me one.

riotspray likes this.
  10. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

I'm going to say that next to Misery Index and Serpent Of Gnosis, the new Beheaded album forms a triumvirate of my favourite DM albums released this year so far.

Richter915 likes this.
  11. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

Also, this is from last year and I'm kicking myself I didn't know about it then, because it actually would've been in my top ten. Nasty, ugly fucking sludge/death metal/hardcore/crust shit from New Zealand.

12. Horrorca

Trusted

I love Acid Bath!! that’s awesome

well, in any case, go listen to Noothgrush - I think you will love them

13. Horrorca

Trusted

14. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

I will give them a go - I'm sure I can find the albums on YouTube.

Unfortunately I am very familiar with Celeste - I'm pretty up to scratch with any modern post-metal/sludge stuff. But they are fucking sick and kudos for the very on point recommendation regardless!

EDIT: I looked up Noothgrush on Metal Archives and noticed that they pretty much just have the one album - do the compilations count as albums or are they pretty much the same tracks rehashed?

15. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Nucleus is cool. I just wish the production was better.

Richter915 and theagentcoma like this.
  16. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

So I'm a couple of song in to Noothgrush's Erode The Person and... it's pretty good. I'll be honest and say it just kind of does what I already like from Eyehategod and Iron Monkey but it's pretty damn good still. The guitar tone if fucking foul in the best possible way and the vocals are like the opposite of Mike Williams; hateful and broken, but with an air of actively wanting to hurt someone.

17. Jon

Regular

Noothgrush are local legends. Dig deep if you can, but yeah most of their material are demos and splits but they are nasty

18. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

Oh its fucking solid - made it through and holy shit it all just comes together so well. It's like if you took the best bits of Eyehategod and Iron Monkey and made them aound even fucking uglier. I plan to dig deep for sure.

19. Jon

Regular

20. theagentcoma

super not trying to be rude but you can quote multiple posts in a single post of your own lol

and yess listen to older Zao

21. theagentcoma

alright here's my late thoughts on Dark Medieval Times (1994) by Satyricon.

I had no prior frame of reference for this band, I kinda always thought it was a dumb name and assumed maybe they were a shitty industrial metal band. But after looking into them a bit more, I became aware that they were part of the second wave of black metal that thrived in Norway in the early 90's. That puts them up there with all the mainstays like Darkthrone, Immortal, Emperor, Taake, and Mayhem.

With that in mind, I knew exactly what to expect. Frigid and dark black metal perfect for winter. Unfortunately it's July, but the blast beats, guttural shrieks, classic tremolo picking, and frigid production gave me the feeling of walking through a wintry forest in search of a castle - which is hilarious, because there's literally a song on this album called "The Dark Castle In The Deep Forest." That goes to show that the frozen atmosphere they were attempting to evoke in the listener was a success. I enjoyed the brief softer passages with acoustics and flutes. I can even see how a couple of my favorite modern black metal bands (Caladan Brood, Obsequiae) can be traced back to this band by means of other mainstays like Summoning and Dissection.

All in all, I enjoyed it. Straight up black metal never really excited me. It's all about atmosphere for most of these bands, and this album does the whole cold winter thing as well as any other 2nd wave Norwegian black metal band. Plus I love medieval shit.

Next up, The Shadowthrone.

22. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

The new Pinkish Black is really good. Drony, 80’s dark synth with a touch of doom thrown in. I love how atmospheric it is.

23. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

inspectorkemp and theagentcoma like this.
  24. theagentcoma

Richter915 likes this.
  25. Horrorca

Trusted

great write up! IMO it’s a bit hard to be excited about this record if you discover it today unless you’re a second wave maniac in which case you would already know it

shadowthrone builds up on DMT (lol) & then Nemesis Divina takes it to another level & solidifies them as a legacy act - you will be impressed by ND regardless of it being an “old” record

that said, Frost’s drumming makes up for the lack of novelty so to speak

and then RE is a different beast altogether & Volcano is a very unique BM record in its minimalism, super hi-fi production & rock & roll elements (imo no other records have this exact approach)

excited to hear your thoughts as you progress - I promise that the band will become more exciting as you advance through the discog

theagentcoma likes this.