Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Metal Thread Genre • Page 387

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

I love the dude and he isn't a douche about stuff, so I would dig that.

2. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

3. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

SLEEP FUCKING RULED

man, matt pike is a fucking legend.

4. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

did he wear a shirt

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  5. phaynes12

6. Nate_Johnson Jun 12, 2019
    (Last edited: Jun 12, 2019)
    Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Oh god, I’ve made it to the S/T and I almost turned it off after the first song.

Update: Powered through it and will post my thoughts on the journey in a bit.

riotspray likes this.
  7. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Richter915 and currytheword like this.
  8. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Quick ranking and synopsis of my journey with Suicide Silence:

1. No Time to Bleed: This album is as true deathcore as it gets and is just BRUTAL. The lyrics are still a bit cringey but the band is at the top of their game here.
    2. You Can't Stop Me: Hernan is a beast! His vocal range is insane and in some ways he is actually a better vocalist than Mitch. This album really is amazing and highly recommended.
    3. The Cleansing: This is a solid debut full length for the band and BRUTAL as well. The lyrics are pretty cringe worthy but I think as a whole its a very cohesive album.
    4. The Black Crown: A solid album and a bit of a departure from their brutality and death core roots but the lyrics are the best Mitch has written and it's a nice balance between death core and nu metal.
    5. S/T: WHAT THE HELL IS THIS DISGRACE?! How the mighty have fallen...
    This is what happens when you try and steal the thunder from the big names in Nu Metal(The Deftones and Slipknot) and totally drag it through the mud. I can see some redeeming quality in tracks like Dying in a Red Room and Conformity but O.M.G. this is bad. Even Hernan's vocals are god awful. Ross Robinson should be ashamed of himself and Mitch is turning over in his grave listening to this filth.

I did check out the live benefit concert they did with all of the various vocalists filling in for Mitch and for the most part it's very good. Highly recommended.

Overall, I think the band is a good glimpse into the world of Deathcore with some highs and VERY LOW LOWS...
    I truly hope they bounce back and find what made them great in the first place.

9. Argus

Of sugar and ice I am made

I've seen High on Fire three times, and I've yet to see the man in a shirt.

coleslawed likes this.
  10. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

11. currytheword

Trusted

This is interesting to me that you have YCSM 2nd but the S/T so low. Everyone's comments i've ever read to seem to always pick a side between Mitch or Hernan so its just interesting to see one of those albums rank very high and the other the worst for you. Love reading your opinions though too so do this again for every band ever.

riotspray and Nate_Johnson like this.
  12. currytheword

Trusted

Every person that I tell i'm seeing Slipknot this summer usually says "Oh that's cool, will probably be fun. Who's opening?" and once I list the openers the response is always "YO, GOJIRA IS SO DOPE" or something in the same vein. I've definitely been sleeping on this band and need to check them out on record before August.

13. swboyd

Cameron likes this.
  14. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

I just ranked them on how I enjoyed them. No bias aside on what vocalist was better. I think Hernan has FAR more range than Mitch but they are two very different vocalists. I took into account how the band played as well and musically those two albums are really good in my book.

currytheword likes this.
  15. Jon

Regular

I like how you did this, while I don't like Suicide Silence, I think its cool how you tackled a discography and then ranked them and shared your thoughts. I think I will do the same. But with what band should I do it?

currytheword and Nate_Johnson like this.
  16. phaynes12

why is all then witches opening this show lol

17. Jon

Regular

Yeah someone give me a few bands with 5+ albums under their belt that people would be curious to see me listen to and rank so I can do something akin to @Nate_Johnson

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  18. swboyd

Why not? They're pretty rad.

19. swboyd

Agathocles.

20. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

I stepped outside my comfort zone for this and although I am not sure how much I will revisit it, it was fun to listen to a band I had heard of, but never really listened to.

riotspray likes this.
  21. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

After the Burial

riotspray and Richter915 like this.
  22. phaynes12

they’re fine. they’re decidedly a different vibe than deafheaven and gojira lol

23. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  24. Jon

Regular

swboyd likes this.
  25. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Commenting for later. This is a fun idea, we should all get in on it