Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Metal Thread Genre • Page 351

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

I've got a fun next few days planned during my trip to New York City - seeing Ulver on Thursday and Friday and then going to St. Vitus for Unearthly Trance/Churchburn on Saturday. It's shaping up to be a good looking trip.

2. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

I've been needing something to scratch my ever present itch for medieval black metal like Obsequiae. The Vehemence album was a nice surprise but I think this is even better. Italian medieval/black. Came out a few weeks ago.

Ok enough with the black metal stuff. I feel like someone posted this seeing as it's been out for over a month, but if not, here's some heavy/power metal from Portland. This is Helstar worship done right:

And lastly, here's some fantasy-inspired doom from Baltimore in the vein of The Sword, Sabbath, High on Fire, etc. Formerly called Blood Mist, now Haze Mage. Comes out next month:

inspectorkemp and swboyd like this.
  3. the new Elizabeth Colour Wheel record is one of the best I've heard in a while

DarkHotline likes this.
  4. Horrorca

Trusted

saw them open for Planning for Burial & Have a Nice Life & they were excellent!!

what a fucking show btw wow

amorningofsleep likes this.
  5. cherrywaves

Trusted

I was definitely under the impression that they were shoegaze. I have been hearing good things though

6. theagentcoma

Richter915 likes this.
  7. Horrorca

Trusted

I dare you to mention a BM album that surpasses A Blaze In the Northern Sky - total fucking darkness!!!

8. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Waiting for Conjurer to go on and I am PUMPED

Nate_Johnson, Cameron and DarkHotline like this.
  9. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

I’m quite jealous, have a blast, man.

swboyd likes this.
  10. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I really want to go to my city’s Rivers of Nihil/Conjurer date.

riotspray and Richter915 like this.
  11. swboyd

Ulver were amazing. That's all I have to say.

theagentcoma likes this.
  12. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

GO!

I didn't get to stay for Rivers of Nihil, but Conjurer were soooooooo good.

13. currytheword

Trusted

14. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

Fuck, you're so lucky.

15. Horrorca

Trusted

show was so successful, they are hitting some other US cities!! you guys need to catch this show

Richter915 likes this.
  16. theagentcoma

Yo new Ripped to Shreds EP

Richter915 and Nate_Johnson like this.
  17. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

This is some of coolest yet mind warping stuff I had heard in a while. Might have to check out the whole album.

Richter915 likes this.
  18. swboyd

Random final NYC trip thoughts:

-After living in Chicago for five years, New York isn't a bad city, but it definitely didn't scratch any urge to move back to a major urban center in general other than for access for better food and show options.

-Getting to see Ulver twice was a treat. They played all of The Assassination of Julius Caesar and the Sic Transit Gloria Mundi EP both nights. They sounded incredible and played a lively set for a former black metal band turned synthpop nihilists. Kristoffer is an incredible vocalist and sounded very much like he did on the last LP. All in all, I'd say it was definitely worth making the trek up to NYC from Virginia.

-I went to see Churchburn, Unearthly Trance, Shabti, and Thaetas at St. Vitus on Saturday night. St. Vitus is a lot tinier of a place than the videos I've seen from the place made it seem. The drink specials were solid for NYC. The sound was pretty good. The bands were a varied lineup of acts from across NYC and the Northeast. Thaetas played a rad technical brand of brutal death metal that wouldn't be out of place on Unique Leader that normally isn't my cup of tea at this age, but they sounded great and definitely won me over by the end of their set. Shabti was the main surprise of the night, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised for a band that plays techy blackened/death metal and shares a drummer with Falls of Rauros. Holy shit, they were awesome. Please do yourself a favor and check them out. Unearthly Trance was the band I was most familiar with on the lineup as they've been a band for 15+ years, I believe, and have several releases on Relapse. They played a mix of doom/sludge songs from across their discography and sounded amazing for the local crowd (and at least two doofuses from out of state). Churchburn headlined the night and also sounded amazing with their loud as fuck blend of blackened sludge.

-Getting back to work today has not been pleasant to say the least...but I'll spare you all from my bitching beyond that.

riotspray likes this.
  19. Jon

Regular

Am I Going to see any peeps at Fire In the Mountains or Never Surrender Fest? Stacked lineups.

20. swboyd

I'd love to make Fire In The Mountains but can't justify the cost this year. It's a stacked lineup tho.

21. theagentcoma

This Portland-based death metal band is putting out a debut full-length soon, but their demo has been out for some time and it's some good stuff, if you're into OSDM with some catchy grooves/riffs.

Richter915 and riotspray like this.
  22. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

[​IMG]

Venom Prison on the cover of Kerrang what

riotspray likes this.
  23. theagentcoma

these are old songs by good bands that came on my Daily Mix today, FFO THRASSSHHH

Richter915 likes this.
  24. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I've been on the look out for some new metal. Been very into BTBAM and Pallbearer recently. Looking for some new melodic metal, maybe a bit more straightforward in terms of structure compared to BTBAM. Any recommendations?

25. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

So you are looking for Doom and Prog Metal recommendations?