Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Metal Thread Genre • Page 350

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. currytheword

Trusted

The premise for me asking:

Friend: “Metallica is better than any Metal band ever.”

Seeing as how no one said them, my point is made. Thanks y’all.

theagentcoma likes this.
  2. Horrorca

Trusted

ooooooh Black Sabbath is probably even a better answer than Slayer - good job!

nl5011, currytheword and Nate_Johnson like this.
  3. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Judas Priest is a good one

Motorhead too

EDIT maybe Death too

currytheword and Nate_Johnson like this.
  4. Horrorca

Trusted

I thought of Death for sure, but can’t compare w/ BS’s impact because while D influenced (almost) all extreme metal, BS influenced way more other stuff... probably even “invented” metal Idon’tknow

Richter915 and currytheword like this.
  5. inspectorkemp

a literal succubitch

My mind immediately went to Iron Maiden, tbh.

6. CellarGhosts

Trusted Prestigious

sabbath is the only acceptable answer, genre wouldn't exist (or would, at least, be VERY different) without them. priest are a close second. maiden are up there too but they had a pretty bad stretch of albums there in the 90s that notches them below priest, whose only truly bad albums are the ripper ones.

and nostradamus, but the other albums made after halford returned all whip ass so it can be forgiven. the albums maiden made with bruce after he came back have all been varying degrees of good, but they all suffer from bloat and, imo, kinda weak production.

7. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

I mean. Maybe it's just me - but this is such a subjective question depending on your preferences within the genre. One can respect Sabbath's influence and contributions within metal without being a huge fan of them...me case in point.

theagentcoma and currytheword like this.
  8. currytheword

Trusted

Seconded honestly. Huge respect for them, and I find Ozzy to be beyond entertaining as a person and a vocalist. As for the music, I am familiar with only 2 albums.

9. theagentcoma

Sabbath is the GODfather of metal, but they ain't the GOATfather

amorningofsleep and Nate_Johnson like this.
  10. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I mean Metallica isn't a terrible answer but it's ignoring the last 25 years of their career. Sure they've influenced tons of other bands but they drew HEAVILY from many bands before them. But the greatest metal band of all time and the most influential are not the same. Metallica might be the most influential just because they were/are so popular that everyone (including non metal fans) know their music. They're the entry point to metal for A LOT of people.

11. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

I agree. My brother in law hates heavy music and the other day he posted a picture of him at a Metallica concert. I asked why he went if he hates heavy music. His response: “It’s Metallica!”

I rolled my eyes and proceeded to ask him to give me 5 Metallica songs.

theagentcoma, currytheword and swboyd like this.
  12. swboyd

Fuel x 5.

13. cherrywaves

Trusted

I never ended up listening to Hardwired. That band has just burned me one too many times

14. swboyd

Hardwired ain't a bad listen. If you're a fan of Metallica, it's a decent return to form if you set your expectations low and know they won't reach the highs of their early material. My biggest complaint about it is that it's just overlong. There's a lot of filler that they could have cut out and had a decent 7/8 track, 45 min album.

15. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

I agree. It’s a very close return to form but not every song needs to be 8+ minutes. Trim the fat a bit!

riotspray, KidLightning and swboyd like this.
  16. currytheword

Trusted

I don’t enjoy Metallica outside of a handful of singles. Not sorry about it.

theagentcoma and Nate_Johnson like this.
  17. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

I think that is most people.

swboyd and currytheword like this.
  18. currytheword

Trusted

I actually once tried to skeet a copy of Death Magnetic but missed.

19. swboyd

New Amon Amarth single. Their new album is out in May. It sounds like Amon Amarth, which is to say, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Richter915, Joe and KidLightning like this.
  20. Horrorca

Trusted

I don’t like Metallica but their first records are classic & have their well deserved place in the metal pantheon

theagentcoma likes this.
  21. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

Ride the Lightning is one of the greatest albums ever, metal or not.

22. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

Richter915 and KidLightning like this.
  23. theagentcoma

This is the proper way to gatekeep, well done /s

actually wasn't too bad, Spit Out The Bone is one of the best songs they've written in decades tbh

Richter915 likes this.
  24. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Metallica was my favorite band of all time from the age of 10 until...

I guess I'd still rank them that high just because of the impact they had on my musical taste but I don't/can't defend their music the way I used to.

Richter915 likes this.
  25. theagentcoma

yo incoming music dump

Idk if anyone has listened to this sample, but Suffering Hour has an EP out next month that is literally just one 18-minute song. The sample is only 1:40 long but good lord it sounds amazing. So many weird riffs.

Here's some occult-ish primal Brazilian black metal from Mystifer, came out a few weeks ago.

Protogoni Mavri Magiki Dynasteia, by Mystifier

Chunky OSDM demo from Houston. Can't wait to see what they do next:

RETRIBUTION OF JEALOUS GODS, by MALIGNANT ALTAR

Black metal with a trad edge from the Philippines, comes out next month:

part 2 below