Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Metal Thread Genre • Page 311

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

That's fair. I thought they sounded great on the Audiotree performance, but I can definitely understand your criticism.

currytheword likes this.
  2. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

New Misery Index single.

Wow. This is hard.

KidLightning likes this.
  3. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

Season of mist has such an incredible roster

4. currytheword

Trusted

They sound great no doubt. I actually had been saying while watching it with my roommate that their vocalist’s delivery and sound is just like Bannon.

5 minutes later their interviewer asks who they cite as influence for their band.
    Collective “Converge” across the board haha.

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  5. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah, I get it though. I just like their sound and intensity, but I can see how the musicianship doesn't strike you as anything out of the ordinary (although their drummer is pretty crazy) - Also, the fact that they were unfamiliar with ETID was kinda crazy.

currytheword likes this.
  6. currytheword

Trusted

To me, it’s BS. Those guys are the same age as me, and clearly grew up a fan of the same music scene. But hardcore kids have always tried to act whatever about metal bands and that’s the vibe I was getting. You didn’t know how good ETID is or ever was, nor were you familiar with them until you opened for them this year?

Every time they got hit with a question the band just basically looked at the drummer and had him speak for everybody. I could totally be reading into it more than I should, but I’m usually not bad with reading people’s energy and vibe they give off and I was put off.

Band is gonna be huge no doubt and will be beyond successful at music than I ever will be so my points are all moot and I’m a sour ass.

coleslawed and riotspray like this.
  7. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Yeah, that’s kind of hard to believe if you know who Converge is that you don’t know who ETID is. For one they are on the same label.

8. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

I don't see what was wrong with what they said? Would have you preferred that they lied and said they were diehard ETID fans?

9. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah, I mean, I prefer they be honest about it about it but still seems strange that they'd be huge Converge fans and not even be familiar with ETID.

10. cherrywaves

Trusted

I mean I watched it too and the impression that I got is that they obviously knew who they were, but didn’t really listen to the music much

riotspray and Jake W like this.
  11. currytheword

Trusted

I'm only one guy. No, of course I don't want or think they should lie, but their delivery in answering questions just seemed kinda over it and snobby. Drummer is the coolest part of the band for me. The riffs were kinda repetitive and they just seemed like a band who knows they're the shit everybody is trying to get a whiff of right now.

12. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

I've been working on catching up on some random releases I missed or didn't listen to a lot over the course of 2018 over the last couple days. Here's a summary:

Angry Canadian queer cult doom/sludge duo FFO Forn, Amenra.

Aussie funeral doom legends FFO Ahab, Evoken

Portugese mystical black metal FFO Uada, Totem Skin

Dope Dutch black metal split FFO stuff

Chicago psychedelic doom worshippers FFO Windhand, Electric Wizard

inspectorkemp likes this.
  13. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

Damn I was gonna mention this but you beat me to it. So fucking good. I've missed these guys like crazy and wham, back at it again with the deathgrind assault.

14. Dust Of Fallen Rome Dec 12, 2018
    (Last edited: Dec 12, 2018)
    Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

Also here are my 20 AOTYs:

1. Pig Destroyer - Head Cage
    2. Vein - Errorzone
    3. Deafheaven - Ordinary Corrupt Human Love
    4. Jesus Piece - Only Self
    5. Cane Hill - Too Far Gone
    6. Psycroptic - As The Kingdom Drowns
    7. Harms Way - Posthuman
    8. Yashira - Shrine
    9. Cult Leader - A Patient Man
    10. Zeal & Ardor - Stranger Fruit
    11. VEXES - Ancient Geometry
    12. Conjurer - Mire
    13. Portrayal Of Guilt - Let Pain Be Your Guide
    14. High Tension - Purge
    15. Outer Heaven - Realms Of Eternal Decay
    16. Leeched - You Took The Sun When You Left
    17. Harakiri For The Sky - Arson
    18. Behemoth - I Loved You At Your Darkest
    19. Sevendust - All I See Is War
    20. Dodsrit - Spirit Crusher

15. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

I believe that was me and you are so welcome! It wasn't quite AOTY for me but it fucking slams so hard.

16. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

Ah shit this label literally never fucking disappoints. Ever.

Jake W likes this.
  17. Jake W

Kerrang knows

18. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

Man, Kerrang! seems to be improving a lot as a publication... they're definitely not The Sun of rock journalism anymore.

Jake W likes this.
  19. Jake W

They got a lot better last year, I think someone new took over. Employed To Serve was their AOTY last year

20. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

Honestly that makes me so happy. They became a tabloid rag in edgy clothing around 2006 and I used to rip on people that read it so hard. But reading some of the articles they've written recently it seems like they're pushing for quality music journalism again now; it's like reading Noisey but without the immense shame that you're reading Vice and contributing clicks to such a morally shitty publication.

And fuck yes, that's what's up. I'm super happy Employed To Serve have signed to Spinefarm. They deserve every good thing they get.

Petit nain des Îles and Jake W like this.
  21. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

This. I love Vein so much (Errorzone was my number 2 AOTY) but that shit was pretty cringe. I seriously doubt they're that unfamiliar with ETID considering they're kind of a hand-in-hand band for Converge fan at this point. Hell I got into Converge because I saw them recommended for ETID fans back in the day.

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  22. Jake W

Rock Sound have taken over with that lol

[​IMG]

Just remembered they even put Employed on the cover with Milk Teeth

Dust Of Fallen Rome likes this.
  23. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

Oh jesus fuck, Rock Sound. They actually used to be pretty damn cool but now it's the same 5 terrible bands repeated ad-nauseum on there. Plus super banal posts about boring stuff boring emo and pop punk singers posted on social media. I wouldn't even call them the new Sun of rock journalism - they're the Buzzfeed of rock journalism without the fun video content.

And holy shit nice. Employed To Serve and Milk Teeth together is good shit. Seeing Cursed Earth at the bottom there makes me sad though, after what happened with their lead singer and them being functionally disbanded now.

Petit nain des Îles and Jake W like this.
  24. Jake W

Yeah I loved Cursed Earth, that shit sucks

Dust Of Fallen Rome likes this.
  25. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

Hells yeah. KEN Mode, Benighted, Gorguts, River Black, Misery Index, Septicflesh, Anciients, Sinistro, Leng Tch'e, Deathspell Omega and Rotten Sound - what a roster!

Seriously, I'm waiting on baited breath for a new Rotten Sound album.

riotspray and Richter915 like this.