Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Metal Thread Genre • Page 295

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah, I know a lot of the metal community is gonna be shitty about his death because they jumped the shark a few records back and because of Phil's right wing affiliation, but Oli was a great guitarist. Aside from Phil, he was the only original member, and if I remember correctly he taught Mike Martin how to play.

I have a soft spot for ATR despite their music getting more and more mainstream over the years. I really hope the new record is solid though. Oli deserves to go out on a high note.

inspectorkemp likes this.
  2. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

The new Outer Heaven slaps hard:

3. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

I like this based on the art alone

riotspray and inspectorkemp like this.
  4. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

For some reason when I was listening to it, I kept thinking of Harms Way.

5. theagentcoma

Ha! You thought your day was over, right? YOU THOUGHT LIKE AN IDIOT

BECAUSE IT'S GODDAMMUTHAFUCKING THRASH METAL THVRSDAY YOU CANDY ASS POSEURS

Here's some fucking thrash/speed from the UK that came out last week. Fun as hell, with a song about Kurt Russell.

How about some black/thrash in the vein of Hellhammer? Also came out last week.

And this is a couple years older, but it's got fucking rifffssss man. German thrash that slays:

Richter915 and swboyd like this.
  6. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Saw After The Burial, The Acacia Strain and Erra last night.

Erra took a while to click for me, but Neon kinda solidified it for me, and now after seeing them twice, I'm fully on board.

The Acacia Strain was never really my thing, but they had a ton of energy and the crowd went wild for them. They played all of Continent which was cool since that's about the only album of theirs I'm really familiar with.

After the Burial was the main draw for me. They played Rareform in its entirety. I'd have preferred Forging a Future Self, but Rareform is a close second. I haven't seen them play in years, so not seeing Justin on stage was strange. I'm not sure if any of the original members are still in the band, so it was kinda weird seeing them play Rareform when none of these dudes wrote/recorded that album. But whatever, they still sounded great and the songs still slap, so I can't complain.

If it doesn't rain tonight, I'll be seeing Wolfheart/Mors Principium Est/Carach Angren - If it does rain, I might check out the Oh Sleeper/Terminal show instead.

7. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Damn...

This sound like Integrity!

8. swboyd

9. swboyd

The new Outre-Tombe is also pretty damn solid. Straight up French-Canadian death metal.

Richter915 likes this.
  10. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Finally checked out Slugde. Good stuff

Also thanks for the Blessed Black Wings rec. such a cool record

theagentcoma likes this.
  11. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

IT'S FOOKIN SPELT SLUGDGE GET IT WRITE

theagentcoma likes this.
  12. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

French Death, specifically French Tech Death has always consistently impressed me. I can't think of any bands in there I don't enjoy.

Neuraxis, Cryptopsy, Gorguts, Beneath the Massacre, Ion dissonance, Augury, Beyond Creation

So good

Your Milkshake and Nate_Johnson like this.
  13. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

KidLightning likes this.
  14. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

KidLightning likes this.
  15. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

16. duffe

I Want To Be There

enjoying the new Windhand

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  17. haiduk

demoniac

Haiduk
    [melodic blackened death metal]

New Albu\m/ – Exomancer

"

Richter915 likes this.
  18. currytheword

Trusted

I can't take triggered drums on a recording. Drives me nuts.

19. swboyd

Triggered drums have their place. Normal drum sounds have their place. Just depends on how they're used.

inspectorkemp likes this.
  20. inspectorkemp

a literal succubitch

Time for another recent listenings load-off.

New Dir En Grey is interesting. It's chock full of nu-metal esque groove-laden riffs and a varied vocal delivery. That seven and a half minute second-to-last track is one hell of a closing movement. This is also my first intro to Dir En Grey. Seems like an interesting group.

New Mutilated By Zombies. Wouldn't be me if I didn't showcase some straightforward, pummeling death metal. The guitars are thick, the vocals have some real punch, and the drums are nice and loud. Relatively clear-but-not-clean production too. I dig it.

Thy Darkened Shade. Greek black metal band that trends towards a more traditional black metal sound over a Hellenic BM style, though the influence is there without a doubt. I think black metal is finally starting to really click with me thanks to this album and a couple others. Also, man, that artwork is gorgeous.

Do you like Bolt Thrower? Yes you do. Listen to the new Weak Aside album, the shit is good.

And some groovy-as-fuck grindcore to end things off with Birdflesh. Just a super damn fun record that goes by in less than half an hour. Bite sized brutality is how it's done best.

Joe and theagentcoma like this.
  21. currytheword

Trusted

Love Dir En Grey. Such a criminally underrated band. I remember there being a tour of them and Deftones together when I was just getting into high school or around that time and I was too young to drive to shows myself. There was another band on that tour that I liked and can't remember who it was.

22. theagentcoma

Anyone in the mood for some icy Russian atmospheric black metal? This just came out yesterday:

23. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Ringworm, Miss May I, Hatebreed and GWAR tonight!

Hatebreed is one of my favorite live acts. They always put on a fun show. Gwar and Ringworm are just icing on the cake. Miss May I are good at what they do, maybe they'll win me over more live.

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  24. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

Dumb question.

I've been listening to a lot of the Blackwater Park, Ghost Reveries, Watershed era Opeth records lately. What other bands do progressive metal with singing/screaming similar to that? I've listened around on a lot of the suggested artists on Spotify, and they all seem a lot cheesier than Opeth.

25. currytheword

Trusted

Check out Greyhaven. Been really impressed with their newest album lately.

Nate_Johnson and Micah511 like this.