Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Metal Thread Genre • Page 272

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

Random Friday music updates:

-The new Mutilation Rites slaps so hard. Probably gonna end up being a top 15 release for me this year. It's a perfect blend of primal black and death metal to my ears.

-The new Ona Snop record also slaps hard, but I should probably digest it a bit more before making proclaimations about where it's gonna fall within the year for me. Check it out if you like snotty grindcore FFO The Afternoon Gentlemen, Backslider, and Magrudergrind.

-The new Skeletonwitch delves a bit more into the black metal realm than I'm used to with those guys...it's solid, but it really makes me miss Chance as a vocalist. Not to say that Adam's work isn't bad (I was a fan of the Wolvhammer and Noose Rot releases he's on this year), but Skeletonwitch is just missing that extra something special that Chance gave them now. That said, I totally get why they kicked him out of the band and hope they keep at it perfecting their sound with Adam.

-Finally got around to giving the new Deafheaven record a listen, and it's solid. I'll leave it at that.

2. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Man I’ve liked all I’ve heard of King Woman before. Though now diving into their discography I’m smitten.

3. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

stacked with legends

theagentcoma and KidLightning like this.
  4. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

It's like, ten genres in one

5. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

I can't get enough of these guys...like 80s thrash with bits of death, beautiful solos...and some converge sounding riffs?

theagentcoma likes this.
  6. DarkHotline Jul 21, 2018
    (Last edited: Jul 21, 2018)
    DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

The new The Lion’s Daughter album is just so damn good, I’m proud of these dudes.

Richter915 likes this.
  7. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

spun it last night, love it

DarkHotline likes this.
  8. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

I think the new obscura is my number one album for the year. I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did.

theagentcoma likes this.
  9. DarkHotline

I really dig how the STL metal scene is cranking out great bands. Like between The Lion’s Daughter, Black Fast, Fister, and The Gorge, there’s some real cool stuff coming out here.

KidLightning and Richter915 like this.
  10. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Saw Sworn Enemy and Thy Will Be Done last night.

Thy Will Be Done has got to be the most underrated band in metal. The album's a decade old, but if you've never heard "Was and Is To Come", take a moment to check it out on YouTube (I don't think it's streaming anywhere else unfortunately) - KILLER record. Also met, J Costa (the singer) and he was SUPER appreciative of the support and hooked me up with CDs/demos. Awesome dude. Awesome band.

Minusblue54 and swboyd like this.
  11. swboyd

I've always enjoyed these guys. I saw them back in 2008(?) when they played Stillborn Fest with Hatebreed and God Forbid. Don't they have a new-ish album out?

riotspray likes this.
  12. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I'm so happy to see someone else that even knows their name.

They put out Was and Is To Come in 2007, followed it up with In Ancient of Days in 2009 and the Temple EP in 2012. They've been kind of quiet ever since (I think there were some lineup changes and what not) then they released a new song about a year ago.

I talked to them last night and they said they've recorded some stuff and have a deal to release the new record, but they're going to keep touring for the rest of the year and then put out a new record at the beginning of 2019. They played some new songs last night and they sounded great. I'm super excited.

Richter915 and swboyd like this.
  13. swboyd

14. swboyd

It took me a bit to get my memory up to speed about them - I remember getting In Ancient of Days from a promo company when I was doing college radio and digging it a lot. Earth's Final Embrace was such a banger. That tour is coming through Chicago this week, and I'd love to see them, but it's during the week so I probably can't make it into the city. It's good to see they're still trudging it out though considering they're not a bigger band in the scene.

riotspray likes this.
  15. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I wouldn't go out of my way to see this particular tour. They were good, but played mostly new stuff and a couple songs from the Temple EP. Sworn Enemy was fine, but I was never a huge fan, so...

They said they'll be touring throughout the rest of the year, so maybe they'll play near you again. If you liked In Ancient of Days, I highly suggest checking out their previous record "Was and Is to Come". I love both albums, but the debut absolutely slays.

swboyd likes this.
  16. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

Really enjoying the new Daron Malakian and Scars on Broadway album. Better than the first Scars album for sure.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  17. Yasqueen4

Trusted

Holy crap. like this a lot!

theagentcoma likes this.
  18. Yasqueen4

Trusted

@theagentcoma would you classify this more as just plain stoner/grungey rock or do you think it has some metal aspects to it?

19. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

leans more towards the stoner/grunge type stuff but it's still pretty cool!

Yasqueen4 likes this.
  20. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

can’t wait for new bosse de nage

Richter915 likes this.
  21. Yasqueen4

Trusted

His voice :heart:

22. CellarGhosts

Trusted Prestigious

23. DarkHotline

New Skeletonwitch is pretty fun

Yasqueen4 likes this.
  24. poppunkpotato

Jalen Ramsey is the GOAT

So i was never really into After The Burial but now that i've heard rareform for the first time (better late than never) i can't stop playing the album

riotspray and swboyd like this.
  25. swboyd

Rareform is After the Burial's best album by a country mile so you're doing good there.

Also, I legit LOLed when I saw this article this morning:

MESHUGGAH's MÅRTEN HAGSTRÖM On 'Djent': 'We're Very Sorry For Creating That Genre; We Didn't Intend To — Our Bad'

"It's our lead guitar player, Fredrik [Thordendal], being drunk back in the day, talking to one of our old-school fans, trying to explain what type of guitar tone we were always trying to get, and he was desperately trying to say, 'We want that 'dj_,' 'dj_,' 'dj_,' 'dj_.' And that guy was, like, 'What's he saying? Is that a Swedish word? Must be. Sounds like dj_, maybe 'djent'? Maybe something like that.' And that's where it comes from. A drunk misunderstanding, as always with MESHUGGAH."

Blame it on the alcohol, babyyyyy.