Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Metal Thread Genre • Page 241

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

I have slowly been replacing my CD collection with vinyl.

2. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Richter915 likes this.
  3. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

I still buy CD's all the time; I drive a lot and love having 6 different CD's in my dash at once, plus a fat booklet with more CD's in it. I don't want to have to use my phone/a powered device to have to listen to music

theagentcoma likes this.
  4. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

Phone + AUX cord in my car 4 life.

5. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

Last time I bought a CD was 2014. I wanted to buy the album from the Aimee Mann and Ted Leo project The Both, and for some reason on Amazon it was cheaper to buy the CD, which came with an instant download of the digital version, than it was to just buy the digital version.

But now I have nowhere to play CD's. Neither my car nor my computer have CD players. I think I could technically play them from my BluRay player in my living room, but I couldn't tell you the last time I used that either.

theagentcoma likes this.
  6. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

when my car just had a cd player id burn mix cd's every couple months. i had about 20+ mix cd's in my car at one point. then i got a car with a usb port and now i have a car with an aux

theagentcoma likes this.
  7. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

iPhone and Bluetooth all the way!

theagentcoma likes this.
  8. cherrywaves

Trusted

I don’t have any CD players except my car but I rarely find time to play vinyl. Used CD’s are cheap as hell, and I can always get an external cd drive to rip them to iTunes. It’s been like 5 years since I bought a cd though

theagentcoma likes this.
  9. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

I drive a 99 Honda Accord so there is no aux/Bluetooth to speak of lol so I still have my 3 cases of CDs

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  10. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

That was my first car. Loved that car and drove it into the ground. Then I got my beast!

theagentcoma likes this.
  11. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Chasing that radio sound; should buy them a ton of new fans, but I'm guessing a majority of their original fans won't care for it

12. swboyd

oof. this ain't good. reminds me a lot upon initial listen of lead sails-era atreyu...which wasn't great either.

13. inspectorkemp

a literal succubitch

I collect CD's. It's the main thing I do with my money. My end goal is to have a collection that might require a whole room for itself one day so I can be someone's badass-aunt/uncle-with-the-huge-metal-room someday. That and because I don't have the space or money for a big vinyl collection (reserve that for releases I have the UTMOST respect for) and I don't like not having physical things.

theagentcoma likes this.
  14. OdeToTheSun

Ø

Pretty much only buy CD’s when there’s something special with them anymore. Like bonus tracks and posters.. mostly from Target, haha.
    I’m starting my vinyl collection back up again though. Sold most of mine back when I needed some money. Got a promotion at work and make more, so I’m good now.

theagentcoma and Nate_Johnson like this.
  15. heroinman

Burnout

Buying CDs (no offense to anyone here) seems pointless to me today. My most recent laptop doesnt even have a disc drive. I'm also a stupid piece of shit and am - as a result - poor, so I dont have $20 to drop at every show. I buy tapes. There's usually a download code inside or lyric sheet or a patch inside and at $5 a pop thats pretty sweet. I rarely listen to them but I like to stack them up and stand back and go "wow" and feel a tiny sense of accomplishment surge through my little brain.

16. swboyd

Based on the argument you're making, you could also apply that to tapes and vinyl as pointless purchases. People like physical media of all types. Some, like me, prefer vinyl because the artwork typically is a little bigger and more defined. Some prefer CDs because they're a legacy format and still the most efficient physical media option in terms of portability. Some prefer tapes for the reasons you listed (price, ease to put out, the DIY nature of it).

People have different preferences...in theory, all are equally pointless as the others.

17. CellarGhosts

Trusted Prestigious

I'm actually liking these new Parkway Drive tracks. Radio-friendly rock doesn't have to be a bad thing, and it can be done well. I mean...I loved that Damned Things album that came out a few years back and it's unabashedly a radio-ready album.

So far I think Parkway are doing a good job of maintaining their core sound while incorporating more hooks. The flip side of this though, is that sometimes you end up with shit like that last Maylene and the Sons of Disaster record which apart from like three songs sounded like fucking Breaking Benjamin.

inspectorkemp likes this.
  18. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

First two Suffocate For Fuck Sake albums were put up for order on Moment of Collapse Records on vinyl. Snagged both, pretty stoked to finally own them!

Richter915 likes this.
  19. Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

New Agony Scene. I only every really listened to The Darkest Red album, but that album was bang on.

20. swboyd

I'm on the flipside with these Parkway Drive tracks...I just don't see the appeal of them at this point. They sound like Five Finger Death Punch or Atreyu b-sides to me. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

To me, The Damned Things record was a poppy hard rock record at its core that reminded me a lot of Thin Lizzy more than a modern radio rock record. Plus Keith Buckley is so damn affable in anything he's in at this point that it's hard not to live them.

Speaking of Damned Things, weren't we supposedly getting new material from them at some point?

KidLightning likes this.
  21. swboyd

New Skeletonwitch track.

Contender and Richter915 like this.
  22. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

I let the team down with Thrash Metal Thursday today with work/NFL draft occupying my time. To make up for it, Decibel is streaming the new Gatekeeper album for fans of epic heavy metal:

Full Album Stream: Gatekeeper - "East of Sun" | Decibel Magazine

"If you dream of denim, leather and Dungeons & Dragons, you’ve been dreaming of East of Sun, the new album from Canadian heavy metal torchbearers Gatekeeper."

Been waiting for this one!

23. CellarGhosts

Trusted Prestigious

I feel like there's still more intelligence and musicianship going on than anything Five Finger Death Punch have ever touched, haha, but Atreyu...yeah I can kinda hear it. But, full disclosure? I still fucks with some of their tracks haha. I won't even pretend I don't still listen to "Right Side of the Bed" every now and then and get amped. But yeah, I do understand where longtime/hardcore fans would be let down with their new stuff. I guess being a casual listener I don't really have a whole lot invested in them so I don't feel the same sting someone might who's been a fan since Killing With a Smile.

I was gonna throw in there the caveat that Keith Buckley's overall...Keith Buckley-ness definitely helped elevate that record above what it might've been in the hands of a lesser frontman ha. And I do remember hearing something at some point about them working on new material, I just don't think any kind of timetable was set. Would definitely love to hear some new stuff from them at any rate.

swboyd and KidLightning like this.
  24. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Fack me does Baptists go innnn

swboyd and primavera like this.
  25. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

[​IMG]

Richter915 and theagentcoma like this.