Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Metal Thread Genre • Page 106

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

Hitting up this tour on Monday. Every band on that lineup except for False is bonkers...and False isn't bad, they're just a cacophonous wall live.

You'll get the same-length set on this tour as supporting that you'd probably get on a headliner. I've seen Full of Hell 4 or 5 times, and they've never played longer than 25-30 minutes.

2. TheBaroness

a burst and I'm awake now Supporter

Doesn't really fit here but I feel pretty dumb for sleeping on that Elder record

suicidesaints and nl5011 like this.
  3. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

That album is so good

4. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Been still feeling that Power Trip record that came out this year. Perfect mix of hardcore/metal.

Also been on a metal binge as of late. New Tombs is great, checked out some old Oathbreaker material(way more hardcore than Rheia, but still good), and Sumac.

Also I've wanted to check out all the Cave In side projects for a while. Only gotten around to Old Man Gloom. Though Mutoid Man, and Kid Killowat are really cool. I was especially keen to hear KK, cuz I love all the associated acts. Though they're not as heavy as I expected. Still good.

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  5. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Stephen Brodsky and Aaron Turner are two of my favorite artists and you could go for days with each of their discographies and associated acts.

sophos34, coleslawed and Cameron like this.
  6. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Oh yeah. I love Isis, but what else has Turner done besides OMG? Is he also in Sumac?

7. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Yep!

He has a project called Mammifer with his fiancé currently and has been involved in a number of other acts. If you like industrial he did an album under the name Greymachine with one of the guys from Godflesh.

Cameron likes this.
  8. cherrywaves

Trusted

The first two Stephen Brodsky records are highly recommended

Also Perfect Pitch Black reissues are up for preorder at Hydra Head. Comes with a 7" with b-sides. Instant grab

9. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Oh! I forgot to mention that Aaron Turner owns Hydra Head!

10. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

I like Zozobra and Rosetta too

TheBaroness and Nate_Johnson like this.
  11. cherrywaves

Trusted

Doomriders was/is a Cave In side project technically and they're sick

12. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

I love Rosetta. They are like Isis's twin brother. I like Michael Armine's solo record as well.

Your Milkshake likes this.
  13. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

So many great recs

14. flask

Trusted Supporter

Really excited for this and they're FINALLY playing SoCal in August. Been waiting a long time to see them. Gonna bash my skull in that night.

15. TheBaroness

a burst and I'm awake now Supporter

Rosetta have a new album hopefully being released this year and I am stoked. The Galilean Satellites is one of my all time favorite heavy records.

duffe and Nate_Johnson like this.
  16. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

Really? Why's that? I feel like their most recent album has some of the best death vocals I've ever heard.

17. CellarGhosts

Trusted Prestigious

Cattle Decap are one of the best death metal bands going right now. Wouldn't have said that a few years ago but their last three albums have definitely elevated them to that distinction imo.

Richter915 and inspectorkemp like this.
  18. inspectorkemp

a literal succubitch

Completely agreed.

19. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

I think the vocals are something to be desired but the music itself is very impressive.

20. swboyd

Cattle Decapitation are cool, but they're in that tier of bands that I just don't listen to often enough. I've barely listened to them in the last five years, but I'll probably give them a good listen before that tour since I'm not gonna miss Full of Hell or Artificial Brain.

Richter915 and Nate_Johnson like this.
  21. swboyd

Have they formally announced a tour yet and is it just West Coast dates? I know they're also playing Psycho LV so I'm just curious. I missed my chance to see them when they were here in 2015 and that show was with Immortal Bird, Primitive Man, and Weekend Nachos. :(

22. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

You guys are going to think I'm nuts but this band is what I think Anberlin or Acceptance would sound like if they were metal/metalcore, and it's not half bad!

23. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

acacia strain big sleep - Bing video

Loving this new track off the new Acacia Strain album and I have a soft spot for Matt of Kublai Khan. Such a unique vocal style. They definitely went DOOM on this album.

24. flask

Trusted Supporter

As far as I know its just a show in Long Beach the day after Psycho LV. I don't think they're touring.

swboyd likes this.
  25. swboyd

Gahh. Thanks.