Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Menzingers Band • Page 7

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by CoffeeEyes17, Mar 5, 2016.

1. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

Lesson is a fine record but they've done better since. Definitely feels like their INGO, to compare to a similar band.

2. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

If it's their INGO...then I'm in for a hell of a treat

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  3. MFA

See you in hell, or see you when I see you. Prestigious

Lesson is a great record but everything after is better, haha. Saying it's worse than the others is not a bad thing at all considering this band's pedigree tbh. It's just a straight up fun no frills punk record

4. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

What the hell is INGO lol?

Lesson is a very good first record for a band that wasn't around much before it came out. I have no issues jamming it. I have never brought it up much because most fans like talking OTIP, obviously.

5. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

It Never Goes Out, The Hoteliers first (and fantastic) record. I made the comparison to it because they both feel like energetic, "young" punk rock albums but still retain an intelligence and perceptiveness to them that keeps them interesting. Plus The Menzingers and The Hotelier have a somewhat similar sound imo.

Zac Djamoos likes this.
  6. Michael Schmidt

I am not very familiar with that band. I think I heard some stuff of theirs under the Hotel Year name and a few songs off the album with the house on it.

7. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

You should definitely look into them. Best band currently active IMO

8. MFA

See you in hell, or see you when I see you. Prestigious

Yeh check out Hotelier, if you like Chamberlain Waits then you'll like Home IMO

So yeah let's talk CW

BUT WHAT DO I KNOW
    BUT WHAT DO I KNOO-O-OOW
    BUT WHAT DO I KNOW
    EXCEPT OUR BLOOD IS PUMPED FROM STOOOOO-OO-OO-OO-OOO-OONE
    STOOOOOOOOO-OO-OO-OO-OOO-OONE

9. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

I think OTIP is the last album that hit me straight away in such a huge way. I only got into it last July, after seeing it in the AP top albums of the 2000's list. No idea how I missed it the first time around but I checked it out on Apple Music and by the time Good Things kicks in, I was totally sold. Really eagerly awaiting the new album but I think that album will always be special to me.

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  10. Michael Schmidt

Welcome to the party sir!

11. Trotsky

Trusted

Seriously? No talk about "Lookers"?

I was not a big fan of Rented World, but their first single for their new album hits an even deeper nerve than OTIP as far as being nostalgic goes. I actually wonder if they are on to a different genre of being aggressively nostalgic.

Sha la la la
    Jersey girls are always total heartbreakers

12. angel paste

grey hairs, get out of me zoots! Prestigious

lots of talk in the album thread ^

13. Trotsky

Trusted

Sorry, can you direct me?

14. Michael Schmidt

15. Michael Schmidt

Saw these guys opening for Bayside this week, and man are they in good form. Not that they have ever put on a bad performance that I have seen, but there is something going on with these guys in really good way. You can tell they are excited to play shows again and share the new songs. And the couple of new songs they played (Lookers and Thick As Thieves) sound really good. Totally fit within their set.

Talking to one of the guys in the band after the show, apparently they are still figuring out how they want to perform Thieves on the road. I guess during the chorus there are more backing vocals and other things going that give it a "fuller" and "bigger" feel to it. Another thing about the record they shared is that if you like the feel of Lookers than you will like the album. They said they made a decision this time around to let parts of songs breathe more as opposed to stuffing those parts with too much instrumentation.

In one of my comments to the band member, I mentioned how I thought it made total sense that Will Yip was doing their record and that I was excited to hear the finished product. His response made it very clear that they are aware of the message board takes on Will's work. Aside from complimenting Will's work ethic, he said that Will was very good about having cool ideas for where to add harmonies and where to throw in a bridge. I didn't ask specifically, but I get the sense that the bridge on Lookers was Will telling the band they should write a bridge.

All in all it was a good show and a good conversation. I think he said they would be back to the midwest in the spring, so I am looking forward to that.

JRGComedy likes this.
  16. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Seeing these guys for the second time tomorrow in Nottingham. Only seen them at Reading Festival before, and they didn't play Casey or Gates (my favourites) so I'm bouncing off the walls now. Could not be moire excited.

Also, I love Will Yip's production work (mostly, there's the odd album I'm not keen on his work on).

17. Michael Schmidt

18. Michael Schmidt

19. Mister Lyrical

Forging Clarity Supporter

Sometimes I think that The Menzingers are the best band alive.

SamLevi11 likes this.
  20. Michael Schmidt

They are up there for active bands for me personally.

21. PatRFinley

Early Onset Grump LFGM Supporter

Don't mind me, I forgot where the "Follow Thread" button is on mobile so I'm just posting for that.

Did listen to Rented World the other day though. Love that record

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  22. Michael Schmidt

I am ready to see them live again. The Bayside tour was too long ago. I wish I would have grabbed tickets and made the trek to Jersey for their hometown show.

23. Borat 2: Vengeance

The Pitbull of Chorus.fm Prestigious

So I ordered the Casette bundle of the first three records awhile ago - and I saw that they sent me On the Possible Past (the demo tape) instead of On the Impossible Past. Thought it was cool and just figured that was the way it was supposed be. Aparently I'm wrong and it's expensive af?

24. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

So that Menz/Flats tour is happening but in Europe. Gahhhhhhh

25. Michael Schmidt

Anyone else read that screenplay derived from On the Impossible Past?