Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Menzingers Band • Page 29

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by CoffeeEyes17, Mar 5, 2016.

1. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Same ranking as me

recall reality likes this.
  2. i'm inclined to agree with the ranking

recall reality likes this.
  3. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

if you prefer ATP over OTIP i dont think you're nuts but I think my ranking is that ranking but OTIP is 1 and ATP is 2

4. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

I back it but I would put CW or RW for sure.

5. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

ATP and OTIP are basically neck to neck with me. Gun to my head I'd say OTIP is my fav

Chamberlain is definitely my 3rd favorite but I respect that Rented World is the better album

6. Henry

Moderator Moderator

7. AshlandATeam

Trusted

So I discovered the Menzingers three months ago.

I’d always heard of them, but I’d, for one reason or another, never listened to them. Even a single song. But my Apple Music kept suggesting them and I was itching for something new and I played their discography in early July for the first time.

Well. Turns out the Menzingers have always been my favorite band and mistakes were made for years by not listening. But also this: ‘Rented World’ might be a top five album all time for me. It has literally everything - it’s dark and gritty and working class, and it’s filled with heartache and heartbreak and existential questions spurred on by everyday moments. It’s somehow down, while also being hopeful. It’s the sound of being a person in 2019 (even though it was released years ago). It’s their Futures and ‘59 Sound and Pinkerton, in my opinion - it’s an absolute masterpiece.

All their stuff is varying degrees of good (After the Party especially would be most bands’ best album). But holy hell has Rented World hit me in a way that very few records ever have.

8. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Twas my first Menz album and will always have a special place in my heart!

9. sonder

eat my shorts, jabronis

ATP was my #1 album in 2019 according to last.fm lol probably because that is when I really got into them...The Menzingers were also my #1 listened to artist.

.K. and Gnarly Charlie like this.
  10. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

I’d say the Menzos are my personal “Band of the Decade.” Each album they dropped from CW forward wound up being my most-played that year.

So they’ve got that going for them. Which is nice.

11. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Menzingers have put together a great run of music, and I feel like they’ve applied what they learned and added something new with each record. Even though it felt like a long wait for After The Party to come out, they really spoiled fans with a bunch of extra music (covers EP, singles and ATP b-sides). I’m kind of hoping there is still more Hello Exile era music to come.

I’ll leave out my regular buried vocal production complaint on Hello Exile, because I do love the songs.

12. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Tbh I really thought the vocal effect would hinder my enjoyment of the album, but after spending some time with it, I only notice it if I'm like shuffling Menzos songs (which I rarely do)

13. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

The only time I notice the vocal production being REALLY unbearable is if the songs play on my tv.

14. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

The quality of the songs and in succession does help nullify it a bit, but I still think using it as a blanket effect across an album wasn’t required. That’s me though.

15. 333 GANG

ACAB

I’m certainly not crazy about the vocal production, but I don’t pay any attention to it when listening to the record in its entirety.

16. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

I don’t notice anything different with production than past records anymore tbh

17. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I’m not going to pretend to be an expert, but I know when something’s a distraction.

This decision was obviously intentional because Yip didn’t use that effect on ATP. All the instruments shine on HE.

I do hear things or don’t hear things sometimes. There are albums that sometimes feel flat, or instruments or vocals buried. Sometimes effects added that I can really specifically pick out.

18. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

The effect really only bothers me on a shotty speaker system. I could definitely do without it, but it’s not like The Blackest Beautiful or anything. Every time I listen to that album I just get mad.

19. twisterman2006

Trusted Supporter

The way that album sounds should be a crime.

Ben Lee likes this.
  20. :eh: 767FFC69-BFE9-49D0-A6BA-191B6ABF7974.jpeg

AP_Punk, sonder and zigbigwig like this.
  21. zigbigwig

I Miss Jake W Prestigious

22. Who knows! Probably play counts

23. MattNCheeze

Trusted

says WHO

24. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I’ve started to build such a strong emotional connection with Hello Exile. Hasn’t happened to me since Rented World. After The Party is probably their most fun album to jam to, but Hello Exile takes me on a damn journey.

Whether they know it or not, I love how these guys seem to be carrying the torch for a band like Social Distortion. Same goes for Gaslight Anthem (time for a new album)/Brian Fallon.

JaytotheGee, zigbigwig and .K. like this.
  25. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Happy 10th birthday to Chamberlain Waits :heart: