Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Menzingers Band • Page 23

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by CoffeeEyes17, Mar 5, 2016.

1. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Burn After Writing
    Ava House
    My Friend Kyle
    The Talk
    Sentimental Physics

And all the ATP tracks

2. MattNCheeze

Trusted

Lilith Avi.

MexicanGuitars likes this.
  3. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Pumped to see these dudes on Sunday. Anyone else going to the San Diego show?

4. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

Will be at LA

5. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Pontiac for me!

6. Glasses

LA as well!

7. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

anyone been hitting this fall tour they're on and done the VIP package? I just got it for the LA one from a friend who backed out and am so stoked!

8. DannyZach

Trusted

I got VIP package too.Cant wait....also I was checking the set lists and they really opening with After the Party?

AWasteOfATime likes this.
  9. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Noticed that too. They should only ever open with Tellin Lies

10. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

After the Party is a great opener, holy shit I’m pumped for that.

11. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

They do seem to keep changing around the opening song and honestly, Tellin’ Lies is absolutely THE perfect opener to a show.

When I saw them open up with the song it was absolutely crazy seeing everyone just standing waiting to INSTANTLY running up front and going wild. It was such a cool moment.

After the Party is a huge pop live, which I think should be saved towards the end.

Also think In Remission is the perfect show closer.

12. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

I saw them at Pre Fest and Fest and the first day they opened with Lies and closed with Party and then swapped them the next day

13. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

I think they opened with after party on frank turner tour too. wonder what acoustic songs they do and if its requests.

johnnyferris likes this.
  14. Gnarly Charlie

Good guy, but a bad dude

VIP or standard tickets? Hmmmmmm

15. DannyZach

Trusted

Yea I was confused a bit and thought they maybe just put the wrong order since they were closing with Lies haha....I hope they will closing with Party in Boston....Also stoked to see Rodent (my favorite) back there again!...I posted this Alkaline Trio design of tshirt Iam going to make for them in trio thread and I also made this one for Menzingers

Attached Files:

JaytotheGee likes this.
  16. I’ve an extra ticket for LA tonight if someone would like to come with and cover a couple drinks. Hit me up!

17. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

I like that they aren't locked into certain songs at certain places in the set. The one exception I'll make to that statement is Good Things being followed by Burn After Writing. I like those being joined at the hip. I'm like that they tried splitting them and it was cool to see, but I'm glad they are together again.

18. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

I’m still team close with In Remission. I would also accept Obituaries though

19. MatthewDuke

Regular Supporter

For those that are interested, I did VIP for the show in Nashville.

Tom and Greg usually have two songs that they want to play and then they let the VIPs pick the other 4.

They picked Midwestern States and Ava House, and we all picked Casey, Burn After Writing, Where Your Heartache Exists, and Gates. It was a really cool experience.

20. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

I wish they played more songs that weren’t in the set during VIP, almost all of the songs they played in Austin were played later on. They did play an alternate version of deep sleep that was cool.

Re: ATP I think it’s a great opener. Tellin lies is too but it also works well to close out the main set. This was the first time I saw them close with Casey and I really enjoyed that, but I think In Remission works a little better.

All in all it was a fun show but it wasn’t my favorite Menzingers tour for sure.

Collins likes this.
  21. Michael Schmidt

Obviously, folks can go to setlist.fm and see what bands are playing, but I like the idea that if you want to go into a Menz show clean, you don’t know what you’ll get beyond some general songs. The placement of those songs and a few surprises keep their shows interesting, especially as we close out the ATP era. I’m just not big into it when bands start locking songs in at places. I would prefer the band to have the autonomy to feel out what they want to play if possible.

David Parke likes this.
  22. I went last night with no clue what to expect as I only really know ATP and I’d never seen them before. Such a great show and holy shit does the TMP guitarist rip. Wow. They were a treat as well.

23. Michael Schmidt

Glad you enjoyed your first show of theirs! It's a good time to be new to their live show as ATP gets a lot of cuts and they really have them down in terms of how they want to perform them. However, hearing their old songs live as your first experience to them is a good introduction to their other work imo. Something about being around a crowd of people popping off singing and the band having fun playing them adds an extra layer to it that's hard to have when you have headphones on. I know some people that were so so on them back when Chamberlain and OTIP dropped, but seeing them live converted them over. With that said, I would fully recommend going backwards in the catalog at some point. I know that recommendation gets tossed around a lot, but the Menz are working on one of the better catalogs from a more recent band.

24. No doubt. Even one ATP song had a singalong part that never resonated with me before as a singalong part. I forget which track but it was huge in the room. A latter half album track I think as I know the front half pretty well.