Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Menzingers Record New Album With Will Yip

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 12, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The Menzingers recorded their new album with Will Yip. It will be titled After the Party.

I’ve been a fan of this band for years and I’m grateful and stoked to finally be able to make a record with them. We just spent the last 5 weeks building what I confidently believe is the best record of the bands career. I couldn’t be more stoked on these songs. This is THE record for us and I’m honored to have been a part of it. The guys worked incredibly hard killed it and were so easy to work and collaborate with from the beginning. Artists like this is why I do this. They’re my brothers forever.

2. That's awesome. I love pretty much everything Will Yip has produced. And The Menzingers are awesome, so this is going to be great.

3. This is like finding out you're about to have pizza but that it's some fake whole wheat gluten free tasteless crust. Excited for new Menzingers, would rather have home demos than Will Yip sucking the life out of yet another album.

4. don't fret

uggghhhhhhhhhhh

5. Brandon Allin

Finest Quality Crappy Punk Rock Since '92 Prestigious

Excited for the songs, but Yip's production stinks.

6. stuckinvhs

Social Justice Wizard Prestigious

2016 will not stop.

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  7. skurt

Sleekest of beaks. So Good.

Need Now.

8. btr

Trusted Supporter

Bands are aware that there are other producers out there, right?

9. Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

I personally don't have a problem with any of the records he has produced that I've been into(Balance and Composure. Citizen). We'll see if there is a jarring difference in how this one sounds compared to the other Menzinger records.. Excited for sure no matter.

CMilliken and Christian Romero like this.
  10. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

I obviously agree. Interesting though that a man from California/Portland would make an argument about tasteless pizza though. Homie you're way outside the pizza belt! http://gawker.com/the-pizza-belt-the-most-important-pizza-theory-youll-r-743629037

CMilliken likes this.
  11. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

Fucking hate that album title but fucking love the Menzingers. Pretty impartial on Yip's production but I really don't notice unless it's really good production or really bad.

12. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

Cautiously excited b/c the 'Zingers have released two of my favorite albums from the last decade (OTIP is an all-timer though).

Jason Tate likes this.
  13. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

PNW has plenty of great pizza options, he's crazy

TJ Wells and Jason Tate like this.
  14. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

I was only kidding. Also I say homie a lot. I don't exactly know why.

I'm not up to date. Is Gawker bad?

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  15. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

Crazy and spoiled by NJ/NYC pizza. I'm sure pizza other places is dope. Just definitely not whole wheat gluten free. That's the Devil's pizza. Jason is right to dislike that.

smoke4thecaper likes this.
  16. SayHello

Regular

Hopefully it's better than Rented World, which I thought was pretty terrible. Still revisit OTIP very often though. It's a perfect summer album. With that being said, I can't see this being much better than Rented World with Yip producing. He sucks. Everything he does sounds flat and he has like 3 good albums to his name, everything else is horrid.

17. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

That title is about as Menzingery as it gets. Can't wait for new tunes.

Zac Djamoos and Chase Tremaine like this.
  18. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

I'm pretty excited about this. Not so much for the Will Yip bit, but that's mostly because I'm worried about a drastic shift in style.

I'm all for evolution of sound, but at this point, the world needs another "slow- to mid-tempo band with chunky guitars that is vaguely compared to bands from the 90s in the press but they never really cite any specific examples but it makes sense because guitars and emotive lyrics and flannel" like it needs a punch to the head.

Jake Z likes this.
  19. devenstonow

Noobie

MAYBE they'll sound good with Yip's shittiness. Probably not though. IMO it's only good on bands that like, start out with him. And he produced the latest Tigers Jaw, right? Works for that.

But he also ruined the new Starting Line, Circa, and (partially) Say Anything

20. johnnyutes

Vaya con Dios Supporter

i like The Menzingers and i like Will Yip. sounds grand to me.

Christian Romero likes this.
  21. GEM37

She haunts the roads

Did I miss a memo where we all decided Will Yip was a bad guy or something?

Christian Romero likes this.
  22. Everyone says he's a great guy, no one said anything about him as a person.

23. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Is this the only place Will Yip is considered bad? I see so much criticism about him on this website but so many bands seem to be working with him and I'm not sure why. I'd find it especially baffling if he was as hated everywhere else on the internet as he is on this site but I don't really go anywhere else.

24. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

as i said in the other thread, bands love him. everyone who works with him loves him.
    the records just don't sound great.