Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Menzingers - After the Party (February 3, 2017) Album • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cwhit, May 12, 2016.

1. Horrorca

Trusted

for some reason I really want to like them, so I always check out their new shit - that's what brought me here

plus my post was constructive to what was being discussed... we're talking Yip too

but thanks, policeman - I will not stray further away from the thread topic

Deathco_019, CoffeeEyes17 and FTank like this.
  2. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Don't really see a problem with the post tbh. It's not like he popped in just to say he doesn't like the band, he contextualized it within his other comments on Yip

3. WetwithSharp

and a little jingle...

No, no haha. Sorry, I came across the wrong way. I just thought it was a weird thing to say, given the thread we're in haha. All good :)

4. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Can we mention the awful title?

cubsml34 and FTank like this.
  5. softanimal

It's my mum's dodge caravan

Yep, reminds me of The Blackout who did one called Start the Party or something, legitimately one of the worst albums I've ever heard.

6. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

how about you actually find out the themes of the album and why they chose the title, or hear a song before you judge?

7. Makes me think of the good old war song.

8. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

The title is totally fine/innocuous

9. softanimal

Of course not, the fact it has similarities to an album I hate automatically means it's definitely going to be an awful album

10. cwhit

it wasn't mostly you i was going at, the fact that *anyone* can judge an album title (or art, but that's a whole different story) fairly without knowing the record as a whole is a little wacky

11. softanimal

Yeah exactly, was more a throwaway remark than anything tbh. Same thing when people were decrying the new Hotelier album because of the art on that, pretty sure any band mildly concerned with the quality of what they produce puts significant thought and reasoning into the art/title/tracklisting/whatever

12. cwhit

i also consider art/title to be more important to the personal meaning of the artists rather than what a listener takes from it...most bands wouldn't put anything out that they don't find incredibly significant and important to the art

13. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

last record was pretty forgettable, but otip is still good so let's see how this goes

FTank and RobbieBerns like this.
  14. softanimal

yep, you can't really view art/title as individual, separate entities to the music as it's all part of the same cohesive work of art, so they have to be significant to it. and i don't think any band writes any music, let alone album art without having it predominantly focused on their own personal meaning. if fans can extrapolate their own understanding from an album, great, but i don't think any bands write with the intention of it having any other implicit meaning that isn't their own

15. Signifire

Headphones blaring three stacks Prestigious

"I'm at the party in a cloud of nicotine, exhaled by drunk twenty-somethings."

16. timcsheehan

Regular

do people not like the way PBTT's Keep You sounds? I didn't know that was a thing. i LOVE the way it sounds.

collin512 likes this.
  17. Lindsay M

drunk on the radio waves

Pumped for new Menzingers no matter what the title is or who the producer is, but also, doesn't it say that Yip has produced their 4 previous albums too? If so, I didn't notice anything unfavorable about the production on those, so I can only assume this record will sound fine.

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  18. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Not all of yip's production is bad....Polar Bear Club's Death Chorus is pretty great.

19. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

Agreed. Thought that album sounded great..same with La Dispute's. :Shrug:

Excited for this, been listening to these guys a ton lately. So good. This will be a great year for music.

20. Built to Fail

You and I are panoramic

Will Yip produced two of my favourite records of the past few years. The Things We Think We're Missing and Keep You. This record will be great.

21. cwhit

Jesse Cannon did their first, Matt Allison did the middle two, Jonathan Low did the last one

22. Lindsay M

drunk on the radio waves

Thanks for the info. What's with this quote, then? "Today we finished tracking After the Party, our fifth album with Will Yip..."

23. cwhit

this is why commas are important
    after the party, our fifth album, with will yip...

softanimal likes this.
  24. softanimal

Missing a comma after album

25. cwhit

this is exactly why (though i know it's not this situation) the oxford comma is important, makes our already stupid language a little less ambiguous

Slangster, RobbieBerns and FTank like this.