Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Menzingers - After the Party (February 3, 2017) Album • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cwhit, May 12, 2016.

1. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I don't think the production on Pale Horses is too shabby at all.

Letlive's The Blackest Beautiful is the first one that comes to mind. I could also mention records like Transit's Young New England and Knuckle Puck's Copacetic, both of which have truly awful production, but I don't like those records very much to begin with.

KennedyBN likes this.
  2. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

True, The Blackest Beautiful is actually an even better example then Penny Black.

3. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Ugh, definitely. The songs are so great, but it's painful to listen to.

KennedyBN likes this.
  4. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Hope to hear something before the Bayside your/hope they play something new on the Bayside tour

5. nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

Elway's last record has such bad production that I listened it to three times and never listened again even tho I think the songs are good

troyplaysbass and Jason Tate like this.
  6. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

Tbh, my opinion on all of this is gimme new 'zingers!

Yip is hit or miss for me. It's a strange relationship b/c he works w/ mostly kick ass bands.

Jason Tate likes this.
  7. cherrywaves

Trusted

Somos - Temple of Plenty
    Basement - I Wish I Could Stay Here

8. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Ayyyy

9. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

OTIP is one of my favorite albums and Rented World was awesome as well. A new album is long overdue from these guys!

10. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

All 4 of their records and the EP are very dear to me

11. softanimal

It's my mum's dodge caravan

Where to start with this band? Have heard great things and probably a good time to get on the hype train.

12. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Chaimberlain Waits then On the Impossible Past. All of them are good, though

CoffeeEyes17 and softanimal like this.
  13. Brandon Allin

Finest Quality Crappy Punk Rock Since '92 Prestigious

I think their latest, Rented World, is their most accessible. I would start there, and if you like what you hear, move on to On The Impossible Past.

14. HueyLewis

Regular

I haven't listened to most of Yip's work, but looking at his resume, I did enjoy Braid's "No Coast." I also enjoyed None More Black's "Icons." Although, "Icons" suffered from being too loud like most records these days. Does he mix and master his work as well?

15. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

I am confused. The same discussion is happening in three different threads, but go Menzingers! Can't wait for new music, regardless of what I think of the producer.

Brandon Allin and ImAMetaphor like this.
  16. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I'd start with On the Impossible Past, personally. That's what I did and it's still the only album of theirs I think is great.

SpyKi likes this.
  17. softanimal

Thanks, listened to OTIP and thought it was really good! Can't believe I missed it.

18. Brandon Allin

Finest Quality Crappy Punk Rock Since '92 Prestigious

I like Rented World and Chamberlain Waits a lot, but OTIP is several steps ahead of both for me. Fantastic record.

cubsml34, JBoch and Michael Schmidt like this.
  19. softanimal

I'm actually a massive fan of Captain, We're Sinking and The Future Is Cancelled so surprised I didn't try them earlier as are the singers of both bands brothers or something? Saw they did some sort of joint gig in Camden a while ago but wasn't really into them at that point.

20. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

They are brothers

21. softanimal

Ah okay thought I saw they had the same surname or something on the flyer! Kind of interesting as normally siblings aren't always in separate bands, especially of similar genres

22. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

New Menz is gonna be perfect for the fall. Yip's records don't seem to bother me as much as it does for some of you.

23. TheBaroness

a burst and I'm awake now Supporter

Will Yip is great imo. To my ear his stuff has a bit more of an 'organic' sound, almost as if he was recording to analogue tape (I don't think he does btw). He doesn't artificially boost volume or add in unnecessary and artificial layers of sheen. The individual instruments shine through - I particularly love the way his drum tracks and bass sound, very distinct and warm (see: Peripheral Vision). Not to mention most bands end up making their best records with him.

Anyway, I have high hopes for this album.

24. Horrorca

Trusted

Keep You, the Turnover record and Rooms of the House sound good to me - a bit muddied, but ok

I believe he is notorious for his craft (songs with a shitload of layers) and bands seem to like working with him... not the best, not the worst choice...

don't give an F about Menzingers tho

25. WetwithSharp

and a little jingle...

Like. *sigh*. Why would you come into a band's album thread and just say that? Like why are you in the thread, I guess is the real question.

But regardless, thanks for your other thoughts on Yip's production :). I'm cautiously optimistic about this combo haha.