Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Menzingers - After the Party (February 3, 2017) Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cwhit, May 12, 2016.

1. jols

Trusted Prestigious

yeah the bands who work with him always go out of their way to give praise.

2. I'd rather bands hate their producer and the album sound phenomenal. I'm selfish. (But I also love so many albums that bands hated with a passion who they worked with and they got pushed to crazy new heights. It helps that they don't sound like they were recorded and somehow mixed in an underground garage though, which I like best.)

3. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

Yeah I've never really cared one way or another about Yip's production. I don't think he's particularly great or terrible. He's worked on some records I really love and always seems to get the best out of bands, so I have no qualms. Bands must keep coming back to him for a reason. The nearly unanimous disdain for his work has never really made sense to me, but i guess I just don't care about production as much as most people. Which is fine, everyone is entitled to like him or dislike him, I just can't imagine my hype for this album being stunted by the choice of producer.

Anyway, yeah, this is going to rule.

Contender and cherrywaves like this.
  4. jols

Trusted Prestigious

haha i know. just wanted to reinforce that for those who are confused by the amount of bands continuing to work with Yip. everyone has different priorities.

5. Jason Tate May 12, 2016
    (Last edited: May 12, 2016)
    "Make good sounding album" should be one. Hahahahha. I'm bummed and being snarky. I used to think his stuff was super hollow and lifeless, but the past few albums he's done are borderline unlistenable with headphones. That Starting Line EP was the first time I started really seeing why so many people dislike his work, because it's so comparable to their past material and Benson, Trombino, and even Heir put together such a better sound. Now I can't unhear it.

SayHello and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  6. DeviantRogue

Take arms, it'll all blow over Prestigious

Yay new menzingers, meh to Will Yip

7. Brandon Allin

Finest Quality Crappy Punk Rock Since '92 Prestigious

I liked Yip's work on the last Hostage Calm record, but most of his stuff sounds so lifeless. Not a fan.

johnnyferris likes this.
  8. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

That TSL EP is another great example of just how empty his production sounds. Stack that up against BOATS and it's no contest which has the better production

9. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

Too bad he's not an asshole, I guess. Haha. I'm totally with Jason on this one.

10. nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

maybe he's a good producer in terms of helping bands arrange / shape their songs and just bad at engineering? idk

11. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

So I don't mind his production on about three records (Pale Horses, Keep You, Peripheral Vision), other records of his he has worked on I enjoy but have complaints about the production. Really hope this isn't muddied to hell.

12. Deathco_019

Drummer

Also gonna chime in with my indifference towards Yip. I'm really glad that bands love working with him and I think that's really important in the recording process. Jason brings up a very valid point though of working with someone who's not super nice and really pushes you. Yip's sound sucks though. He's worked on some great albums: Pianos Become The Teeth's Keep You, Circa Survive's Descensus, mewithoutYou's Pale Horses, La Dispute's Rooms Of The House, but I feel like those album's get benefitted by the atmospheric songwriting from those bands than the albums' production work.

With headphones or really nice speakers, you could throw on a song from Circa's On Letting Go or Blue Sky Noise and then throw one on from Descensus and immediately hear how hollow and lifeless it sounds. Same with mewithoutYou. Listening to Catch For Us The Foxes or Brother, Sister and then putting on Pale Horses is really jarring.

Looking forward to this album, but I can't help but feel worried.

13. devenstonow

Noobie

Agreed. TSL and Say Anything really showed what it is that sounds bad about his production. I think it's more easily seen because these bands have huge discographies prior to him, with top-notch production.

Jason Tate likes this.
  14. CheapPop

Regular

I thought the last Turnover record sounded pretty damn good. For me, Yip is very hit or miss. Some bands sort of fit his sounds, and others don't. And the ones that don't really miss the mark.

Either way, New Menzingers is always a good thing.

collin512 likes this.
  15. I'm stoked even though I hate yip

16. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Said this in the news post already, but there are some Yip records I like a lot. Off the top of my head, Peripheral Vision and Rooms of the House are top notch. The rest though....ehhhhh. Still, I have faith in these guys so I'm excited for this. Interesting album title.

17. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

Do you like the records, or the way they sound? I think a lot of people like the records, but the production leaves a lot to be desired

18. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I actually like the way both of them sound. I like Keep You as well, but don't love the production.

19. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

Hell yes

20. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Looking through his full discography (right word?), there are actually a fair number of records I like, but that generally don't have good production IMO.

21. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Still The Menzingers. Still going to be great. When a band is on the kind of creative roll they've been on, it'll take a lot to slow the momentum. Also have a feeling a lot of people will be going into this album with some pre-listen biases that will make them predisposed to disliking it. It'll be interesting to see the reaction when it actually comes out.

22. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

there has only been one album in my life where the production has made it unlistenable for me, and thats Further Seems Forever's - Penny Black.
    Plenty of times where i wish production on albums was a little better, but usually doesnt stop me from listening and enjoying the album. i mean, obviously the ideal is a great album with great production. but that goes without say.

teebs41 and ImAMetaphor like this.
  23. clockwise

GREEN DUDES BEST GREEN DAY PODCAST Prestigious

I'm sure I've listened to other records he's produced but the last Hostage Calm is the only I can think of. And that's a great fucking record.

Rented World was so so good, syked for this.

24. Kennedy May 12, 2016
    (Last edited: May 12, 2016)
    Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

out of curiosity: are there albums that you guys love musically, but dont (or cant stand to) listen to because of poor production? because i know people have mentioned albums like Keep You, and Pale Horses... but does the poor production actually play heavy effect in frequency of return to the record?

like for me, yeah, "Keep You" could have better production... but thats a fantastic record, and i can totally look past whatever weakness enter because of production. at this point - that wouldnt even cross my mind while listening to that record. i mentioned in my post above that Penny Black's production made it unlistenable for me, but it was also very mediocre in terms of music. so that + the production didnt give me much reason to go back.

Zac Djamoos likes this.
  25. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

I'm a plebe. Production doesn't factor much in for my enjoyment levels, not yet, at least. Its hardly something I can frequently determine as 'good' or 'bad' yet. I notice things more and more, now living with two people who are professional-level producers/engineers, so I'm maybe headed towards a pickier view, but as of yet, it's not an Element that will make me turn off a record or even like it less.