Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Menzingers – After the Party • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Feb 3, 2017.

1. parkerxcore

Somebody's gonna miss us Supporter

Someone missed their yoga class this morning.

FTank likes this.
  2. TheoW593

Regular

omg a different opinion

3. bloodinthesand

Regular

SLOW DOWN

4. MikeC18

I absolutely love this album. I've had it on repeat since Monday. "Lookers" and "Your Wild Years" are two of the best songs this band has ever made.

5. bmir14

Trusted Supporter

It didn't catch my eye because it was different, it caught my eye because it was senseless

FTank likes this.
  6. Chcurry182

Trusted Supporter

Love this album. This is a serious contender for my AOTY but the beginning of Thick as Thieves reminds me of I Believe In a Thing Called Love by The Darkness haha

7. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

I'm very much enjoying this.

Maybe it will make me appreciate their older stuff better.

8. I like OTIP and Rented World about twice as much as I like this record, but I'm not going to complain about new Menzingers music. Tellin' Lies, Lookers, and After the Party are great tracks but a lot of the rest just don't hit as hard as tracks on their last two did. Maybe digging into the lyrics more will make up for my lack of interest in the melodies/instrumentation.

9. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Will Yip produced a fantastic sounding record with wonderful performances.

And then he put terrible, terrible fadeouts in it.

Only negative I see, though.

10. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

this band hasn't clicked for me like it has for most but the second verse of bad catholics is my favorite music moment of the year so far

FTank and Bryan Diem like this.
  11. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Replace Bad Catholics with In Remission and that's how I felt in 2014. Then I heard Rodent and it was all over.

js977 likes this.
  12. y2jayjk

Trusted Prestigious

On my third or fourth listen it's starting to make me giddy. When each song starts I'm like "oh this is a good one too"

13. MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

Listened to this at work a couple of times yesterday. This one has landed on its feet much quicker than OTIP and Rented World did (I really like both of those now). I think drip feeding four tracks off it has made it quite easy to slip into. That and I don't really think there are any songs I don't enjoy on it.

14. Jack Wilmott

Self-described freestyle wizard poet.

I agree. I think its the cheesy lead in the opener that puts me off.

Lyrically this album will resonate a hell of a lot with aging punks.

Chris Prindle likes this.
  15. JimmyIymmiJ

Music, a steady riot in my soul. Prestigious

I actually like the fade out on House on Fire for some reason, but the same thing on After the Party makes me sad. Such an epic song, but it goes out with a fizzle.

16. Bryan Diem

Trusted

I think both of them had a epic feeling which is why sudden fades are unacceptable, they never got a chance to breathe. I think Pecan Tree by Deafheaven is the only fadeout that's ever worked ever.

JimmyIymmiJ likes this.
  17. y2jayjk

Trusted Prestigious

I forget that bands still do fade outs. Usually it either goes into the next song or it has an absolute end.

18. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Menzi's are kinda a throwback band, definitely on this album, so I guess it could be aesthetically driven? Was still terrible on this album but maybe that's why.

19. bptky

check out Musica - Akron's best live music venue

This album gets me.

20. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Goes without saying this is AOTY so far. Might be my favorite Menzingers record? I dunno.

21. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

Really enjoy this album, and the theme is pretty harsh for me too hah.