Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Math Rock Thread Genre

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Cody, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

Oh, boy, I wonder if I should even do this since most bands that have acquired the descriptor of math rock hate that fact. I've just had a day full of this style in the background and wanted to talk to people about it. Ran through a ton of Don Caballero, and my god, Damon Che is a fucking monster.

I've come to terms with the fact that if someone tells me a band is really good at 'stopping and starting on a dime,' that I will probably love them.

Also, I don't really know what to put in a first post here. Like, a big 'ol list of bands or something?

Also also, I'm really excited for Disappointment Island.

Also also finally also, this song rocks:

popdisaster00 and topshelfsquad like this.
  2. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

topshelfsquad and Cody like this.
  3. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

4. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

5. Cody

Maybe a round-up of essential bands/albums I can throw in the first post?

Dirty Sanchez and ChrisCantWrite like this.
  6. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

AndrewSoup and Dirty Sanchez like this.
  7. Cody

Anybody else a drums-first listener when it comes to this genre? I feel like the drummer is seriously the linchpin in these sorts of bands more often than not.

chewbacca110 likes this.
  8. TheBaroness

a burst and I'm awake now Supporter

Subbing

9. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

Don't really know anything about this genre. Give me an essential album to listen to.

10. Horrorca Jun 14, 2016
    (Last edited: Jun 14, 2016)
    Horrorca

Trusted

here are some favs:

insanity

before ZH decided to destroy hip hop with Death Grips, ZH was destroying r&r with HELLA

(I think this is the only HELLA album with vocals - if they turn you off (many were turned off) just try Hold Your Horse Is - me, I love them vocals)

and Tera Melos are just real cool

does Battles count?

Declination and topshelfsquad like this.
  11. Horrorca

Trusted

12. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

13. TerrancePryor

https://mp3sandnpcs.com/ Prestigious

tricot

chewbacca110, h8bit and topshelfsquad like this.
  14. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

has no one posted TTNG yet? new record should be great.

absolutely listen to vasudeva and gulfer, i love both those bands and those people.

this band blows me away every time i listen to them. it's like jazzy mathy post-rock

i have a bunch more i can get later. my friend had a radio show called "lets learn calculus" so he and i spent a lot of time talking about this sort of stuff, haha

15. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Subbing

16. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

so CHON have to be my favourite "math rock" band. Just an unbelievably talented group of people.

Im interested in going through this thread, cause I feel I listen to a lot of bands that pull influences from the math-rock scene.

chewbacca110 and AndrewSoup like this.
  17. AndrewSoup

It's A Secret To Everyone Prestigious

how exactly do you describe or define "math rock"
    that might be a good thing to put in the header/first post!

coleslawed likes this.
  18. Cody Jun 25, 2016
    (Last edited: Jun 25, 2016)
    Cody

I'll put together a post right now, but here's a googled definition:

Math rock is a rhythmically complex, guitar-based style of experimental rock. It is characterized by complex, atypical rhythmic structures (including irregular stopping and starting), angular melodies, and dissonant chords.

Yeah, basically, it's a lot of technical prowess, quick melodic changes, dissonance, stream of consciousness feel (though it's usually very meticulously written), polyrhythms, time signature changes, very interesting genre to listen to, my personal favorite. Bands like TTNG, Hella, Giraffes? Giraffes!, Tera Melos, Don Caballero, those are some of the more well-known ones probably. It's all worth checking out.

AndrewSoup likes this.
  19. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

Agent Fresco is probably my favorite band that falls into this category (I think they do, anyways). Not super well versed in math rock so I'm looking forward to subbing and finding more!

20. AndrewSoup

It's A Secret To Everyone Prestigious

band that probably introduced me to the term math rock is Tiny Moving Parts (though the new LP doesn't feel quite as "mathy" as the first two)

21. topshelfsquad

kevin duquette

I love Chicago's take on Math Rock over the years.

instrumental, noodly as hell, bright tones, high energy, crazy song structures, huge riffs and big catchy choruses

Party Mathematics EP, by noumenon
    usually instrumental, noumenon were just bonkers.

Matt's project pre-T/T/T. Crazy guitar.

EP, by Slow Mass
    As far as I'm concerned, this is a super group: Both Josh's (Former Thieves / IIOI), and Dave Collis (My Dad)

Sleep Talk, by Victor Villarreal (also listen to Noyes)
    Actually, start here. You need this first before you can go anywhere else.

Don Caballero, Braid, Their / They're / There, The One Up Downstairs, Colossal, CSTVT, Owls, Lifted Bells, even American Football.

22. Cody

That fucking first T/T/T EP is goddamned masterful. "Concession Speech Writer" is a perfect song.

23. This thread has me very interested in this genre. Gotta check out these bands.

24. Horrorca

Trusted

why did this thread die? give us more math!

25. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

This and grindcore have to be my favorite genres right now. Came in specifically just to post these guys. Happy to see that someone else beat me to the punch.