Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Maine Band • Page 26

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Slangster, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

dey both gr8 but LLL is a lil btr

Matt504, smowashere and meggers like this.
  2. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

LLL has vastly better songwriting, production, and vocal performances

3. Matt504

Trusted Prestigious

Also I don’t know why so many people don’t like FH. It’s a moody album, John was not in the best place when they made that album. I love it for what it is...

4. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

Curious to know more?

5. felipecardel

formless in the night Prestigious

FH is really inconsistent and not nearly as moody as Pioneer imo

6. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I would say Pioneer is easily the dullest album they’ve ever written.

7. Oh yeah, for sure. But I think preferring one over the other is sort of a different ballpark than to say one is great and the other is actually bad lol. LLL may be better but it’s really not like a night and day difference or anything. Opinions, I guess!

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  8. Matt504

Trusted Prestigious

He was dabbling to much with drinking/drugs, depression set in, you can really hear it in the tone of the album. I talk with him almost every time they come through NOLA. I’m good buds with Pete, the long time merch guy that use to tour with them.

9. Mr. Serotonin

I love Pioneer so much. Felt like a classic rock record in an odd way.

meggers, lostawholeyear and Matt504 like this.
  10. felipecardel Aug 1, 2018
    (Last edited: Aug 1, 2018)
    felipecardel

formless in the night Prestigious

it's their most passionate and personal album for me. stuff like "Identify" and "Some Days" has John screaming in a way he hasn't done before or since then. then there's "Waiting For My Sun to Shine", where depression has him barely above a whisper. backing vocals feel very heartfelt as well.

there's no "Bad Behavior" or "Mars" or "Sad Songs", and though it's not as happy-go-lucky as those, "Thinking of You" feels very out of place because of the overall somber mood. album is basically an hour of being miserable and longing for a person or a moment in time.

meggers and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  11. Imo Pioneer kinda just felt like the band throwing stuff at a wall to see if any of it stuck, half heartedly committing to multiple corners in the pop/rock genre. It’s kinda like “the most Maine for your buck” in a way cause you get to hear their take on a lot of different influences and there’s essentially something for everybody, but I think they’re at their best when making more cohesive records. Brings out stronger hooks, more interesting song structures, etc.

12. Mr. Serotonin Aug 1, 2018
    (Last edited: Aug 1, 2018)
    Mr. Serotonin

I definitely think it was cohesive enough. It’s like a classic rock, sometimes almost southern rock record with pop influences. I dunno, I think it’s great and a pivotal point in their career when they experimented a bit, label-less (I think?)

13. Pivotal for sure! There are a couple of songs I do like on it and I definitely appreciate it for being the first point in their career that they were willing to deviate from the expected trajectory. And yeah they were basically label-less for it, it was released on their own label

14. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

Patterns in Traffic likes this.
  15. jordanjohnson09

Regular

the same night as tds/ ten in baltimore. welp.

16. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

Bring it to Boston broooo

17. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

Video for "Lonely" is great

18. JamesMichael Aug 6, 2018
    (Last edited: Aug 6, 2018)
    JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

Damn I’m gutted the LLL era is over but at the same time I’m excited for more music.

earthlight likes this.
  19. Mr. Serotonin

I'm fine with it cause the next album will come and i'll love that. And if I ever wanna listen to LLL it'll be there.

Fuck it, I'ma listen to LLL right now.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  20. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

I like the way you think

21. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

My very first listen to LLL came on an airplane. I downloaded the album to my phone and listened once we were in air and the announcements/etc were over so there were no distractions.

Let me tell you. It was an experience.

JamesMichael and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  22. Mister Lyrical

Forging Clarity Supporter

I decided today that I think The Maine is the best band to come out of neon. Mayday Parade is probably second with All Time Low in third. It's odd because 2008 me would have probably put them in the reverse order.

23. lostawholeyear

Regular Prestigious

^^^

i also love the fact that the biggest "scandal" of their career was getting banned from twitter for setting the band's age of 11

jess, earthlight and meggers like this.
  24. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

Can someone brief me on what the neon era means thanks y’all

25. Mister Lyrical

Forging Clarity Supporter

The post-Fall Out Boy pop punk/pop rock bands that sprung up like these guys, Mayday, All Time Low, Boys Like Girls, Forever The Sickest Kids, We The Kings, etc. Basically any band produced by Matt Squire or Zack Odom/Kenneth Mount from 2007 to 2010. If you were playing pop punk in that time you were most likely either a neon band or easy-core (Four Year Strong/Set Your Goals).