Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Maine - You Are Ok (March 29, 2019) Album • Page 50

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by ArmsLikeTeeth, Jan 15, 2019.

1. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

LLL
    Pioneer
    American Candy
    You are OK
    Forever Halloween
    Black and White
    Can’t Stop, Won’t Stop

2. See, in my eyes, those albums were where they finally shed this idea that they needed to be a certain kind of band to be popular. I really felt that starting with Pioneer, the band started writing way more for themselves and the songwriting gained a depth that it didn't have before then. I love AC and LLL for reimagining the hookier writing from their earlier work, but FH and Pioneer will always be just that huge turning point in the band for me. I also think those records are still massively catchy, just in more interesting ways. Plus, what they did give up in hooks they more than made up for with new and interesting ideas, especially on FH (Deluxe). B&W and CSWS are fun on the surface but I never feel there's much to dig into underneath.

3. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

YAOK
    LLL
    B&W
    P
    AC
    CSWS
    FH

4. I love this. It's also interesting because to me, this shift into being the band they wanted vs. the band they were expected to be started with B&W. That was where I started taking them seriously. I definitely see what you're saying here though. I gotta give FH and Pioneer another chance.

Anthony_ and BigMouth like this.
  5. emojedi

Trusted

LLL
    AC
    P
    CSWS
    B&W
    YAOK
    FH

6. smowashere

Trusted Supporter

LLL
    YAO
    CSWS
    AC
    B&W
    Pioneer
    FH

7. Joshua

Regular

LLL
    AC
    YAO
    Pioneer
    FH
    CSWS
    B&W

8. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

LLL
    AC/CSWS
    YAOK
    B/W
    Pioneer/FH

peripheralvision and smowashere like this.
  9. Thanks! B&W was definitely the beginning but for me, everything they tried there was hampered by some bad habits from the earlier era (it's actually my least favorite record from them because of how transitional it is). Pioneer feels like the realization of the ideas that started on B&W, while FH (Deluxe) takes it even further, into weird and new territory.

Anna Acosta likes this.
  10. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

You Are OK
    American Candy
    LLL
    Pioneer
    Can't Stop, Won't Stop
    Forever Halloween
    Black and White

11. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

LLL
    You are OK
    American Candy
    Cant Stop Wont Stop
    Pioneer
    Black and White
    FH

12. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I definitely agree with B&W feeling like a transition into a different kind of sound for them, but one they hesitated to commit to fully until Pioneer. Pioneer is a very special album in my eyes

BigMouth and JBoch like this.
  13. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Pioneer/Lovely Little Lonely
    You Are Ok
    Forever Halloween
    American Candy
    Can't Stop, Won't Stop
    Black & White

I can't pick between those top two

14. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Seriously, I'm sad to see it.

BigMouth likes this.
  15. American Candy is no holds barred my favorite but I also don't think it's their best album, if that makes sense. (I personally think that's LLL - again, acknowledging that "best" is super subjective.)

I just... really bonded with AC. Right place right time in my life.

And as I said, I never really gave Pioneer or FH a chance and I really couldn't tell you why. I fell off on this band during those years I think? And when AC came out I just never went back to explore. Definitely want to give those records a shot though and it's kinda weird that I've never felt compelled to considering how much I love this band.

16. It's kinda funny, this whole conversation is making me realize how many people really noticed that they were becoming a band to watch around the AC/LLL era. I had that moment with Pioneer, so maybe that's it? I thought more people took notice of that record at the time but maybe that's not the case.

Not to play down thoughtful opinions like Craig's, I just hadn't thought of people not really jumping back on until AC or LLL.

17. The funny part is, I don't even recall thinking they were a band to watch or anything like that at that point. It's more like I straight up didn't notice FH or Pioneer came out and when I put on AC finally I was stunned it was the same band with the swoop bangs from CSWS. Just kinda checked out for awhile there... Good times. I'm glad I came back around for obvious reasons.

BigMouth likes this.
  18. Anthony_

those swoop bangs were killer tho

BigMouth and Contender like this.
  19. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I was never a fan of The Maine until I heard Pioneer and was blown away. I was a big fan during that era and FH era but my love for the band has dropped off since. I still enjoy AC and OK but it’s not the same for me? Idk ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BigMouth likes this.
  20. this kinda makes sense based on the rest of the conversations in here. those two albums exist in a very specific space for the maine. I don't think there's anything wrong with preferring it if that's what speaks to you from their catalogue

BigMouth and mattylikesfilms like this.
  21. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I definitely don't dislike those two albums, but I remember thinking back in 2009/2010 that The Maine were one of the few bands of their era that really knew how to write great pop songs. When Pioneer came out, it kind of caught me off guard. It was a pretty sizable shift in sound/approach and I felt like they'd kind of abandoned what I liked about them. (That album also came out really late in the year, so I think I gave it less of a chance than I would have if it came out in, say, July.)

That album and Forever Halloween make a lot more sense to me after the band's last three albums, but to me, those are the transitional albums. They're building a base of the kind of darker, more substantive songwriting the band would perfect (IMO) with American Candy and Lovely Little Lonely. But I remember hearing American Candy and being like "Ok, they're bringing back some of that 'pop band' energy of their first two albums," and being excited about that.

I should give Pioneer and Halloween a revisit, though; it's been awhile. Maybe I'm due for a full discography run before the new album comes out.

BigMouth likes this.
  22. Anthony_

The Maine are probably the best band to come from that 2006-2008 neon era by far. Even going back and listening to CSWS, it hasn't aged anywhere near as poorly as so many of their contemporaries' debut albums have.

23. I enjoy some of the stuff on CSWS over some of their more modern stuff lmao

meggers and Anthony_ like this.
  24. We All Roll Along might legitimately be my most played song of all time.

Obviously most of that was from 2008 but still

meggers and Anthony_ like this.
  25. Anthony_

We'll All Be... is still one of the best end of summer jams all these years later

meggers likes this.