Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Maine – Lovely, Little, Lonely

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The Maine has come a long way since the release of their debut full-length album, Can’t Stop, Won’t Stop. In the past decade they’ve grown from young kids with a dream into truly talented musicians – a fact that is evident in their latest album Lovely, Little, Lonely.

Even though each song on Lovely, Little Lonely is a hit in its own right, they make the most sense within the context of the whole. The album flows seamlessly from one song to the next and as a result The Maine succeeds in crafting a story that demands your full attention from start to finish.

Lovely, Little, Lonely starts out sure and confident in “Don’t Come Down,” a bright and hopeful track about living in the moment. It’s fun and carefree as John O’Callaghan opens the album with the lines: “Here’s to now/And nothing else.” But over the course of the album, the band realizes that they are no longer kids and that life is anything but certain.

“Bad Behavior” reflects that initial lighthearted disposition, but as the album continues listeners can hear the band take on more serious ideas. “Taxi” addresses the melancholy question: “Is the sadness everlasting?” Despite earnestly insisting, “Love, I think it is,” the song remains surprisingly hopeful and cheery.

In “The Sound Of Reverie” and “Lost In Nostalgia,” The Maine comes to grips with lost youth. “The Sound of Reverie” celebrates being alive despite no longer being seventeen in an infectious and bittersweet chorus (“We’re no longer seventeen/But we’re still young so/Dance with me in naivety”). Meanwhile “Lost In Nostalgia” is moodier with a funky bass line guiding the track – a different aesthetic for Lovely, Little, Lonely. The track is short yet bold, choosing not to dwell in the past but keep moving towards the future.

Sprinkled throughout the album are the transitional interludes that Lovely, Little, Lonely takes its title from. The longest of these is “Lonely,” which appears as the penultimate track. A wispy song that fuses ethereal electronic elements with forlorn piano and guitar melodies, “Lonely” is sad and sweet and beautiful. It gradually builds into a calming white noise that propels you into the album’s final minutes.

Closer “How Do You Feel” ends things on a high note; it’s warm and sincere, questioning while remaining optimistic. By asking listeners, “You are alive/but are you living,” it makes them think about what it truly means to be alive and challenges them to start living.

These days it’s common for people to focus on the singles from an album, but Lovely, Little, Lonely challenges listeners to re-evaluate the way they approach new music. It draws you in from start to finish with indie pop sensibilities, while remaining true to the band’s rock roots. The journey the band takes – realizing that they’re not as young as they once were and making the conscious effort to understand what that means – is one that everyone must take at some point in their lives. For many of The Maine’s fans this album may be the catalyst that starts it.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  2. mtriggall

I remember listening to The Maine when I was about 15, right around the time that first EP came out, and thinking The Way We Talk was a pretty catchy tune during. I never really listened to The Maine after that, but since All Time Low announced them as support for their Australian tour I thought I should check them out and boy was I floored.
    Started listening like a week or two ago and haven't stopped since. Everything from Pioneer to Lovely, Little, Lonely is amazing. I can't recall a band that has changed their sound THIS much. I really missed out on a lot of good years with this band.

Mr. Serotonin and SEANoftheDEAD like this.
  3. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Same thing happened to me. Totally wrote them off back in 2008ish. Just went back a few weeks ago and love their discography.

Mr. Serotonin and mtriggall like this.
  4. mtriggall

It's amazing. Not so big on Can't Stop, Won't Stop or Black & White. But Pioneer was amazing.

5. jorbjorb

7 rings

nice review. aoty

6. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

I probably haven't listened to these guys since 2008, but I am pleasently surprised with this album.

Mr. Serotonin and jorbjorb like this.
  7. DearCory

Regular

Great album and these guys put on a great show. I saw them last Friday, for the first time since the 2009 AP Tour, and they were absolutely wonderful. Some of the best crowd interaction and banter I've ever seen at a show. My only complaint is that I wish they would have played more from LLL

8. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

I'm hoping they get a good boost from the ATL tour. Should be great for them. In my opinion, I think they've got better songs :teethsmile:

They're just different artists now I suppose.

9. parkerxcore

Somebody's gonna miss us Supporter

Such a great album. Will be blasting it with the windows down all summer long.

10. Mr. Serotonin

I took a short break from it last week so I wouldn't get burnt out on it. I think it's time to go back again.

11. dipset

God I remember when this band first got signed and thinking they were the epitome of the silly boy band direction that pop punk was going at the time. But I gotta say even though they have continued to keep a bit of that distinction they have really nailed down their ability to write really solid pop music the last few releases that I've checked out just out of pure curiosity.

Good of them.

12. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

My AOTY and their best record imo. This record is just great

13. honkytonk

Narcissism on narcotics

I enjoyed Black and White but didn't listen to anything from these guys after that. After seeing the acclaim for this album, I'm gonna work my way from Pioneer to Lovely Little Lonely over the next couple weeks.

14. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

This is going to end up in my Top 10. Such a fantastic spring/summer album

15. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Also, about the actual review, I think your reviews could benefit from discussing your personal experience with the album. The best album reviews I have read have touched upon the music and how the album intertwined with their personal experiences at the time, rather than having general descriptors of the music and themes. Would love to hear how you as a reviewer connected (or didn't connect) with the music or artist!

16. DearCory

Regular

You just get ready for Pioneer... you're in for quite the treat!

17. Matt504

Trusted Prestigious

Can't wait till they announce the fall tour, hope it has a New Orleans date...

18. becky kovach

Thanks so much for the feedback, truly appreciate it! I'll be sure to keep that in mind for future reviews =)

19. BlackwingE

Trusted

I'm searching for users who would be interested in a The Maine bracket, which I'm thinking about doing very soon. Head over to the band thread and let me know if you want to join.

20. BlackwingE

Trusted

21. Matt504

Trusted Prestigious

upload_2018-7-29_18-35-0.jpeg

22. Mr. Serotonin

23. Matt504

Trusted Prestigious

Nothin much lol