Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Maine – “Black Butterflies and Déjà Vu” • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Mar 2, 2017.

1. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I disagree. Songs like "When I'm At Home", "Misery", and "My Heroine" are songs that haven't been topped. Pioneer has so many strong tracks that are fully realized. I can't say the same about the two records that came after it. Look no further than "Take What You Can Carry" as an example of a half baked song that could be so much more. It's a good song but it's not hitting it's own potential and that's how I feel it's been for the band after Pioneer.

The deluxe songs on FH beat out the songs that actually made the cut in my eyes ("Ice Cave" is a goddamn JAM) as well. Also, American Candy has solid tracks too and I wouldn't say it's their weakest. "My Hair", "24 Floors", "American Candy", and "Diet Soda Society" are pretty solid. I would say it's probably tied with FH in quality IMO.

2. jco3

Regular

Damn, that was great. Loved the hi-hat action during the chorus'/quieter moments.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  3. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

When I'm at Home is SOOOO good.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  4. MikeC18

I've been listening to them non stop over the past month or so. I made a Spotify playlist with their last 3 albums and just put it on shuffle.

Birthday in Los Angeles is such a simple but great song.

5. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I'm with you on the first two points, but I'm not so into Pioneer.

6. jorbjorb

7 rings

these guys keep getting better and better.. I loved the production on american candy. Top notch for sure.

7. GetUpAndrew

Constant horror and bone-deep dissatisfaction.

Same for me, I love that late-90s vibe that The Maine have incorporated into their sound since Pioneer. And of course I'm a huge Third Eye Blind fan.

8. GetUpAndrew

Really? I've always thought that Forever Halloween was their best record. But I can fully understand your position, it's quite different from the rest of their catalogue. Have you ever heard the bonus tracks from the deluxe edition?

9. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

Going to the Summer Gods tour?

10. felipecardel

formless in the night Prestigious

i'm a new fan so i've only heard Forever Halloween and American Candy but both are very good with the former having a few forgettable moments

11. Take What You Can Carry is such a fun jam though! And the post-rock burnout of the title track on FH is soooo good. I will agree that the bonus tracks complete the album. Also, Pioneer does have some of the band's absolute best work, but as a record has a couple songs that are just okay in comparison, while I think FH is consistent throughout. I can't name a song or even a part I dislike on FH, while I can on Pioneer (that is, name parts of the record that don't hit as hard for me).

Also, I didn't say American Candy was their weakest, I said it was their weakest since Black and White (which is most definitely their weakest imo). I would rank them like this: FH > Pioneer > American Candy > Can't Stop Won't Stop > Black & White.

12. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

It's in my top 3 of songs by them. Feels every time.

13. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Oh I misread your comment. My bad. I was initially let down by FH (spent ridiculous amounts on their vinyl preorder) but once I heard the deluxe tracks I was into it. I have no idea why they chose to leave "Ugly On The Inside", "Bliss", "and "Ice Cave". Those three beat out most of the tracks that made FH for me. "Ugly.." could have been a solid single. "Take What You Can Carry" is good but I feel like it was written around the chorus and they threw in filler to finish it. If they really fleshed out that track.. could be one of their best. That's my whole problem with the band these days... big choruses but weak verses/bridges. I still enjoy FH and Candy as well but I'm forever loyal to Pioneer personally.

Black and White also has some really good songs and some really bad ones too. Still love "Inside of You", "Don't Stop Now", and "Colors".

14. B&W is for the most part p bad but Inside Of You is a certified banger

15. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

The new song is so good. I can't stop listening to it, especially from the bridge to the end. What a jam.

16. Yeah Black and White has some really good tracks (see below) but some completely inane tracks also. It's basically the sonic equivalent of growing pains. We'll have to agree to disagree on FH except about the bonus tracks, no idea why those weren't on the record.

FACTS.

17. GetUpAndrew

Wish I could, I've never seen 3EB live, but I live in Italy.

18. honkytonk

Narcissism on narcotics

Haven't given a listen to these guys since Black & White. This song is awesome! Exactly what I was feeling today. Will definitely be checking out the back catalogue.

19. aniafc

Trusted

Pioneer is definitely the place to pick back up, then work your way forward

20. jorbjorb

7 rings

gonna be my aoty probably

21. lunamariexo

If anyone's interested in preordering the maine's new album, I'm trying to win a contest for it. If you preorder it through my link it'll help me out. Thanks to anyone who does :) My benefit aside, i think this album is gonna be sick based on the two songs they've released already. You can really hear their growth as a band so far.

the link to preorder: http://bit.ly/2n1dBa8