Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Magicians (SyFy) TV Show

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by fastlife, Apr 5, 2016.

1. fastlife

Regular Supporter

Haven't seen a thread created for this yet. Anyone still watching?

I loved the books, but the show's made some interesting changes that have been fun to watch. Also cool to finally get a glimpse of Fillory.

2. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

It's on my list to watch. I've heard nothing but good things about it!

3. Raku

Regular

After the seasons finishes airing I'm going to binge watch it.

4. younglikeme

ii // YLM

My favorite new show of this year, easily. I didn't LOVE the books but the translation to TV has done nothing but enhance the good parts & cut the fat off everything else. I couldn't recommend this show more.

5. The pacing of the show can be very weird and I feel like if I hadn't read the books I wouldn't understand half the stuff they seem to breeze past. I really love this show though, despite its faults.

6. NewSurrender

Regular Prestigious

I'm still only three episodes into this. I started this, Shadowhunters and The Shanarra Chronicles all at the same time but fell behind on all of them. Of the three I probably enjoyed Shanarra the most

7. younglikeme

ii // YLM

The way the last episode ended though?! Killer.

8. ragnarokstar

Regular

This is the best show on tv currently. It is one of those rare times when the show is better than the book.

9. fastlife

Regular Supporter

I don't consider the show better than the book personally, but I enjoy both versions the same amount for different reasons. Think the direction the show went in is just right for a TV adaptation.

10. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I read all three books this year and I'm current on the show. The show is a very fun adaptation of the first novel (with select bits of the second), that - as said above - cuts a lot of fat.

However, the second and third books are on a completely different level than the first one so I have high hopes for next season.

11. Mick

FKA tell that mick Prestigious

I've read the series multiple times and checked out the very first episode way back when and thought it had potential. But then I just never followed up with it and my brother, who is equally as into the books as I am, said it was actually pretty terrible—especially the acting. Maybe I shouldn't be listening to him given everyone's thoughts in this thread so far?

12. Garrett

Oh man. That finale captured the voice and tone of the books perfectly. I'm even okay with the changes. Definitely think they handled That Scene with really good tact and appreciate the hotline at the end.

13. fastlife

Regular Supporter

Well, that was intense. Didn't realize this week was the season finale. Interesting part to end the story at.

14. dash64

This is my design

Well damn, that was intense.

15. FlayedManOfSF

Trusted

That was an intense finale. Bring on Season 2!

16. finnyscott

I'm from New York. No, not the city.

That finale was incredible. I just got the book so I'm gonna read the trilogy before season 2 comes out.

17. younglikeme

ii // YLM

WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED AT THE END!? I know this season was the first two books in one but they also changed what happens in the fight with the beast like, a lot & now I have no idea what is going on because it really puts a wrinkle in the continuity of everything in the books... which I'm not totally opposed to it's just like well, now what? because nothing ended like it "should have"

18. alextisonfire

https://soundcloud.com/beerherepodcast Supporter

Quite a bit different from the books. I wasn't sure whether or not they were going to address that one Julia plot point this season... They did it surprisingly well.

Overall this was a fun first season. I had a few issues with some of the acting/plot pacing but am definitely looking forward to season 2.

younglikeme likes this.
  19. Kaduck

Regular

Just binged the entire season yesterday I'm not sure how I'm going to feel about this in a weeks time. I really enjoyed the books, and with the changes that were made, just made it seem a bit off. I know the changes were made to make the story work better for tv, but in my opinion the story doesn't work as well. That, and the pacing of the episodes seemed really fast. I feel if I had not read the books, I wouldn't have been able to keep up with what was happening. At the same time though, I might have enjoyed the show a bit more. Will watch season two though. Interested enough to see how they do that, with the changes that they have made.

Whalejaw and Garrett L. like this.
  20. Kellan

@kellanthomas Prestigious

Three episodes in. Not sure what I think yet. I will keep watching forever because I loved the books so much though.

As mentioned above the pace can feel weird at times. I like their versions of Penny and of Dean Fogg.

21. Garrett

The pacing is weird because it takes four years of plot and doesn't exactly squish it down all that well. Still a ton of fun. Debating rewatching the season before season two starts.

22. Kellan

@kellanthomas Prestigious

You mean four years of Brakebills? I feel like it was squished in the first book too. I've read online that they deviate a lot, is there some semblance of the book plot later on?

Interesting what they did with Alice's brother, [book spoilers] I assume that's to set up when she gets turned into a niffin

Garrett L. likes this.
  23. Garrett

Yeah, the four years there did feel oddly paced in the book, too. Which I think made adapting it weirder. There is book plot as it goes on.

24. I've been rewatching this in preparation of season 2.

25. fastlife

Regular Supporter

If any of you are in NYC, there's a cool looking and (FREE!) Magicians promo called the Hall of Magic running from the 20th-29th.

Garrett L. likes this.