Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Maccabees Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Wall Of Arms, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Wall Of Arms

LIGHTEN UP, BUTTERCUP Prestigious

Had to be done.

Seeing this band go from strength-to-strength and working their way up with constant evolution has made me so proud. over 10 years as a band and constantly experimenting and bettering themselves and now they've been given the opportunity to be a festival headliner band in the UK which will open even more doors moving forward. Will be there with bells on this year:

[​IMG]

2. saturdaysaviour

Regular

I think today will be a Wall of Arms day, it's been a while.

Wall Of Arms likes this.
  3. Wall Of Arms

Yeah bye, I'm done - as anybody who knows me can imagine:

[​IMG]

4. George

Trusted Prestigious

Oh shit!

5. saturdaysaviour

Regular

Well, I did not see that coming...

6. Hallowsandhoots

formerly alligator blood Prestigious

Poor Kyle.. :(

7. indecipherable

levitate levitate levitate levitate Prestigious

Weird. I thought they were doing pretty well.

8. Wall Of Arms

They are, literally at their peak. So it's kind of great that they're going out on their all-time high. Just headlined their first ever main stage at a festival a couple of weeks ago alongside The National and New Order - killing it creatively, critically and professionally.

9. Wall Of Arms

10. Mclusky30

I'm having a Maccabees day. I did not appreciate them enough but they left behind one of the best discographies ever. It takes an incredible strength to call it quits at the top of your game.

I don't understand why this band isn't bigger on here. I can only think people are like me and havent really given them a chance yet. If you're that person, I'd ask you to change that.

Great band.

Wall Of Arms likes this.
  11. saturdaysaviour

Regular

Just got tickets to their last ever show. The hype is real!

12. Wall Of Arms

See you there! I'm at both London shows!

saturdaysaviour likes this.
  13. Wall Of Arms

That time of year:

14. indecipherable

levitate levitate levitate levitate Prestigious

15. Wall Of Arms

Ehhhh in the actual video interview he just says that he's always writing music and will undoubtedly do something in the future but right now he's focused on YALA! Records basically. There's nothing definitive, just that he's never not writing whilst he's doing other things - which is pretty much the case for any musician. Which is fucking fantastic anyways, I love what he's doing with YALA! and went to one of the nights they put on recently for Crows headline show - one of the best live nights I've ever been to and best live bands I've ever seen.

16. Wall Of Arms

Turns out he has been writing a record.

This is it. Tonight is the beginning of the end: first of their final two shows and I'm heading off. I'll be crying the whole time k bye.

17. saturdaysaviour

Regular

I'm going tomorrow!

18. Wall Of Arms

The farewell shows were the best nights of my life with some genuine sadness, but a real celebration.

In other news, Orlando is releasing his first book published by an arm of Penguin Books which also features a soundtrack with narration and new music:

"The Gritterman is the first book written and illustrated by Orlando Weeks. The book will be published by Particular Books, an imprint of Penguin Books and will be available in all good book shops. The album is a companion to the book and stars Paul Whitehouse as The Gritterman. His narration of the text is accompanied by music and songs written by Orlando Weeks and produced by Markus Dravs."

'Sometimes it feels like I might be the only person awake in the whole country. People might find that a lonely thought. Not me...'

As the rest of the world sleeps, the Gritterman goes out to work. Through the wind and the snow. Through the blue-black hours when time slips away, he grits the paths and the pavements and the roads. For him, a life without gritting is no life at all...

A song for the unsung hero, this is a story about stoicism, dignity and a man leaving behind the work that he loves. It is accompanied by the author's own illustrations.

19. Wall Of Arms

Ordered. Mainly for the rare/unreleased music vinyl and FINALLY getting to see Elephany Days...and because they can have my money for anything:

The Complete Collection

20. saturdaysaviour

Regular

Went to the last farewell show on the Saturday, but it was definitely emotional. They've always put on a good show but that was something else! Also loved the crowd singing 'Something Like Happiness' after the encore.

21. Wall Of Arms

Legitimately walking all the way back past the train station crowds were still singing it. We stopped at a pub on the way back down the hill and crowds passed by still singing it. It was something else. I was there Friday and Saturday - Friday was really emotionally because it was hearing a lot of those songs for the first time in a while - for some of the last times but because of that I was able to enjoy the last night a lot more without crying 100% of the time haha.

Relevant: