Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Lost City Of Z (James Gray, April 21 2017) Movie • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Morrissey

Trusted

You are missing out. Two Lovers and the Immigrant are great films.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  2. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

I liked it, but I can't help but imagine how amazing Cumberbatch would have been in this. Hunnam was good, but I'm more surprised by how much I enjoyed Robert Pattinson's role.

3. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Sitting down for this right now. Can't wait.

Aregala likes this.
  4. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Same

Aregala likes this.
  5. Anthony_

I have to say, this was a lot to take in. First of all it was just beautifully made. The visuals were incredible. I also had no idea Charlie Hunnam had a performance like this in him. He impressed the hell out of me. The rest of the cast was great as well, especially Robert Pattinson (to nobody's surprise more than mine, I assure you). Also it was so weird to see Angus MacFayden playing a blithering coward after watching him kick ass for three years on Turn.

The themes of the movie are classic, obviously, but the way it plays out is so well-paced, well-written, and well-acted that it feels fresher than it actually is, in a way. This one is going to be on my year-end list, I'm sure.

6. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Have you not seen anything Pattinson has done the last 5 years? Guy has been working with an impressive list of directors. Watch Cosmopolis immediately if you haven't seen it.

Aregala likes this.
  7. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

This is James Gray's The Treasure of Sierra Madre

fenway89 likes this.
  8. Morrissey

Trusted

I am always surprised at these views people have on actors based on obviously horrible films. It would be like forming an opinion on Robert DeNiro based on his efforts in Rocky and Bullwinkle.

fenway89 and coleslawed like this.
  9. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

I assume you're talking about Pattinson and if so I agree with you there, but Hunnam had never before given me an inkling that he had as a solid a performance as this in him.

10. Anthony_

I didn't realize I had to justify personally disliking an actor though haha

11. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Pattinson is great in The Rover

12. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

I loved this. I'm just starting the book now. The visuals in this were gorgeous. The acting was all excellent. Pattinson is definitely reliable the past few years and this might be my favorite from him. I though Hunnam was excellent. I love the last bit with him and his son.

13. Morrissey

Trusted

I like this better with some time to think about it. Other than The Immigrant, it takes some time for Gray films to grow on me because of how understated they are. Two Lovers took me some time as well.

fenway89 likes this.
  14. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

Yeah, understated is the best way to describe this. My wife got bored because she expected more adventure, but I really like the approach to it.

15. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

This one has kind of evaporated quickly for me. I would like to see it again though.

16. nchlsnwtn

Regular Prestigious

caught this one last night. i loved it. might be the best film i've seen all year so far

coleslawed and fenway89 like this.
  17. Morrissey

Trusted

I saw it again on Sunday. I liked it more, but it still is not quite at his earlier levels.

Aregala likes this.
  18. Noticed this was on Amazon Prime now. Kind of want to check it out.

gonz (Alex) and fenway89 like this.
  19. nchlsnwtn

Regular Prestigious

Deff do. Then watch the rest of gray’s filmography; never heard of the man before “lost city”. Incredible body of work.

fenway89 and coleslawed like this.
  20. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I finally saw this last night and absolutely loved it. Kind of surprised I didn't hear much talk of it this year

21. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

was in my top 10!

I Am Mick and fenway89 like this.
  22. Not doing a list but off the dome I'd be surprised if this wasn't top 5 for me, and that's probably being conservative. Really loved it.