Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Lion King (Favreau, 7/19/2019) Movie • Page 9

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Blimp City Hero, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

The original Jungle Book, I think I said this earlier in the thread, would've benefitted from an improved version. This didn't need it

ChaseTx likes this.
  2. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I'm not saying their can't be both (By no means am I "This ruins the original!" type for any remake). But in being basically a shot-for-shot remake, it seems to misread what made the original special and strips the emotion and fluid motion of the animals to the point that it seems emotionless and weird.

RyanPm40, Slangster and OhTheWater like this.
  3. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Welp, guess I was right to be concerned

4. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Exactly. And I think it did with Favreau's version, especially since the human lead was so energetic and fitting for Mowgli.

ChaseTx likes this.
  5. Davjs

Trusted

I figured the run time alone would add more to it. The original is super short, like 90 mins right? The standard length of a movie now days is like 2 hours.

That is why I never worried about this, they are going to have to add in scenes and flesh more out to fill that that time. I thought it worked wonders for Jungle Book.

6. Davjs

Trusted

Good points.

7. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

8. Nathan

Also Ehrlich is great.

9. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Sounds like Ehrlich gets dunked on by quite a few cinephiles and even critics on twitter. Speaking for myself, I don't get the love or the hate for him

10. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I think he's fine. But he has an abrasiveness and sometimes a pettiness that a lot of people find grating.

11. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

His EOTY video essays are really great

Slangster and Zilla like this.
  12. Nathan

I haven’t seen any dunking

13. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

He tweeted something that made me mad in the last month. I forget what

14. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

I didn't expect this to get critical acclaim but I know critics and their "muh originality". A remake that doesn't need any fixing, like the lion king, won't sit well with some critics. This film was made to re-tell an almost perfect film, but with top notch animation. Also to make billions at the box office.

15. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

That's an interesting way to write off legitimate complaints.

16. Nathan

Disney increasingly depends on the “I don’t expect critics to like this” market

17. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Tell that to Dumbo

18. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I just find it weird being hyper defensive of a disney remake. It’ll be okay, you’ll get another nostalgia bomb in a year. Right on schedule

Ken, phaynes12, Zilla and 2 others like this.
  19. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

The only thing I find weird is when critics find it necessary to add story to a film like the Lion King and if it doesn't then it takes away from a great film somehow.

20. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Disney may be the best at convincing people they're your friend and not a corporation

I'll see this and I'm sure I'll enjoy it but I don't exactly condone it

21. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

Uhhhh holy shit the new version is bad. Why even include fun songs if you can’t do anything to match the energy visually?

22. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

"Just Can't Wait to Be King" is just as bad. Just the lions running through and riling up a bunch of animals.

23. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

I will agree that photo realistic was cool in theory, but for the songs it looks creepy.

24. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

It’s so true though, and it’s evident so much more-so in parks/resorts arena. The lengths I see people go to to justify the exorbitant yearly price increases and tack-ons and extra costs for anything under the sun is wild to me (and I am an avid disney’er) are the same people that take to facebook to slam any other company for even the slightest inconvenience. All under the guise of “disney magic”.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  25. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

Oh shit I didn’t realize the soundtrack is already out.